Layering ears vs. thinning ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layering ears vs. thinning ears

I use this technique on all of my dogs that have thick ear tassels. From Cockers, and Springers, to ShihTzus, to my own dogs, Cavaliers--this is a neat trick I have learned. Everyone pretty much knows to soften the ends of a trimmed drop ear to make it look more natural. But, sometimes, a very thick ear will still be so bulky and curl up and look unkempt or too thick at the sides of the face when viewed from the front, or be "bell" shaped.
    Instead of just cutting the ear to the length I want it and then blending the ends, I will also "layer" the end of the ear to get the end of the ear to curl under and that also makes the ear lay very neat and not as thick at the tip. What is done is that the layer of hair on the topside and the underside of the ear is actually a bit shorter and shagged than the ear hair in the center layer or middle of the tassel, so it actually us "U" shaped if viewed from the direct front.
    So--first I cut the ear to the length that I want with aggressive blenders or thinners--this is a 40 tooth I used here. Then I take those shears and flip the ear over and thinner the underside of the ear, pulling the hair down as I go to encourage it to feather and curl under. Then I flip the ear back over and do the same with the hair on the surface of the outer edge of the ear. After each side is done, I comb it thru, and that sets the hair to curl right under from the top and underside of the ear so that it is less bulky and very smooth. Then if need be, I can also fine tune it with a detailing shear as a finishing touch.
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Very nice!

I guess I should be more patient, lol. I use a #10 on that inner tan hair, and a #3 skip on the outer hair (or #4 skip if needed) VERY LIGHTLY, then tidy up.

Comment

I love these posts of yours. I am not an auditory person, so step by step with photos helps me a lot. Did you create the outline first with curved shears?
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

You really did a beautiful job on that ear...........thanks for the "grooming tip" !!

Happy Sharing your Tips !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Thank you for the tip....I have been wondering how in the heck to get my beveled ears to lay nicer! I really appreciate it!
          Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
          Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Awesome tip but windy please put that dog in a box and mail it to me PLEASE!!!!! That dog is sooooooo cute

Comment

Beautiful

Windy, what can I say but THANKS. Always such marvelous tips from you (one of the reasons I ALWAYS read your posts).

Comment

Even I understand!

you explain techniques so well! thanks

Comment

Love the arrows and drawing of the little thinning shears and thanks for the handy tip and that sure is one cute dog there.

Comment

Thanks Windy, I'll try it! and that little dog is sooo cute

Comment

Christein ....

is my cav Connie related to that beauty in the demo?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                        I love these posts of yours. I am not an auditory person, so step by step with photos helps me a lot. Did you create the outline first with curved shears?
                        Nope- just the thinners, but one certainly could!
                        I have a learning disability--I wasn't taught with any curved shears,,and I am STILL trying to teach myself to use them. If I THINK about it, I will grab them,,but I usually don't think about it, and I know I make more work for myself.
                        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BIG M View Post
                          is my cav Connie related to that beauty in the demo?
                          Ain't she cute? No--she's not related though!
                          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I PROMISE if I can get a new camcorder, or a USB cable for the older one that I have, I WILL be making short videos like crazy... It would be so much easier to share if one can watch up close instead of my trying to write it out!
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

very nice thank you!

Ever think of making your own grooming videos?
                              I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Working...
                              X