Shaving time off clean feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving time off clean feet!

Many groomers doing seminars have covered this great technique for clippering Poodle clean feet in as short a time as possible. So I thought I would list it AGAIN for a newbie groomers' refresher. We are all looking to "shave off" a few minutes here & there- especially if we are cleaning off the feet of a dog that hates having their feet touched! So--here's what I do for all of my Poodle clean feet- regardless of the breed that I am doing it on.
    1. Clean off the bottom of the paw very clean, especially the cleft at the center of the foot. Scooping down toward the toes will do this faster, but be more careful to not abrade the webbing of the toes as you scoop down--use light pressure! I used a#40 on the pad here.
    2. Clean off the hair of the foot with the desired length blade with the growth of the coat (down the foot) to remove the bulk (this can help avoid abrading hidden warts or bumps and removes the bulk of hair with the grain so as to not irritate as much as possible. This dog is getting a #40.
    3. Choose a side of the foot to work on- from left to right or right to left. Hold the foot flat and splayed in your fingers- toes spread lightly, and rocked slightly onto the opposite side of the paw you will be clippering first, to get the toes open and the sides to be clippered visible and clear. Squeeze out the nail on each to as you go from toe to toe clippering the same side of each toe as you go.
    4. Rock the paw to the other side, spread the toes and move back clippering the opposite side of each toe and the top of the toe as you work back in the other direction. Remember to gently squeeze each nail out from the cuticle (just as a cat's nails extend and retract from their nail bed) to quickly get those tight little hairs along the sides of the nail. Also,,HVing this clean hair nice and straight will get it to stand up from the nail well, too.
    That's it! By clipping the toes in order all on the same side and then just switching or rolling the foot to do teh other side, you cut off a lot of time from rolling each individual toe back & forth. Works great!
    *I have found that holding the foot near the stopper pad and not the foot pad gives not only a more solid and secure hold, but makes the dog less likely to pull or jerk for having his foot secured. Also, I should mention that I NEVER hold the toes or finer bones of the foot of a dog as this could easily result in a dislocated toe if the dog jerks away unexpectedly. Instead I always hold with a finger nestled under the stopper (wrist) pad, and under the paw pad- remember that your long fingernails will feel differently on a dog's foot than your fingertips.*
    Also-- I see that my photos are not uploaded in order..how come they keep attaching out of order?
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Thanks for the tips Christian
    Hey everyone Chris is up for the Cardinal Awards
    Don't forget to vote for her she is such a great gal and so much help to
    all of us.
    Meme

Comment

I wish I could go to the Windyway School of Dog Grooming. She does the best round TB faces and feet.

Yes, everybody vote for Chris!
      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Ohgorsh, nyuck! *Goofy laugh and blushing* Thank you gals!
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
          Remember to gently squeeze each nail out from the cuticle (just as a cat's nails extend and retract from their nail bed) to quickly get those tight little hairs along the sides of the nail.
          I had to call Pippin and try this out on him. It really does work. I've never tired to extend a dog's nail.
          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I love your how-to threads.

I've been referring to them lots lately--they're super helpful, so thanks

Comment

I recalled this thread yesterday. I did the feet on a 3# poo in less than 5 minutes. It used to take forever. Thank you.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by smart-n-pretty View Post
                i recalled this thread yesterday. I did the feet on a 3# poo in less than 5 minutes. It used to take forever. Thank you.
                awesome!!!!
                www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                  I recalled this thread yesterday.
                  That is so funny. Yesterday was my day off, but I went in to groom my own dogs. I used the hint Windy posted in another thread on Pippin's bevel. It worked GREAT!

Thanks Windy, I hope you keep up the hints. Us beginners really love it when you pros share.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Been grooming for 23 yrs and never heard of tugging on the toenails to help get those pesky little hairs. Hope I have a Poodle on the schedule today to try toe tugging with.....lol.... Thanks for the How Too's that you always post. Very helpful even to an old groomer!
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

I used this and the bevel tips for the spoo I did yesterday - cleanest poodle feet I've ever done! Thanks Chris!

Comment

Okay I always have the problem with cutting the line too high for the feet poms. So can you explain how to set them. Also were is the bevel thread I checked old post but cant find it. Thanks

Comment

cuffs and bevels

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...r-Poodle-cuffs

Here you go.

Comment

Thanks Gracie's Mum!
                            tmenne- I set bevels on small Poodles with good feet usually a finger's width above the highest cleft between the toes-usually the middle 2 clefts are of equal depth, so I go a finger's width above them- you can see it in the photos on the other thread. Lower if they are splay footed. The key is to keep the cuff or bevel low and not pull up the curve too tight or it makes your legs look too high--like they're waiting for a flood!
                            Also--for getting the clean feet free of hair around the nails--be sure to "lightly squeeze" the toe at the second joint and this will make the nail extend out - do this with the full paw in your hand so the dog cannot injure its toe if is suddenly pulls.
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                            X