Hold for scissoring the front legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold for scissoring the front legs

How many have those dogs who "need a V8" as soon as you start combing and scissoring their front legs? They pull in their elbows, lean over near enough to fall on you, and hop around on one front leg to avoid at all costs having that leg touched.
    I use this safe and effective hold at these times, and I thought that newer groomers might benefit from having it in their arsenal. You can see this dog leaning and pulling in the first picture. In the second photos, I have done 3 things:
    1. Looped a couple of fingers (towards me) into my grooming loop under their chin to hold the loop down and taught.
    2. Taken a couple of fingers and lifted up and am holding their opposite leg under the stopper pad loosely (not squeezing and not holding just the paw)
    3. Loosely holding a bit of their cheek (not chin) hair or (some dogs will pull MORE if you hold their face), taken my pinky finger on that same hand and push gently across the withers of the dog to keep it from popping up or hopping ( I prefer this method)Click image for larger version

Name:	resized V8 dog..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1134102Click image for larger version

Name:	resized hold #1..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1134103.

If you have a Groomer's Helper, all you'd need to do is to gather up the opposite leg and hold the head forward so the dog is standing square for scissoring, but with the single loop, we need to keep the center of balance off on the dog enough to get them to place their weight on the planted foot and not get the momentum to be able to hop up.
    This hold is gentle and effective, hope it'll work for someone!
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Takes a bit of coordination, haha

I have done these things, they are tricky but much less messy than nailing their feet to the table.

Comment

Thats pretty much what I do too, works good. Made me think that when I was first starting out finding proper least invasive controls was at the top of the list. Now I just do it automaticly. What a good topic for newbies. I learned that if you hold a lhasas beard at the side, more the cheek area than the chin you have less pulling. Something about the chin hair hold they just hate.

Comment

I don't know HOW I inserted pics like I did on that post,,hmmmm-interesting! Sorry!
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Rocking tip, thanks.
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

[QUOTE=Debbiedogs;402544 much less messy than nailing their feet to the table.[/QUOTE]

Lmao,, you made my day!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
              nailing their feet to the table.
              On some dogs I'd much rather nail their feet to the table!!! JK (I think)
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

yeah like the ones that just like to keep popping up into the air so you cannot do their face or front legs! like a freaking jumping bean lol! sat i had one of those....a doodle! ugh! lol.
                and i just held onto that leg.....boy was i wiped out after that one!
                Hound

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                  I don't know HOW I inserted pics like I did on that post,,hmmmm-interesting! Sorry!
                  when doing the attachment thing, you clicked on "insert inline" instead of "insert attachment" at the bottom of the attachment window thingy... I do it that way all the time, cos then I can put captions etc around them!!! I have to preview my post to check which order the pics are in etc (it'll insert a code that makes it pretty much impossible to tell which is which photo without previewing), but it makes it a lot easier to do...

Comment

Working...
                  X