Teach me to teach my dog nail trims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me to teach my dog nail trims

For people who have successfully trained dogs to allow their nails to be trimmed, please suggest a training routine for me to follow. My dog is 13 yrs old, blind and can be grumpy, but is not mean. He gets so excited when I trim his nails. Chihuahua terrier mix.
    I am patient. I know it can take a long time.
    Thank youπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

I don't cut my dog's nails because he chews them out on his own. And in general, I do not see a particular need for it, they do not interfere. Stray dogs somehow walk with such long claws and they even need them pethousely.com/insulated-outdoor-cat-house-top-7-selection-of-2022/. I've started to do dogs that run around my house and decided to build them a house with pallets. I can not let them sleep at home, so at least they will be comfortable to sleep outside, especially in cold weather.
    Last edited by Maxxx17; 05-16-22, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I don't really have a training suggestion at this age and being blind. I would get him used to you touching his paws and nails, even using an emergy board and lightly sand them. That will help move the blood vessel back probably without his reacting like to a clipper.
      Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxx17 View Post
        I don't cut my dog's nails because he chews them out on his own. And in general, I do not see a particular need for it, they do not interfere. Stray dogs somehow walk with such long claws and they even need them. I've started to do dogs that run around my house and decided to build them a house with pallets. I can not let them sleep at home, so at least they will be comfortable to sleep outside, especially in cold weather.
        Old dogs who live in the city don't walk enough to wear down their nails. Your opinions are quite unusual. Assume you are here to learn about grooming?

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post

Old dogs who live in the city don't walk enough to wear down their nails. Your opinions are quite unusual. Assume you are here to learn about grooming?
          Did you go ahead and do that with pallets?

Comment

I can dremel my dog's nails now. I do one a day, every so often. He doesn't like it, but I can now manage to get it done. Yay!

Comment

Good dremel was my thought. few at a time.

Comment

Patience and perseverance rewarded! Lucky pup.

Comment

Working...
                X