Quickly set your Poodle cuffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickly set your Poodle cuffs

This may well have already been posted! If so,,sorry to repeat it!
    I use this technique to set my Poodle cuffs FAST! ~Wasn't my own technique, but was taught to me long ago and is still quite helpful to this day!
    I clipper in the clean foot, pull the brushed out hair on the wrist all down and hold it under my fingers as shown. Then I just scissor straight around the foot at the height which I wish to set the underside of my cuff- higher for a nice tight (young dog) foot, and lower for a flatter, wider or broken down (older dog) foot. It usually is about a finger's width above the highest middle clefts or webbing of the toes when viewed from the top, and a finger's width from the back of the paw pad on the underside. This dog was leaning on me and turning his foot in when I took the pic!
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

I do the same thing, but to get a nice straight 'line' around the cuff i actually hold my hand right at the line I want, and trim hard against my fingers, getting every lil bit poking out... here's the pics i did with my girl a while ago:

holding the foot
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1117549

half-trimmed hair to show what i mean about holding and trimming right up to my hand:

Name:	IMG_0924..jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1117548

trimmed foot, showing well how I cut right up against my hand (rather than trying to make a straight line across free-hand!):

Name:	IMG_0925..jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1117546

let go....:

Name:	IMG_0926..jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1117547

and tidied up a tiny bit to have a nice bevel:

Name:	IMG_0928..jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1117550

Comment

I learned that way also... the only thing I do different is to grasp the foot when the dog is standing. If I grasp the area and hair with the leg pulled up then the bevels are off abit. You may do the same ...not sure from pics.

Will agree it makes it so quick and easy

Trish

Comment

Oooh

I'm sooo gonna do that! I've never done it that way and it takes me 4ever to do them.....

Comment

Thanks for sharing you guys! I am such a stubborn fool. Every time you all post one of these threads...I do that for a while...then get lazy and go back to my old, time-consuming, frustrating ways....until someone posts again.

I have my hugest, hairiest, blk Std Poo coming in today, so this was well timed....prolly shave 2 hours off my time, lol!

I like that method, and everything about it makes sense...but I still struggle with getting the line on the BACK of the foot to correspond.
          Just not dexterous enough I guess?
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I do this too, but use a #40 instead of scissors, works great.

Comment

Duster--that's so much better than my pics! Especially on a WHITE dog!!! Thank you!
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I TRY to do that but I have a hard time getting all around the foot, mostly the backside.

Any suggestions on the angle to get to the back of the foot?
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                  I TRY to do that but I have a hard time getting all around the foot, mostly the backside.

Any suggestions on the angle to get to the back of the foot?

With a #40 just brush the hair straight down, clamp your hand around it with at back of foot - straight across where you want to cut. The cut in with the #40, keeping it straight. Same thing with the scissors, a little tougher to keep it flat (at least for me). Also there's nothing wrong with starting one way at front, and adjusting flipping hand around, and doing it on the back side if you can keep it straight.

Comment

Ditto, I either scissor or use a 40 blade right up against my hand because you get the nice bevel without even trying. I run my hand down the leg with the dog standing, shut my hand then slightly lift the leg being careful not to disturb the hair, using a blade is easier than using scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post
                      The cut in with the #40, keeping it straight.
                      I've never tried it with my clippers, I will try that next time. Thanks.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post
                        I do this too, but use a #40 instead of scissors, works great.
                        Exactly how I learned! Leaves a BEAUTIFUL sharp line.. I don't do it on Toys, though. I always get them with the clippers. -_-

Comment

Any input on using vacuum clipper system?
                          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                            I've never tried it with my clippers, I will try that next time. Thanks.
                            I actually have a good book the gives time saving tips on grooming some areas and using trimmers or a clipper with the 40 blade is one of the time saving tips.
                            I used it alot in the beginning but have gotten out of the habit and going back to the scissor method.
                            ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                            Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                            *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                              Any input on using vacuum clipper system?
                              Yes, I use the vac to do this too, it works very well. I also love the 40 blade with the vac to do the edges of the ears, I put the ears between my first and second fingers, run them down to the length I want the ears to be so the the edge of the hair I want to remove is on the palm side of them, then run the 40 blade along the length of my fingers. The natural curve of your fingers gives the ears a lovely perfect curved edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X