Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frist wet clip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frist wet clip

    I did my first wet clip on a flithy matted cocker infested with fleas. I did it in the tub so as not to get fleas in front portion of my shop. If I had clipped her dry I would have used a #10 but I used a #7 on her body and it worked great!
    I really like this for matted icky dogs!
    I really do learn so much here, I would never have thought of this on my own. Sorry, forgot to take picture, I will next time. Flea season is really upon us here in south florida.

  • #2
    What?

    What is a wet clip? I have never heard of it.

    Comment


    • #3
      PLEASE tell me you used a cordless clipper! If you didn't, be advised you should never clip in a tub with a corded clipper. EVER!
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

      Comment


      • #4
        Search for more info

        Originally posted by luckydoggrooming View Post
        What is a wet clip? I have never heard of it.
        Lots of info here about wet clipping/wet shaving. I personally do not do it, but many here who do matted messes love it.

        Do a search for it, and/or go to the forum to "Techniques Category" and then "Wet Clipping".

        And take note of Particentral's post about not doing it with a corded clipper, although I suppose if you have a GFI circuit (like the kind in the bathroom where you plug a hair dryer in) that should do the trick to prevent electrocution.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
          Lots of info here about wet clipping/wet shaving. I personally do not do it, but many here who do matted messes love it.

          Do a search for it, and/or go to the forum to "Techniques Category" and then "Wet Clipping".

          And take note of Particentral's post about not doing it with a corded clipper, although I suppose if you have a GFI circuit (like the kind in the bathroom where you plug a hair dryer in) that should do the trick to prevent electrocution.
          Even with a gfci it's dangerous, like using a hair dryer in the tub.

          TOO much risk. A frayed cord, drop the clipper into standing water or any number of things can go wrong and it's just bettr to say DOn't!
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a GFI circut, but I am a scardy cat by nature--I bought one of those aweful heavy cordless oster clippers! It has two batteries and I hate it but I kept it to use for wet clipping so as to be double safe.
            I'm with everyone here, if your going to wet clip BE SAFE, also remember to blow out and dry your blades, then oil or you'll have a rust problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
              I have a GFI circut, but I am a scardy cat by nature--I bought one of those aweful heavy cordless oster clippers! It has two batteries and I hate it but I kept it to use for wet clipping so as to be double safe.
              I'm with everyone here, if your going to wet clip BE SAFE, also remember to blow out and dry your blades, then oil or you'll have a rust problem.
              GOOD GIRL! I have it easier in that I have a table near my tub, so the dog goes from tub to table. I use a Laube Lightening corded clipper and go from there. The Laubes are safer than other clippers in the wet areas because of how they are made. I cannot explain it, but it has something to do with the transformer on the cord. AC DC and all that mess. Its gobbeldy gook to me as is dogs to an electrician!
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

              Comment


              • #8
                I use laube clippers on everthing else, thats my next step to get the battery pack for them (have 2pair case one goes down) I love them. For me, they are by far the most superior clipper!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
                  I use laube clippers on everthing else, thats my next step to get the battery pack for them (have 2pair case one goes down) I love them. For me, they are by far the most superior clipper!
                  Me too :-)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am so glad I learned how to wet clip!

                    Before it was scrub a dub dub, gross doggy in the tub, who never would come clean!
                    Now, thanks to this board, I wet clip a lot! I love it.
                    It is easier on my blades, my nerves and on the dogs skin, no heating up of the blades.
                    If you have never tried this, go for it, you won't be disappointed ~!

                    thanks to everyone on here who helped me learn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
                      I have a GFI circut, but I am a scardy cat by nature--I bought one of those aweful heavy cordless oster clippers! It has two batteries and I hate it but I kept it to use for wet clipping so as to be double safe.
                      I'm with everyone here, if your going to wet clip BE SAFE, also remember to blow out and dry your blades, then oil or you'll have a rust problem.
                      I had a lot of success with the real bad pelts wetshaving with the speed feed on #9. I love that thing.!
                      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                      Quote:Cath

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use corded clippers in a CGIF plug but

                        I don't wet clip in the tub. I wash the dog, then rinse well and add a light conditioner and rub that into the dogs fur. I them pick up the soaked dog and place it on my table which has a large puppy training pad on it, and shave away. I also have some watered down conditioner in a bottle in case I need to add more to an area.
                        I then put doggy back in the tub for another shampoo and towel dry it and put it in an x large kennel with a towel in it for a few minutes so the dog can shake out rub himself against everything while I clean up! No hair on the floor so it makes clean up a breeze!
                        I then fold up the puppy pad and toss it in the garbage. at this time I clean my blades well and dry well then oil them. Then it's time to get the dog out and start drying and touch up a bit, then out the door he goes! Smelling great, no irritation, and clean and free of matts!

                        I decided to do this after reading a blog (Debbi Hilley's I think) and I love this technique. It requires no extra time really, clean up is a breeze and my blades don't heat up and the dogs don't get clipper burned. Also while the hair is wet it makes the skin easy to see as the hair is pulling away from it a bit. So I can really pay attention to the skin condition, look for lumps and bumps and other things I might not have seen by pre-clipping the matts out, then bathing, and clipping again.

                        For me, this works, and I am so glad I learned about it on here, I never would have thought to do this on my own. I was afraid to try it at first, but I got a pep talk, and was told to give it a shot, and sure enough, I love it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                          Even with a gfci it's dangerous, like using a hair dryer in the tub.

                          TOO much risk. A frayed cord, drop the clipper into standing water or any number of things can go wrong and it's just bettr to say DOn't!
                          I'm just curious as to why anyone would leave water in the tub when they wet clip a dog. It seems so me I'd want the water out of the tub so I'd be able to clean the hair out easily, just like when I do a brush out in the tub to remove undercoat. I drain the tub so I don't have wet clumps of fur swirling in tub water. The fur is just slapped against the tub where I can gather it up easily when done.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Glue, thank you for the details. I don't wet clip often, but I like your method very much, especially the puppy pad! Genius. I'd really like a cordless clipper. Another thing on my wish list.

                            Originally posted by gluergirl View Post
                            I don't wet clip in the tub. I wash the dog, then rinse well and add a light conditioner and rub that into the dogs fur. I them pick up the soaked dog and place it on my table which has a large puppy training pad on it, and shave away. I also have some watered down conditioner in a bottle in case I need to add more to an area.
                            I then put doggy back in the tub for another shampoo and towel dry it and put it in an x large kennel with a towel in it for a few minutes so the dog can shake out rub himself against everything while I clean up! No hair on the floor so it makes clean up a breeze!
                            I then fold up the puppy pad and toss it in the garbage. at this time I clean my blades well and dry well then oil them. Then it's time to get the dog out and start drying and touch up a bit, then out the door he goes! Smelling great, no irritation, and clean and free of matts!

                            I decided to do this after reading a blog (Debbi Hilley's I think) and I love this technique. It requires no extra time really, clean up is a breeze and my blades don't heat up and the dogs don't get clipper burned. Also while the hair is wet it makes the skin easy to see as the hair is pulling away from it a bit. So I can really pay attention to the skin condition, look for lumps and bumps and other things I might not have seen by pre-clipping the matts out, then bathing, and clipping again.

                            For me, this works, and I am so glad I learned about it on here, I never would have thought to do this on my own. I was afraid to try it at first, but I got a pep talk, and was told to give it a shot, and sure enough, I love it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wendt, I wanted to explain about the water in the tub. SOMETIMES a drain becomes clogged with hair and you make think the water is out but it isn't, or in my case you may think the plug has been moved but it slides back in place. My drain is in the center of the tub and the tub itself doesn't fully drain for several minutes after the bathing is done. THAT is how a tub could have standing water, along with people who just have no common sense, think they are going to use the recirculator to wash him AGAIN and catch rinsewater in the tub to use to wash with......yes, that is from personal experience and NO She didnt stay......
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X