Blade versus sscomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade versus sscomb

Hello and Happy Friday. I have discovered something and wondered if anyone else has. Just about every time a clip a ShihTzu with a snap on comb it leaves pretty bad track marks. I know I was following the hair growth and was a little frustrated. I tried using the equivalent blade instead on my last one and it looked much better. Much. Has anyone else experience this? It's so great to discover things on your own that work.!

Thanks for reading

I'm new so I always wondered about something similar. Say there are no mats in the coat, if you have a choice between a snap on or a blade of equal length..which do you choose? Does it matter?

Comment

I find that what is powering it makes a difference. A Wahl li pro runs at higher spm so less marks. Can also slow down. Assuming coat prep is correct, and you change your blade drive monthly and clean and oil blades and tighten adjust them. Also I prefer a #30 under my Wahl as combs. Unless it's a 7 all my work is combs and scissoring

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want "smooth" on a Shih Tzu coat, take a ss snap-on comb one to two lengths longer than the blade you want to use and use the comb *in reverse*.

Fast, and smooth as a baby's hinder.

Comment

The only time I tend to see track marks on anything is when using a #4 sc
          Rarely use a straight blade on a pet unless it needs to be shorter than a 7 blade (#5 sc ).
          Prep work is absolutely vital as is care and maintenance of clippers and blades

Comment

I must admit, I do 95% of my grooming with SS (with #30) using a Clipper Vac. I'm not getting any tracking marks. For heads, I use a SS without the Clipper Vac. The only time I use strictly a blade is on the heads of a schnauzer, SCWT, cocker and poodle feet & mussel.

Happy snapping on

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I've had track mark problems with the #5 snap on. Rarely with the others.

Comment

I use snap on combs only when I have to. I use 10 under them I do not like the 30 blade jams up with hair under the comb. I just love the full 5/8 the big blade not the toe blade and the 3/4 blade longest metal blade made by Andes. I increase or lighten my pressure on the blades to get the desired lengths I want then scissor to finish. I do use the snap combs in reverse on wire coats to get a smooth look.

Comment

It really depends on the hair. If I don't like my results with a comb I go to the blade and see what it does.

Comment

What Cockerlvr said. You get some Shih Tzus that have plush coats that pretty much look fine with either blade or guard. Then you have those Shihs with more coarse, straight hair that looks terrible guarded.

Every dog is different.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                      If you want "smooth" on a Shih Tzu coat, take a ss snap-on comb one to two lengths longer than the blade you want to use and use the comb *in reverse*.

I totally agree with Doubledogdare on this one. I think the difference is that the blade is holding the coat flat against the body when clipping while the combs are only holding coat down in lines yet is cutting at a similar height above the body. Using a couple lengths longer and going against the lay of the coat will help to lift the coat evenly so that the blade within can cut at an even length without leaving track lines.

Comment

Yep this works!

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                          I find that what is powering it makes a difference. A Wahl li pro runs at higher spm so less marks. Can also slow down. Assuming coat prep is correct, and you change your blade drive monthly and clean and oil blades and tighten adjust them. Also I prefer a #30 under my Wahl as combs. Unless it's a 7 all my work is combs and scissoring

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          Changing the blade drive monthly? Sounds intimidating. Im not mechanically inclined. How do you know how to adjust your blades too?

Comment

I agree

Comment

Working...
                            X