Wet shave a non matted dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet shave a non matted dog?

So I saw in a thread recently somewhere (may not have been here) that someone wet shaves a big hairy (actually, I think THEY mentioned a lab) if they're getting stripped down, but they're not matted. Example, a Samoyed or Newfie that someone wants in a summer cut but isn't matted. Would you still bathe, dry completely, then shave? Or would you wet shave then dry what's left then reshave what needs to be finished?

I've done a few wet shaves before on matted dogs, but I'd definitely have to have a 2nd pair of clippers for it because the CV attachment on my Andis get soooo in the way. I'm sure it could somehow cut down time, but it also makes a bit of a mess to clean in the tub.

If you WOULD do this, would you use a comb attachment, or is that not practical or safe?

Any thoughts?

So I guess no one has any ideas or suggestions? No one's shaved a non-matted big hairy to avoid drying it all?

Comment

i think it was...

i guess not LOL! and i think it was a st. bernard or something??? something big that had alot of coat.
      Hound

Comment

I didn't notice this post until today.

Saturday I had a St. Poodle come in that gets done every 5 weeks and is done with a #5 A/O. Well the last appt. client said just do a B&B and a neaten up, which I did. It had been really cold and didn't want her taken down like normal. Well Sat. she was really long and client wanted her short again. I just didn't feel like bathing her, drying her and then saving her. Just didn't want to dry all that hair, so I wet shaved her with a #5, dried her and it took me about 1 1/2 hrs, that is what I normally spend on her. I felt it saved me at least 30 min doing it this way.

I don't use a cv so I don't have to worry about the attachment that you do, one clipper works fine for me.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

First thing...If you are wet shaving in the tub you should be using a cordless clipper. I put my dogs on the table on a 30x30 paper sheet. ($store plastic backed banquet table clothe). I wetshave a CockaPoo the other day who was not matted. I wetshave Shitzus too when I change their grooms from their longer winter coats to their smoothie summer looks.
          I just don't like to spend the time and energy(HV Mobile) drying the hair that is going to be shaved off.

Comment

Wet shaving a dog that isn't matted hasn't seemed to work very well, in my experience. When the hair isn't all held together in a wad of matted up felt, it clogs the clipper blade a lot more. You waste so much time stopping to unclog the blade, it isn't any faster than drying first. Plus you still have to clip again once the dog is dry.

Comment

I dont really get big hairy shave downs here but If I was shaving down, say a Newfie & it was going to be short, then yes I would wet shave it.
              wash, shave, dry & finnish.. thats a lotta hair id rather not dry..
              I have a couple cockers with super thick coats I do this way. pre-shaving would just trash my blades & its faster to we shave after the bath & then dry & finnish than trying to dry there hair first

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                Wet shaving a dog that isn't matted hasn't seemed to work very well, in my experience. When the hair isn't all held together in a wad of matted up felt, it clogs the clipper blade a lot more. You waste so much time stopping to unclog the blade, it isn't any faster than drying first. Plus you still have to clip again once the dog is dry.
                The couple I have done that haven't been matted has never clogged my clippers. They just go right through. I saved at least 30 min on the last St. Poo that I did.
                Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                  The couple I have done that haven't been matted has never clogged my clippers. They just go right through. I saved at least 30 min on the last St. Poo that I did.
                  I could see it on a st. poodle. Yeah, I guess it probably wouldn't clog the blade. But on a dog like a Newfie or Sammy...or the dreaded overgrown but not matted cocker...those are the types of coats that I've tried it on, and the blades just filled with wet hair and I had to keep stopping and clearing them out.

Comment

I wondered about this too. I did my first wet shave ever last week and it did leave the coat longer (very matted). I also did the dog on the table and used my CV. I figured it probably wasn't a very good idea of the wet hair going into the CV but tried it anyway. Has anyone had any problems using the CV, like the wet hair getting caught up inside? I have a shopvac attachment too that might work better???

Comment

Wow, replies! YAY!

I haven't had the need to try it yet. I was just wondering if it would be something worth trying if it came up. I have a massive male Great Pyr coming in in a week or so. I don't think I have to shave him, but if I need to, I might try the wet shave. If it doesn't work, I'll just dry him and shave him after. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                        I could see it on a st. poodle. Yeah, I guess it probably wouldn't clog the blade. But on a dog like a Newfie or Sammy...or the dreaded overgrown but not matted cocker...those are the types of coats that I've tried it on, and the blades just filled with wet hair and I had to keep stopping and clearing them out.
                        Ok, I gotcha. I haven't tried it on any of the dogs you have mentioned, but I can see where you're coming from now. Thanks for setting me straight.

Gee for a moment there I thought "Wow, I can do something better than Helly" LOL Should have known better. hehehehe
                        Diane

Comment

I wash and dry the big hairys, only becaus eI use a clipper vac and I hate how it smells when you suckup dirty hair.

Comment

clean dogs?

When you first wash a dog before clipping it I would think the dog wouldn't get clean? How does the water get down to the skin and clean it. I have never tried wet clipping but want to try it tomorrow on my first good candidate. LOL. "What, you DON'T want me to shave your Husky"?!

Comment

Originally posted by SCISSORHANDS View Post
                              When you first wash a dog before clipping it I would think the dog wouldn't get clean? How does the water get down to the skin and clean it. I have never tried wet clipping but want to try it tomorrow on my first good candidate. LOL. "What, you DON'T want me to shave your Husky"?!
                              Sometimes (most times) you have to put the dog back in the tub for another bath after the shave. The first bath isn't really to get the dog super clean. It's to get him wet and rinse out the majority of the dirt. Make it a quick one. Clip, rebathe and give him a good scrub this time. Then procede as you normally would

Comment

Working...
                              X