Question about wet shaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wet shaving

I love to WS I have for about five yrs but today I had a very matted Aussie, I threw him into the tub but was unable to get the water completely to the skin, so I had to clip him and then give him another bath.(he still was stinky after the first bath).

Question is how would you have handled it differently .Would you have stripped off what you could and then Bathed and WS him?
    TIA Sherry

When they appear really matted

I shave first and bath second.

Comment

oestly. I feel dumb. What is wet shaving?

Comment

I haven't done the wet shave thing, however you could try getting the dog all soaped up, then still wet and soapy use the high velocity - it will help break it all up and get down to the skin.

Comment

Do you have a bathing system? That would help to force the shampoo down to the skin. A recirculating system does this quite well. If you do not have one try to soap up the dog really well, then use your HV on it to force the shampoo into the skin and then completely off the dog. HV until you can see the skin. Then do the whole process again. Follow with a rinse and conditioning, then rinse and HV. This should really get the dog clean and open up the coat to make the clipping much easier.

good luck,
          sittingpretty

Comment

I have to agree with the above post especially because I had to do something similar a few weeks ago. The nice thing about the recirculating bathing is that it really just shoots right down to the skin and not so much soap is wasted. It seems to even push the mats away from the skin.

Comment

There is tons of info on Wetshaving here on this forum (it has its own topic section) and my blog and website feature information about it as well. I have to say that with a bathing system, there have been very very few dogs I could not get wet at the skin. You direct the waterflow under the matting and it will run along the skin.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                There is tons of info on Wetshaving here on this forum (it has its own topic section) and my blog and website feature information about it as well. I have to say that with a bathing system, there have been very very few dogs I could not get wet at the skin. You direct the waterflow under the matting and it will run along the skin.
                Absolutely. I won't shave double coated dogs and trust me I get my share of OAY and even NEVER been groomed cr*p (can't stand it) but I get them done. All 3" of pelted mess blown out using HV, shampoo and conditioner. I'll take 4 hrs, or more, to do this and charge the client accordingly. If they freak at a $3-400 bill (being told upfront) the reminder that to spend only that much so far for a dog that should have cost more than that in a year, for the past X years (however old the dog is) is pretty good. That usually shuts them up.
                Remember, it's not your fault that the dog is in this condition, it's the owners, so don't own their problems. It's like bringing a car to a service shop that has never been seviced and expect them to fix 10 years of neglect for $100 bucks. It ain't gonna happen.

Comment

thanks guys

I think I will try the hv`ing with the conditioner next time, I do have a recirculator I guess that is why I was kind of surprised it did not work for me this time.

I guess it has been alone time since I have done a dog this messy. I thought I knew it all (LOL)

Thanks again Sherry

Comment

I don't have a bathing system, but I had a packed Sammie come in that hadn't been groomed in a year. It felt pelted. I HV'ed the shampoo in, and then HV'ed the conditioner in. I didn't have to shave one part of that dog. It took me 4 hours. Good thing the dog was good. I usually HV my shampoo AND conditioner into every double coated dog that hasn't been in in a while. Love the results.

Comment

Working...
                    X