The Wet Shave!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wet Shave!

So i took the plunge and did my first wet shave yesterday...
    I had in a matted mini yorkshire terrorist - sorry - i mean TERRIER!
    He was a howler/screacher! I started with a #5 on his back - no problem there... But his little matted tummy- even with a #15, i had screaming screaching yapping & snapping poor thing!
    So i soaped up his greasey coat and part rinsed, while he was all distracted with that- did the toe nails and zipped off the tummy matting no problem!
    Phew!
    Mum stayed throughout the groom and was made up with it! & he was so relieved with getting rid of those tight matts he did a victory dance round the salon!

Big s up for the wet shave!

Wet Shave

Glad you took the plunge. It's so much easier to get through those nasty mats when they are wet. I've had to do it a few times & it really saves a lot of time and aggravation!

Melissa

Comment

I just got a so-called toy poodle in the other day. Looked more like a malte-poo to me. Anyway, she comes in and he's a wreck.

"Whenever I take him to Petsomethings, they shave him bald." (Well, gee, I wonder why. "Even though I bring him in every month--except this time." LOL...

So I did a wet shave with a...#4? I think? Maybe a #5. Then dried him and was able to do a #3 clipper vac all over to even him up. He had HAIR when he left. It was just as easy as doing a regular clip, didn't have to pre-clip, and I charged her extra!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Did another today on a 7 month old shi. His face was a gooey mess and he had that matting where his collar is rubbing him all day. Did a #5 finnished with a #3 3/4 & they put him on a 6week schedule and booked their husky.
        Took bout an hour 1/2 as opposed to the usual 2 1/2hr for a de-mat shave down.
        So glad i found this forum!
        all hail the wet groom!

Comment

I don't do wet shave often, but when i need to it is a big time saver
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

My favorite, most useful thing that I have learned from this board is the wet shave. Wish I had known about it 15 years ago.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

!? How do you do it?!

W/ shave down/flea season right around the corner, I'm trying to figure out how to wet shave and who would be a good candidate. I don't have cordless clippers-since my Laube's quit (again in 1.5 yrs!), I still have both my trusty corded Andis but should I buy a cordless pair? Do you shampoo the dog entirely, rinse, then clip in the tub? I need to make the jump. Small dog, big dog? Do dogs react differently being shaved in the tub while wet? Any info appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                My favorite, most useful thing that I have learned from this board is the wet shave. Wish I had known about it 15 years ago.
                I completely agree. I don't use it that often but I am so glad that I can use this method when I need to.
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

blhickson, from the wisdom of Helly on a "Wet Shave":

If you do a search on "wet shave", you'll find all the information you need, and then some. But to give you the basic idea, it's a process used for quickly ridding a dog of severe matting. And it's pretty much what it sounds like; put the dog in the tub, soap him up, put him on the table and shave off the mats. Then back to the tub for a good scrub, rinse, condition. Dry and finish as usual.

Some people do the wet shave while the dog is lathered with shampoo, some rinse then shave, some do it with conditioner on the dog. It all pretty much works out the same. I do it while the dog is lathered with shampoo, because I'm going to put the dog back in the tub and scrub him once he's been clipped.

The benefits? Your blades don't get hot. The mats come off more quickly. You can see where the skin is; less chance of nicking. There's less chance of clipper "burn". You can use a longer blade; if you'd normally use a 10, you can get a 7 under the mats...sometimes a 5 or even a 4. This allows you to give the dog a much more appealing finish. He'll still be short, he just won't be scalped. Clean up is easier and quicker. It's less stress on your body, and on the dog.

Drawbacks? Wet dogs smell. And wet dirty dogs smell worse. You won't be able to get the dog really clean until the mats are gone, so you have to deal with dirty, wet dog smell.

And to answer the question that pops into everyone's mind: No, wet shaving won't ruin your blades. You just have to dry and oil them afterwards. No, you won't be electricuted...but to be safest, plug into a GFI or use cordless clippers. And you do have to keep your clipper head pointed down, so no water can run down inside your clipper.

Another technique that doesn't get as much discussion is wet scissoring drop coats to do a long, layered cut. It works just like you see a human stylist doing on a human head. Section the coat, lift the first section straight up and scissor to the desired length. Lift the next section and scissor, then the next. Continue over the whole dog. Comb the hair up to check all sections have been cut the same length. Dry and finish the head, feet, and tail.

Comment

Yep...
                    That about sums it up - this is what i did...
                    Stuck him in hte tub and soaked him down... the shi was filthy and it took 3 shamoos to cut throught he grease and dirt and smell. The while he was wet i took him back to the table and lightly rubbed down with a towl to get rid of the drips.
                    Then i used my moser max45 corded clipper, not cordless. & shaved down roughly.
                    back in the tub, another shampoo and deep condition. i sat him in conditioner for about 10min cuz his skin was dry from all that matting. did nails, cleaned ears. Fluff dry. & finnish.

Comment

Originally posted by blhickson View Post
                      W/ shave down/flea season right around the corner, I'm trying to figure out how to wet shave and who would be a good candidate. I don't have cordless clippers-since my Laube's quit (again in 1.5 yrs!), I still have both my trusty corded Andis but should I buy a cordless pair? Do you shampoo the dog entirely, rinse, then clip in the tub? I need to make the jump. Small dog, big dog? Do dogs react differently being shaved in the tub while wet? Any info appreciated.
                      The most important thing, safety-wise, is to use the GFCI (or whatever it is called) outlet, JUST IN CASE.

Everybody does it differently, but I don't like them "dripping" as I shave them---even though I'm using the safe electrical outlet, water and electricity freak me out, so I dab them off with a towel first. But that's just me. It really does make a difference.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

love it!

poor little matese came in matted to the skin. A 10 was not goin threw.. then it dawned on me! soaped him up and shaved him with a 7k.

Comment

Since learning this technique I never try to do anything to the dog before the bath. I bathe them and then if they are matted I shave them.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                          X