combs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combs

Im new at this and still in school. I didnt know where to put this question and may have it in the wrong forum. I have bought ss clipper combs. I know how to make them the same as clipper combs. Like a four is a seven blade. (think ) OK my question is when would it be better to use the combs then just a plain blades? What kind of coats would they work better on? or anything else you may want to give info on. I need all the help I can get. Thanks

I'm really sorry but I didn't understand anything you wrote! Please elaborate so we can help.

Comment

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling on this topic.

Myself, if the dog is getting taken down short (#5/#7/shorter), I use a blade.

If I want a longer, fluffier style, I used a snap on comb. What the combs do is raise the blade up high enough you can get the extra length of the cut with the approximate smoothness of the blade you attach the comb to.

The thing you have to keep in mind when you use a snap on comb is the coat you are using it on must be clean and completely brushed and combed out, tangle and mat free, or the comb will get hung up on the tangles and could pop off and/or leave a chop mark in the coat.

I think they work best on thicker or curlier coats, such as poodle/bichon type coats, heavier double coats like the coats on the nordic breeds or coats like you find on goldens and spaniels. They are tricker to use on really silky, flat coats (think Yorkies) unless you use a vacuum system with them, and that's a whole 'nuther subject right there.

Comment

for shorter cuts, I like blades more. For longer cuts I like the combs more. I personally don't care for the super short SS combs, I feel like the teeth are spaced too far apart or something and it doesn't come out smooth. When I am dematting an extremely matted dog, I like to use my blades, I feel like they "power" through the coat better. I think a 0 comb is like the 3/4ths blade, 1 comb is like 5/8ths blade, 2 comb is somewhere between a 4 or 5 blade. After that I switch to my blades only.

Comment

Sorry, but a 4 comb is closer to a 4 blade IMO and I will swap those out frequently and have never had an issue.

I will use a snap on comb when I either want to leave a longer length than a blade will allow or if I'm doing, say a terrier, and want a more natural look to it which I feel the comb gives. I'd much rather do an Airedale with a #5 snap on comb than a 5F blade. I think it looks better that way.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

sorry , more questions

Hey guys, thanks for the information. can you use a comb in reverse in some areas like on the back of the leg? I saw a dvd that took a comb backwards on the rear. What about using them on any shortcuts. Someone showed me how to do a poodle top knot with a comb att. Any more ideas?

Comment

one more

sorry, another question. I will have a shih tzu to do soon. They want a one inch length on the body. Would I comb up the fur andcut down three times like is suggested on other cuts. Im afraid that it will look choppy.

Comment

Working...
              X