Boykin Spaniel Grooming Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boykin Spaniel Grooming Help!

Okay, I have a Boykin Spaniel scheduled on Friday. All the girls in the shop said, what the heck is that? I couldn't believe they didn't know what it was, so I went to the Breed Encyclopedia to show them and couldn't find it, went to the AKC breed book, couldn't find them. Went to my grooming books and couldn't find them! No wonder they didn't know. Anyways I have seen them on t.v., online etc. but never in my salon. I want to get this one right (I love grooming new breeds). So, I would love all the help I can get ANY ADVICE everyone? Pics would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Happy Grooming!

Viewing some show pics it looks like a very naturally kept dog, just like a lot of the spaniels... The owner, however may prefer the clipped version so it looks like the blend would be similar to a springer clip, exposing shoulder and rear muscles... Head shows no clipping of the ears at all, and smooth muzzle. (not sure how the hair grows in on the face between grooms).

They have more of a wispy type of furnishing, rather than a full coated setter type. You may find you only need to even the feet, smooth and train the back fur to lay flat and blend into the sides and hit up some strays with some thinners and be good to go!

See if you get in contact with a breeder and get info... I'd love to see some pics... such a rare pup!

Jessie

Comment

Nope the Boykin is not AKC but you can google up pictures and go to the Boykin club sites for grooming and more pix.Honestly my experience has been that they are kept in a more natural state but I simply ask the owners what they want. Sometimes they just want them clipped short so that's a no brainer and sometimes they just want the natural look. They do matt though. I have one that I do that is always matted. They do have wispy furnishings and they can get really matted and behind the ears and the ears themselves. The most notable thing I can tell you about the Boykin is that they tend to be high energy. Lets just say that my poor DH is no match for this leaping jumping bag of energy. Yes, the Boykin Spaniel is the state dog of S.C. Don't know how that happened.
      ~*~Robin~*~
      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

We have a boykin that comes in. They just get a springer pattern.

Comment

The breed was just recognized by AKC at the end of 2009, so they wouldn't be in the AKC book yet. And like the other posters here have said, groom them similar to a springer.

Comment

I groom a Boykin, and compete with her as well. I used to do a #7 Springer pattern on her but now I do her all carded, plucked and thinning shears. You do clip the face and head and top 1/3 of the ears. I usually use a 10 on face and ears, 7 on top of the head. Here are a few pics. One in my van is clippered, others are competition photos.
            Attached Files
            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I have a Boykin!

He is the dog on my picture (with the name Geddy). That is his name. He is wonderful, sweet, loves EVERYONE ,people and dogs. He has a funny personality. Keeps us laughing. I usually give him a short cut with a #2 or #3 stainless steel comb using the IVAC. I never cut the top of his head or his ears, only trim the ears occasionally. Their muzzle and face doesn't grow like a cockers. You'll never have to bother with it. I leave his ears curly and his tail (nub) with a little bit of curls. I give him catpaws on the feet. Pretty much its all up to the owner.

Comment

YES, Boykin IS in AKC sporting group since 2009! http://www.akc.org/breeds/boykin_spaniel/
                Grooming is basic sporting breed grooming. Card back well, neaten up feathering. Some people neaten the top 1/4 -1/3 of the ear and shave throats, some leave them alone. Some Boykins have as much coat as fiels coated cockers and some are very lightly feathered, so you need to play it by ear, and follow owners directions. Most boykins have a "curly cue" on top of their head and a lot of pet owners are very attached to their dog's top knots! If you dog has one make sure to ask owner what they want done with it.
                The last tip, the dog may look like there is not much work needed but they are usually make up lack of need for grooming with their behavior. Here I charge 15-20 over my cocker price and close to my chow fee, because they are so nutty.

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
                  I groom a Boykin, and compete with her as well. I used to do a #7 Springer pattern on her but now I do her all carded, plucked and thinning shears. You do clip the face and head and top 1/3 of the ears. I usually use a 10 on face and ears, 7 on top of the head. Here are a few pics. One in my van is clippered, others are competition photos.
                  That is a beautiful job Nicole! What pretty eyes!
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I do a Boykin and my client prefers him to be a bit natural and the big thing for them is to NOT take the curly top off the top of the head. So I just take a O comb over him and I do make sure not to take the top of the head off.
                    Good luck!

Amante

Comment

This is why I love my job so!

Okay, I took everyone's advice, did my research on the breed and printed lots of pictures to show the owners just in case they asked. Crossed my fingers this wasn't a make believe Boykin Spaniel and waited til the clock hit 12:30 today. In comes Stella, a beautiful 4 year old Boykin Spaniel with two sweet parents who just love her to pieces. All they wanted was her body trimmed tight with the top knot untouched. They were quite surprised about my knowledge of the breed and were so happy to know that the Boykin Spaniel is in AKC now. After reading about the breeds hyper personality I was ready for the task at hand. Much to my surprise she was the best dog of the day, absolutely PERFECT! I finished with a 0 Laube comb on her body and tail, a #10 on her face, used my stripping knife to blend the front of her legs with her feathering and scissored her legs and belly, and I did not touch her topknot. Her parents were so happy, L-O-V-E-D the cut and said they would be back again. This is why I love my job so! Thanks everyone for your help, I'll post pictures to show the before and after!

Happy Grooming

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylove View Post
                        Viewing some show pics it looks like a very naturally kept dog, just like a lot of the spaniels... The owner, however may prefer the clipped version so it looks like the blend would be similar to a springer clip, exposing shoulder and rear muscles... Head shows no clipping of the ears at all, and smooth muzzle. (not sure how the hair grows in on the face between grooms).

They have more of a wispy type of furnishing, rather than a full coated setter type. You may find you only need to even the feet, smooth and train the back fur to lay flat and blend into the sides and hit up some strays with some thinners and be good to go!

See if you get in contact with a breeder and get info... I'd love to see some pics... such a rare pup!

Jessie

I did a Boykin in our shop the other day - you can go online to youtube or hulu and look up animal planet's Breed All About It informational session about them. Pretty cool.
                        They are BEAUTIFUL. With soulful eyes and a soft muzzle. They look somewhat like a sussex spaniel but taller imo, but just gorgeous dogs.
                        If you prick us, do we not bleed? -w.m. Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by kputman View Post
                          The breed was just recognized by AKC at the end of 2009, so they wouldn't be in the AKC book yet. And like the other posters here have said, groom them similar to a springer.
                          Good to know, I am quoting and replying mostly so I can find this helpful info by going to my profile again. Otherwise I would forget where things are posted. Thanks!
                          The Boykin I did was a #7 Shavedown if I am remembering correctly and it was such a beautiful dog, I thought to myself, are they sure....? But she eneded up looking nice and shiny when we sent her out the door and Mommy was happy to see her little girl. We left her head pretty much untouched if I am remembering right. Golly she was sweet. I want a Boykin so badly!

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post

BEAUTIFUL - I'm putting this in my reference pictures in my brain for Boykin clips. Nicely done. !!!! I'm impressed, MUCHO. -~~~ AmC

Comment

Working...
                            X