How do you respond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you respond?

When a client comes in and they say they want a Yorkie Cut or a Shih-tzu cut or a Poodle cut, what do you say?

I try to tell them that, for instance, a Shih-tzu cut is just triming the face, feet, sanitary and neatening the skirt, and did they want any length off the body...they look at me like I'm crazy! Like how don't *I* know what it is? In the end it is typically a puppy cut, but I just can't seem to say the right thing to transition from "Breed name here" cut to what length without feeling like they feel deflated from having the name wrong.

Maybe some verbage help here? I've been hearing it a lot lately. Heck...the "yorkie cut" lady didn't even want her ears tipped, LOL. "So you want me to shave the tip of the ears <interrupt> No! Why would you do that?" Oh boy!

Jessie

i don't think it's you..i think it's just crazy people!
    We had someone say "doodle cut" they just thought i was crazy that i didn't know what a doodle cut was..i asked "like a poodle" their response was NO NO NO nothing like a poodle...
    I just don't get people..(it ended up just being a 3 strip and they still were not happy with the length, but would not tell me shorter or longer ect..)

Comment

rather than going into detail about what a shih cut really is, just ask how long they want it left. if they question you, tell them that unfortunately these terms mean different things to each groomer. if they don't know how long, i say do you like it pretty short like 1/2 inch all over that usually gets them talking, or they agree to the 1/2 inch. i think many people really are not aware that they have options, they think that all groomers do the same thing. or maybe they were never asked what they wanted, so have not given it much thought.

Comment

I'll start with, one length all over? round face? Trim ears or tail? about half off the current length? still want her to look a little fluffy? What it is you do, always end the conversation sounding very confident that you know exactly what you're going to do, that helps people have some faith that we can read their minds. When in doubt, ask more questions, try as hard as possible to squeeze information out of them.

Comment

We get that all the time where I'm at, corp in south dakota. People will come in with a cut name puppy, shih shu cut (their pron. not mine) or whatever and I ask what length. "I don't know my old groomer just knew what to do" I try all the standard responses and still people look at me like I don't know what I'm doing drives me nuts lol.

Comment

Shih Tzu cut: One length all over (they or the mats pick the length) with a teddy bear head. Trim ears and tail?

Yorkie cut: Ditto to above. More of a Westie head. Ears: tipped, edged, wedged, or long?

Poodle cut: Same length all over or longer on legs (lamb cut)? Clean face with topknot or teddy bear head? Clean feet? Pom on tail?

I think that most people just want a cute and clean dog and they really don't care about the specifics. The clients that do care will spell out every single detail for you then they will get mad that you didn't do it EXACTLY and they will go torture another groomer.
            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I guess I'm "lucky" I usually only get the "puppy cut" variation. But what I have found to work for me is to give them a general description like kayray Ok so you want one lenght all over but the lenght varies from really short/shaved (#7) to several inches long so I just need to know what lengh you are looking for. This seems to help me as then they seem to only have one decision to make l lenght and makes me seem to know what I am doing. "I" know the "style" so just tell me what length you want the "style" in. LOL Otherwise I just tell them that named cuts can vary so I "know" the cut but just want to confirm that we are talking about the same one as I want the to be happy.

I will admit to being an evil groomer one day with a client like this. All huffy and looking at me like I'm stupid for not knowing how to give her dog a "puppy cut". I wish I could remember what kind of dog it was like a shihtzu mix or somthing. SOO I look at the owners and go so you want me to shave her face/feet and leave a pom on her tail :-). (described a poodle puppy cut). OH NO that not what we want the conversation went better after that but I felt like an evil groomer because I knew that was not what they were thinking about.

Comment

The best is when they ask for a puppy clip for their shih tzu or poodle... and then I reply with "How long do you want the body left at... 1/2"..1/4"......" they immediately snap back with "WELL I dont want him SHAVED or bald!".

To me, everything with I do with my clippers is a shave! Maybe people think Im going to whip out my schick razor I use on my legs? Sheesh Customers HATE that word!

Comment

malti-poo!!!!!

but at least it's a cut that belongs on the dog . . .
                  i did a maltese last weekend that I do regularly, in all sorts of cuts (had a mohawk a while back!). This time they wanted "shaved all over and face feet and tail left full" - i'm thinking chinese crested. says he saw the haircut on a dog on animal planet. Further questioning revealed that he'd seen a poodle (!) . . . i did clean face, modified top know, pom tail and modified pom pom feet (i did explain that the baby's hair was nappy enough to get that poodle look!!)!!
                  When they picked up the dog, the woman started SCREAMING . . .
                  i"m thinking "uh oh!!" . . .
                  then she screams "Oh my God - he looks just like a SHOW DOG!!!!!!!"

sheesh . . . if you want a poodle, don't buy a maltese!! lol

Comment

At my very first seminar....waaaaay back in the 80's, they had Nigel Aubrey Jones speak at the dinner. He showed Pekingese and was the founder of St. Aubrey Groom Products. He had the most delightful British accent.

so he says...."You want to make ALL your customers happy? You want to know what they REALLY want?"

he had 500 or so groomers all waiting expectantly for the answer...you could hear a pin drop.

"Well, what they want, and this will make them happy every time....IS A CUTE FACE AND A CLEAN ASS"

gotta love 'em !

namaste...dogma

Comment

Originally posted by brownlikewoah View Post
                      I'll start with, one length all over? round face? Trim ears or tail? about half off the current length? still want her to look a little fluffy? What it is you do, always end the conversation sounding very confident that you know exactly what you're going to do, that helps people have some faith that we can read their minds. When in doubt, ask more questions, try as hard as possible to squeeze information out of them.
                      very good advice

Comment

Not to sound picky

But a shih tzu cut TECHNICALLY is don't cut the dog at all, other than a very small ring around the tail, and trim the pads... So when you say trim face, and skirt, and sanitary... you aren't REALLY offering a shih tzu trim at all. hehe (sorry... just razzin ya)

When people say "I want a shih tzu cut" I say "which one?" then they look confused and I say "how long do you want the hair on the body, legs, face, ears, tail?" and any other questions I may have in determining their perfect "look"

Doesn't matter what breed they say... I always say "which one?"

Comment

I tell them, a shihtzu, yorkie or poodle cut means something diff to every person out there. I need to k ow more. If they dont get it I smile and say, can I just make her cute??
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                            so he says...."You want to make ALL your customers happy? You want to know what they REALLY want?"
                            ", what they want, and this will make them happy every time....IS A CUTE FACE AND A CLEAN ASS" gotta love 'em !
                            namaste...dogma

AND he is so right! I mean, SERIOUSLY there is some truth to that statement. Otherwise many more of the people who cannot groom at all would be closed down fast. You do have people who are super ultra picky, but the vast majority of the client bases wants clean dogs and a cute face. It is one reason I stress cute faces to my trainees. OH and short nails with tight feet would be the only other thing I can think to add to that list.....

they will forgive too short or too long in most cases but send them home with hair in their eyes or smelling dirty and you are toast!
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

ha, ha. I always joke when customers ask for a shih tzu or yokie cut! "So you just want a bath & brush then?"

when they ask for a puppy cut I usually ask "newborn, 3 month, or 6 month old puppy?" ( we have a couple that go for the newborn look, BTW) Then i find out if they want 1/2 off, more or less than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X