Reverse on a schnauzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse on a schnauzer

Just saw this "reverse clipping" forum and it was empty. Has anyone else tried a #5 reverse on a schnauzer? It looks fabulous! Specially if they're a little old and lumpy!

What other breeds have you tried the reverse on? Infact ... what's the general rule for reverse ie: #5 reverse equates to a #10 ... I believe it's 2 sizes shorter in reverse than the blade being used right?

its

a 7 reverse is equal to a 10...will try the 5 next time I get a lumpy schnz!

Comment

I 7R labs that owners want shaved. I like how smooth it looks after.

Comment

I do reverse on dogs of all kinds. All of the shave downs or short clips I do on straight/wavy hair are in reverse.

Comment

I've reversed a few cuts over the years. Some do it alot and some do it rarely. I've never done it on a pattern dog. I don't think I could get a nice blend doing it reversed.

Comment

Depends on the dog.. Doesnt work so hot on soft coats.. Works well on labs, GSDs, many terriers.. some flat coated cockers. I hate doing 10s and will do a 7r to avoid cipper irritation.. love it on terrier and cocker heads! Heck if its a sch for example that gets a 10 on the back I will do a high sch back and then o back with my 7 to see where I want the pattern set (takes about a minute for me to set the pattern) and will go back over with a 10 to try and blend it down to where it should be..

Best part about doing a 4r or 7r on lab esp if they dont have a lot of undercoat is you can do it before the bath and not need to retouch those areas after(smoother cut) and of course the dog dries quicker. Those are quick grooms lol!

Comment

I use 7r on schnauzer shaves often. I find the dogs dont fight the 7 backward on the legs like they fight a 10 poking them.

I also use 5 or 7 backwards on JRTs and doxies. And pretty much anything wiry.

And yes, a 4 reverse is a 7, and 5 reverse is roughly an 8-1/2 or 9, and a 7 reverse is a 10.

Comment

reverse

I have only done revers for my schnauzer, my own pet schnauzer (actually my daughter stole him from me). I love the way he looks! everywhere she goes people ask who cut your dog? that is the best cut I have ever seen. She replies, my mom and only cuts family dogs, sorry.

Comment

i use it anytime i cant get a smooth cut or i want it a tad shorter but not actually go down a whole blade length. sometimes depending on the hair type i actually go up 3 lengths. like if im doing a 5 and one part just isnt blending i go up to a #1 rev to blend it. takes the rest alot shorter otherwise then i have to go over the whole body again and its as short as a #7fwd somehow. i use a 5 rev for the #10 too my rev #7 is hsorter than my #15fwd...

Comment

I use a 5f reverse a lot, especially in the winter months. Schn. with wirey, thin hair I think look better with 5f reverse, than a 7f reverse. Actually, I did one today. I do all my schn. reverse. I think it looks better, and isn't as hard on the skin as a 10 down is, and smooth. I will blend with the 10 though, with a 7f reverse.

Most of my summer strips are done in reverse. I might shave as normal, but finish in reverse to smooth it all out.

Comment

I do it alot on all kinds of things. Mostly any long legged terrier that I'm clipping. I find I can set their eyebrows and beard better this way. If I'm going to do it on any kind of pattern dog I only do it on the back shoulders and neck and use the original desired blade length to blend the sides properly. Otherwise I end up with a hard line which I cannot make straight and correct. I know other people can I just never figured that part out.

Comment

I heart my Reverse clip clients! it always turns out so smooth and the best part you just CANT make a mistake when you are going reverse!

Comment

Originally posted by g.groomer View Post
                          Just saw this "reverse clipping" forum and it was empty. Has anyone else tried a #5 reverse on a schnauzer? It looks fabulous! Specially if they're a little old and lumpy!

What other breeds have you tried the reverse on? Infact ... what's the general rule for reverse ie: #5 reverse equates to a #10 ... I believe it's 2 sizes shorter in reverse than the blade being used right?
                          Yep! I get a much smoother finish on giant schnauzers when I use the 5 or 7 blades in reverse. So much faster too. The ten blades with the grain never come out as nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X