My experiment using Gabapentin to calm dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experiment using Gabapentin to calm dog

I gave Mango 100 mg of Gaba. If you are curious about how it affects dogs, here is Mango a few hours after 100 mg pill.

Trazadone 25 mg on a small dog (Pebbles) works wonders on her as she is terribly frightened to the point of peeing herself during thunderstorms. I was skeptical and wanted the vet to give her a benzodiazepine but he insisted we try this first AFTER the “holistic” nonsense first. She sat and happily watched the storms pass right by the balcony sliding glass door yesterday!
    Last edited by Kurt99; 07-20-21, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt99 View Post
      Trazadone 25 mg on a small dog (Pebbles) works wonders on her as she is terribly frightened to the point of peeing herself during thunderstorms. I was skeptical and wanted the vet to give her a benzodiazepine but he insisted we try this first AFTER the “holistic” nonsense first. She sat and happily watched the storms pass right by the balcony sliding glass door yesterday!
      I tried Trazadone for Mango. He became more agitated, while also becoming disoriented. Thus is what is tricky about using meds to calm. Different animals react so differently. I am glad it worked for Pebbles!

Comment

My vet uses a combo of the two drugs when needed.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Love that face on her.

Comment

I will say this though about the trazadone. Chet who rescued Pebbles, has noticed it hit her appetite. And she has a hangover effect from it. Swaying in the rear legs up to 24 hours after administration, but she still is engaged in life wanting her walks etc. Still eats, just a little less. I disagree with the prescribing also, he made it 25 mg twice a day! Uh heck no. Per diem it should be, which is what Chet’s done. Load her up one hour before the storms arrive.

Comment

Comment

Sounds right, so this is mostly for the storms.

Comment

Working...
                X