Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does scissoring strengthen a poodles coat?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does scissoring strengthen a poodles coat?

I was told by somebody that if I kept scissoring my friends poodles coat it would strengthen her coat. I was told the more often I scissor the stroner the coat would get.
    Does anybody have the answer to why that is?

I heard the same thing...

Chris Pawlosky told my groomer that when he took his contest dog to her for a lesson. He has an open coat and not the best. She told him to trim it every week and it does help. Maybe its like when we go to the salon our hair seems to grow really fast for awhile afterwards, the more you trim the faster it grows. Don't have an answer for "why" though.

Comment

Taking off the ends strengthens the coat because it promotes it to grow. The less weight on the coat, the stronger the hair shaft becomes. Thus allows the coat to stand up straighter after bathing.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I've never heard that? Good Thread
          "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

One of the reasons I love being part of this board!
            Had no idea about this.
            ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
            Apparently common sense isn't all that common
            *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Yeah we were told at intergroom. My friends dog has such a soft coat, mainly because she is super apricot, but she is fab on the table so one of the ladies said to scissor her constantly and it would start to beef up her coat.

Comment

wow this is great.. now i know how to beef up raiders legs LOL he has a great coat on his body and kinda odd hair on his legs.. his body is nice and wiry.
                The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
                ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

Very interesting! I love learning things like this; so here is my question to add to this: do you think I could take the Wahl SS clip combs over my poodle to take off the ends? Would it do the same thing or does it have to be scissored? (I know this sounds lazy...)

Comment

Never fails, I'm always learning something new here.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

my 5 mo. old std poo pup has thicker harder coat on his butt than on the rest of him, I guess because I trim it every week. I just wish I could strengthen up the rest of him, but that's all gotta grow for show. Interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by green_poodle View Post
                        Very interesting! I love learning things like this; so here is my question to add to this: do you think I could take the Wahl SS clip combs over my poodle to take off the ends? Would it do the same thing or does it have to be scissored? (I know this sounds lazy...)
                        i'm wondering the same thing. i don't see why it would make a difference if shears or clippers were used but does anyone know if it does?

Comment

this is a very interesting thread. so people are saying that scissoring a poodle's coat once a week or so can help get the coat to stand up better. i should try that with my friends poodle so that maybe i can get the dogs coat into good enough condition to compete with. hmmmm...

Comment

I never had any clue! I'll have to remember this.

Comment

Vera Dysilva told me to do the same thing. She said to scissor it every week, to take it down short and then let it grow out. I asked her about the combs and she said scissor it instead. I should have asked why, but I didn't.
                              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X