Ears, oh Ears.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ears, oh Ears.....

I always have trouble with getting my shih tsu/maltese etc, ears right. My technique is to pull the ear forward and cut off anything that passes the nose, then trim off the sticky outies. Does anyone have a better technique to make these look fantastic? I've got my faces and heads great, then I go after ears, and to me, it looks shoddy. My boss, ,and co workers say "they look good" but to me, no. I want that "wow" factor.....

Ears, oh Ears.....

Just lots of combing and re-trimming. I never pull the ears forward, I comb them straight down the way they hang, gather the hair between my first two fingers, and snip with curved shears. It takes a few runs to get that perfectly manicured look.

Comment

Ears, oh Ears.....

The three best tricks I can give you are:

1. Use thinning shears, not regular shears.

2. Don't pick up the ear to trim it, let it fall the way it would naturally.

3. When you think you are done, pull the grooming loop up like a show lead and "perk" the ears. Anything you missed and stickie outies will be highlighted easily and obviously.
      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Re: Ears, oh Ears.....

Originally posted by nygroomer2000 View Post
        I always have trouble with getting my shih tsu/maltese etc, ears right. My technique is to pull the ear forward and cut off anything that passes the nose, then trim off the sticky outies. Does anyone have a better technique to make these look fantastic? I've got my faces and heads great, then I go after ears, and to me, it looks shoddy. My boss, ,and co workers say "they look good" but to me, no. I want that "wow" factor.....
        I find maltese ears to be my least favorite . I don't recommend pulling the ear forward because that isn't the way the ear naturally lays, so the hair won't appear in place once you let the ear fall from you pulling it forward. Try leaving it where it naturally lays and trim, then use your thinners to blend and that sometimes helps make the ears not appear so choppy. I found this helpful in most cases. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I do it exactly like Plaidjaguar does, but then I fold the ear lengthwise and trim the longer hairs. It’s unbelievable, how many times the back hairs are longer than the front. I learned this trick from someone on this site…so thanks who ever your are !!

Happy ear folding

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Ears, oh Ears.....

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
            The three best tricks I can give you are:

1. Use thinning shears, not regular shears.

2. Don't pick up the ear to trim it, let it fall the way it would naturally.

3. When you think you are done, pull the grooming loop up like a show lead and "perk" the ears. Anything you missed and stickie outies will be highlighted easily and obviously.
            Exactly!!!

Comment

I also let the ears fall naturally. If you start pulling them and lifting them when they drop naturally or perk you're going to have uneven hairs. Depending on the coat I will sometimes use thinners

Comment

my trouble isnt with the shih tzu ears...i seem to have issues with say....doodle ears and poodle ears. its the rounding part to me that makes it hard to make them look nice.....normally if they arent looking the greatest and ive spent more than a couple minutes on them i stop and just leave it alone! spending MORE time on them makes them look WORSE not better ive learned LOL!!!!

my shih tzu type dog ears i usually just trim the bottoms and lightly round the corners and thats it. (although some dogs look better with a flat cut along the bottom of the ear with NO rounding so it just depends on the dog as well).

going to ask my boss if i can take some pics of clients dogs to use as well before i move to arizona. she did say im a wonderful groomer and im fast so.....id like to have some pics so you guys can critique them!

hound

Comment

Ears, oh Ears.....

Argh. Ears are my nemesis. I was recently told by my bather who has worked with me for three years "oh uneven ears? That's just your thing" Really? No one told me?!?! But I'm going to try that folding technique. I have also held them up above the dogs head like a hairstylist and scissored off the sticky outies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayzeemay View Post
                    But I'm going to try that folding technique.
                    The folding method works great for taking off the corners and getting a nice, even trim.

I am going to make a horrible confession here.....are you ready?.....I use my Bravura, set on #40, to do the first rough cuts on ears.

I hold the head level, run my fingers down the ear to where I want to trim, swipe off the hair with the clipper, comb, fold, knock off the corners with the clipper, comb, take thinning shears to the bottom to even off and blend, then do the other ear the same way.

After I'm done I run a comb through each ear and stand in front of the dog with a harmonica and blow a quick refrain, checking for anything I missed.

I trim the ends of tails with the Bravura as well. It does a nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayzeemay View Post
                      Argh. Ears are my nemesis. I was recently told by my bather who has worked with me for three years "oh uneven ears? That's just your thing" Really? No one told me?!?! But I'm going to try that folding technique. I have also held them up above the dogs head like a hairstylist and scissored off the sticky outies.
                      Kinda reminds me a new house call client I just got. She told me "don't worry about the dog's ears, they're uneven naturally, no matter what style my old groomer did, they were always uneven." After I groomed the dog, she commented on how the last groomer must just do all ears unevenly.

Interesting advice, DDD. I use the Bravura for certain ear edging, but didn't think about that with the tail or longer ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                        The folding method works great for taking off the corners and getting a nice, even trim.

I am going to make a horrible confession here.....are you ready?.....I use my Bravura, set on #40, to do the first rough cuts on ears.

I hold the head level, run my fingers down the ear to where I want to trim, swipe off the hair with the clipper, comb, fold, knock off the corners with the clipper, comb, take thinning shears to the bottom to even off and blend, then do the other ear the same way.

After I'm done I run a comb through each ear and stand in front of the dog with a harmonica and blow a quick refrain, checking for anything I missed.

Was taught while in grooming school how to use clippers to trim the ends off the tails to get started on the tails, and then decided one day to try it on overgrown ears (those things were almost dragging on the ground). Finally had balanced and evenly trimmed ears- in remarkable time!

Comment

Ears, oh Ears.....

I do that on Cocker ears and really thick Poodle ears. Much nicer finish that way.
                          I've never tried the folding trick though, I'm gonna give that a shot. I usually just point the dog's chin up and snip off the sticky outies that appear on the back part of the ear.

Comment

I took this trick from you and by god my life is so much easier now. Thanks

Comment

Oh and the harmonica works TOO

Comment

Working...
                              X