scissoring pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scissoring pads

My first teacher said to never scissor pads, but every experienced groomer I've seen does. So I did and I cut the top of the pad by accident. It bled so much. I cleaned it, put antibiotic ointment, gauze, and wrap. The dog was OK, but my client was hysterical. I'll NEVER scissor a pad again. What can you tell me about this dilema? I feel like I'm trying to balance technique vs safety. Experienced groomers scissor go freely and fast, but I'm afraid of making a mistake and sure enough I did.
    Help!
    thanks

if you aint comfortable doing it, then dont do it! when i DO scissor pads, boy do i do it so slowly and CAREFULLY. i sometimes get the hibeegibees (sp?) when i do so i just get my speed feed to get the hair.

Comment

It is dangerous

I've nicked a couple of pads. I have got it in my head to never use my super sharp scissors or big scissors. I scoop out with a #30 blade but still tidy up with a scissor. They are not real quick to heal and the dogs sometimes sort of kick out when the foot feels tickled.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Whenever scissoring the hair between pads, I use the back side of my curved shears (so the blade curves away from the pad).

Comment

I have always shaved with a 30 or 40 blade, I use an ivac and the suction and short blade cleans off everything fast, safe and well. I will occasionally irritate but never bad enough that the dog has issues, so that is my way to go.

Comment

Sorry this happened to you and the dog.
            I've never scissored pads and I probably never will. I do just fine with the 30 or 40 blade.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Slow and easy when sissoring the pads. Always do as much as possable with the clippers and until you are comfortable with the sissors take little bits. Even the most experanced groomers make the same Boo Boo you did, I saw it happen. Never say "Never Again." Just be watchful.

Comment

I will scissor the pads of dogs that go flippo about doing it w/ a blade. I do think that scissoring pads can be done safely, BUT it is also something that is and "advanced move" that I don't think should be tried by an inexperienced groomer.

I'm sorry that you cut the dog. Try not to beat yourself up too much about it. Cutting or nicking dogs happens to even the most experienced of us. Just take it as a learning experience and don't try to scissor pads again until you feel more confident.....if ever.

As far as the client freaking? You will find that there are clients that will freak if you quick a toenail and others that act like nothing at all happened if you do accidentially injure a dog. Try not to let it upset you too much.

A couple of things, did you call the client or wait to tell her when she came for the dog? Did the dog go to go to the vets or did your boss offer to pay for a vet visit? Sometimes the way a client reacts depends on how the situation was handled.
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

Someone nicked a pad when I was in grooming school. That thing bled like the dickens.
                  I only use my Speed Feed around pads and am very careful when I use a scissor around feet.
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Great advice

from everyone. Another thought, if you are neeind to scissor pads, then use a small detailing scissor. Curved for me. I use a AE 5.5 curved shear. Now these are no longer avalible, but there are other similar out there. Just think, tiny area, tiny shears.

I also use an Ivac, with a #30 on for pads, then just tidy edges with my detailing shears. You'll get the hang of it.
                    www.pamsbubblemobile.com

Comment

Usually I use a 40 only. But, I do have some dogs that are very sensitive with the clipper on their feet. In that case, I do use scissors. If you go slow and use a smaller shear, you should be fine. Until you get over the accident, I would just use clippers.

Comment

I scissor most pad hair flush with the pads. I rarely teim it out with a blade any more. Probly comes from raising sporting breed that has the pads trimmed not clipped....I also use my curves, reversed, so that the blade is away from the pads somewhat. I also have shears I will NEVER use on pads due to their sharpness. Beveled edge shears, not convex, and do it carefully.
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I use the curved shears with the curved part facing away. I never use clippers i am actually more uncomfortable with clippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                            I've never scissored pads and I probably never will. I do just fine with the 30 or 40 blade.
                            Me too...just a light handed 30 or 40.

I think if I were a relatively new groomer...I'd like the Speed Feeds until I had confidence, and I do still use them for itty-bitty pocket puppy's pads.
                            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              Ditto, here, too. (Is that redundant?)

Comment

Working...
                              X