My second attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second attempt

Wasnt too happy with his head. Even after several rinses to get the conditioner out it was still kind of oil (used dematting spay as well on him)
    Attached Files

Dogs lucky to have any hair at all...you did good to leave him as much as you did. Maybe a clarifying shampoo to get rid of excess oils from the sprays?

Comment

i agree with yappiness about leaving as much hair as you did. That was a good thing.

however, i don't want to be over critical, but the dog looks dirty to me. The left front foot appears to be still dirty. instead of rinsing and rinsing maybe you should have re-shampooed the dog and hand scrubbed it. having a real clean dog would have enabled you to get a better finish and blow dry on the dog. Which would have helped get the legs even.

Comment

This is just my opinion of what i would have done on a dog like that. Pre-clip with a 5f if possible. If the owner allows the pet to get in this bad condition i dont reward them with trying to allow leaving as much hair as possible with a wet clip. After the clip i would have conditioned then dried with dematt spray. Finish with a round head if possible.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I too would have rewashed the dog, blown dried it, than use a blade that woud even it up most evenly all over.

Comment

What a pretty pup. I'm so glad you did such a good job. He wound up looking very nice. Great job indeed.

Comment

My motto at the shop is .. The Bath Is The Foundation To A Great Groom .. I agree with the others that a rebath was needed. I will send a dog back to my bather (when I have one) if its not clean enough and that includes me. That was a lot of work to leave any fur on the dog. Shame on the owners for letting her get that way. Doesn't it feel great to be a miracle worker haha... That's why they pay us the big bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by wendtd View Post
                What a pretty pup. I'm so glad you did such a good job. He wound up looking very nice. Great job indeed.
                Not trying to be rude, but i think a comparison is in order. Tho it may different dogs, the style she attempted is the same.

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...he-saying-goes

Comment

Wellll......

Looking at this picture just makes me want to brush up those legs and scissor them into neater columns, and start fussing with his head to balance it and fluff it and fix it. He does not look 'finished' to me.

His legs have enough hair left that they should have been scissored evenly/neatly (unless you just didn't care for this owner), plus even if you used dematting sprays (not sure why, you didn't need them for this result IMO), you can wash one more time with a decent shampoo and blow-dry better if you have the time. However, if all you have is an HV (no gentle heat dryer like a stand dryer or people dryer), I often see heads that end up looking like this.

Yes, the dog looks better than when he came in. I often threaten to quit working on a messy dog before I consider it 'done' (my excuse: "the owner keeps this dog in a state, I'm not gonna fuss more than this with him"). However, I know myself - I'd still fuss for a more finished and even look. And if I had the time and kept looking at this dog in his kennel, I'd break down and rebath and blowdry. I'd scissor up those legs, shorten/thin the ears rescissor the head and muzzle, all the while asking myself why I'm doing this on a dog that spends most of the time looking like a pound rescue, lol.

There are plenty of examples of dogs on this site (postings and blogs) that were taken this short and have a much more even finish (legs and head in particular), so you might want to look at them. Short/messy dog coming in does not have to result in uneven/unfinished look going out. Not counting rebathing and drying, I would have to spend 15-20 more minutes on this dog to consider it 'done' (speed is not my forte).

Comment

Funny thing is I did rewash the dog. Then blew it straight through. No stand dryer, just the HV.

Thinking back I should have just done a #4 on him. Normally I say screw it and would just shave the dog with a #10. But i had some extra time that day and was up for a challenge. Figured with it only being my second attempt I would take pics and more help from you guys.

Like I said, I wasnt too happy with it, but the owner was happy. Her excuse was that her parents watched the dog for the last 7 months. I find that hard to believe because I remember grooming the dog back at the old place I worked out and he was ALWAYS matted, no matter that I told them each time he came in to bring him in every 6 weeks.

I was talking to another gal on the NAPCG forums and I do know one of my faults is not knowing how to use thinning shears properly. I have not run across a single groomer who does. So I typically blend with my small curves and skim with a blade to blend. In the past few days I've been experimenting with them, and they hurt my hand just have a few cuts. I was going to post a whole new thread on this when I had time.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverStarWing View Post

I was talking to another gal on the NAPCG forums and I do know one of my faults is not knowing how to use thinning shears properly. I have not run across a single groomer who does.
                      Its a good thing you are here then! There are LOTS of members here who have great advice for stuff like this, and remember, keep an eye out for my webinar coming out in late February that discusses exactly this.
                      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

SSW,, I'm not sure what thinning shears has to do with wet shaving a matted dog?? But anyhoo, there are tons of FREE videos on youtube and other sites that show some of the top names in the industry using different methods. Wendy had one where she did the entire dog with her thinners, just watched a Eric Salas video on how to groom an American Cocker, and the body was done with thinners. Guess since I'm kinda still a newbie and have only been grooming 3 years, I am constantly trying to learn and improve my skills. There is lots of good info out there, ya just got to take the time if you want to learn new skills. Happy Googling!!!

Comment

Honestly on this type of coat I would not use thinners, I would use my small curves. poodle hair I only use the thinners on AFTER I shape it with shears to soften any scissor marks.
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Don't need thinners on this dog

Forget thinners on this dog. Not needed. Just scissoring.

Comment

Working...
                            X