Comfy head hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfy head hold

I use this hold for those dogs and puppies that twist their head from side to side while scissoring or clippering around their face. It keeps the head down by looping your fingers through the groom loop and holding it down. It puts no pressure on the neck and windpipe. It also helps those who cough or have collapsing trachea when they put any pressure on their necks while struggling. Instead it secures their head from beneath and on either side, and actually encourages the dog to put the weight of their head comfortably in your hand. I find that most dogs actually push their head down into my hand and never even try to twist from side to side.
    I loop my 3 middle fingers around the loop and hold it down tight- that requires that your lop be at the correct height for the dog with no slack in it! I use my hand to cradle the head under the chin as shown in the photo, and my and pinky sit tightly on either cheek bone to make the head secure and to give the dog a "cup" to rest its head in. This really works!
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Now this is cool!!

Comment

That's a great tip! I'm definately gonna try it, but with my left hand. My right hand is the only one that knows how to pick up shears and clippers..

Comment

Cool. I am still trying to find the one of how you are scissoring a shih-tzu chin and have searched many posts and cant find it.

Comment

I've never seen or heard this one before thanks ;-)
          "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

That's good!

I'll have to remember that!

Comment

Thanks from a newbie (well pretty new anyway!)

Comment

Thanks for sharing. It's looks like a neat trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                  Cool. I am still trying to find the one of how you are scissoring a shih-tzu chin and have searched many posts and cant find it.
                  Is that the one where I part the hair across the bridge of the nose, squeeze the hair down the cheeks, and pinch it together under the chin, cutting off straight all of the hair that criss-crosses under the chin? I posted a photo of that a few days back- let me see if it'll post again...
                  Attached Files
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Apparently I can't read without "practicing". My dad just asked me if I was making gang signs.

I think this really will work. I am going to try it tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So is there any way to subscribe to your posts. I don't want to miss any of your suggestions.
                    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

LMBO @ Keyray's Dad!
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I've been grooming

forever and here you are teaching me new tricks. An old dog can learn new tricks for sure. Thanks.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I tried it out today and it worked great! Thanks Windyway!

Comment

I love the tips you've been posting Windy! Just wanted to say I do this and never realized that no one else really does! It works great!

Comment

You rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X