X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smart-n-Pretty
    Grand Champion & Club 5,000
    • Sep 2007

CAD, I agree with all the groomers so far in principle, but, just so you don't have to have this argument with clients I think you should probably say you are booked and leave it at that.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

• Poodleboy60
      Miniature Member
      • Nov 2007

Glad to see you've lost the guilt. Now just try to keep that mindset when you come back all tan from the outerbanks. You deserve to take care of yourself first, and then your clients. When you're rested all those other little annoyances of the day are easier to keep in perspective.

Have a margarita for me!

Comment

• Moonpiepoodlz
        • Sep 2007

"don't p*** off the groomer"[/QUOTE]

That's my motto for those who have a grooming business and leave it to somebody else to run. The lady who owned the grooming school pissed me off one time too many--I left and took my business with me which means she doesn't have a business anymore!

Ya don't piss off the groomer!!
        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
        Apparently common sense isn't all that common
        *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

• keyray
          • Mar 2007

Hunny, you need to enjoy your life. I absolutely LOVE being a groomer but I did not feel guilty for one single moment during my last vacation. I took A ENTIRE MONTH OFF! Why on earth would I feel guilty? I work my butt off for my customers and I would do anything for them, but I need to have fun too.

All my regular clients were excited for me. The only people that complained were the people that only come once or twice a year and expect that they should be able to get in the next day (which they can't do anyways).

Next year it's either going to be South America, Scandinavia or China. It won't be a month, but I won't feel bad about it for a minute.
          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• sheilabgroomer
            Champion Member & Club 1,000
            • Jan 2007

You have gotten some great responses, and I agree with everybody. It seems to me that you are in a great position since you are fully booked months out. You can start to "cull the weeds". That is, get rid on the noisome, aggrivating clients who seem to think that you live only to see them. Yell at you for taking a vacation? I don't think so, that is when you politely tell them that you don't think you can best serve their needs and they need to find someone who can. Refer them to a groomer that you don't like .....(lol j/k). Anyway girl, take your vacation, have fun, and put it in perspective. It is ONLY pet grooming, not life threatening brain surgery!!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

• SpikeyTheYorkie
              Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by keyray View Post
              Next year it's either going to be South America, Scandinavia or China. It won't be a month, but I won't feel bad about it for a minute.
              Hey, Keyray, since you'll probably end up going on the animal hospital river rafting trip with me this year, does that mean you'll take me to China or Scandinavia or South America when you go?

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

• Helly
                • Jan 2007

I agree with everyone else; take your vacation, have fun, don't waste one minute of it feeling guilty, or even thinking about dog grooming. And do the same thing next year, and the next, and the next.

I make a point of taking at least one week, and several long weekends, off. I just mark off when I plan to go, and don't book any appointments on those days. My clients do not need to know that I'm on vacation. They don't need to know I'm not in on those days. All they need to know is that there are no appointments available on those days.

But if you think they're screaming about one week, imagine what they do when you're off work for three months due to surgery. LOL. I'll bet folks in Michigan heard the screams, and I'm in southern Illinois.

Comment

• keyray
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                  Hey, Keyray, since you'll probably end up going on the animal hospital river rafting trip with me this year, does that mean you'll take me to China or Scandinavia or South America when you go?

Tammy in Utah
                  This sounds really sappy but if I had the money I would take everyone with me! Going with friends is the best way to travel!
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• carlysadream
                    Puppy Member
                    • May 2008

clients don't even know about vacation

My clients don't even know about me taking a vacation, as far as I know. I never told anyone. since I don't make the appointments I don't get to say anything to the owners and I don't think it would make any difference if they knew or not, they would still have a fit. It is just so irritating and stresses the h*** out of me. since I don't own the business I am very limited to what I can and can't say to the clients, I don't want to lose my job if I get a little "tough" with the clients, because if I make them angry they may not be the vet's client anymore either.

And yes, you are all right.........I need to get a life. I go work and when I'm not at work I'm either training or showing my shar pei, That's about it.

So with all your encourgement I'll have a drink for all my new supportive friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X