Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "standard" poodle cut mean?

Hello everyone,
    I am a new groomer and have dealt with several poodle owners who say that they want the poodle cut. They all wanted slightly different things. What does the standard poodle cut mean to you? I am not afraid to ask for specifics, but would also like your professional opinions!

Thank you all very much!

I would actually pull out one of your grooming books and show them all the "poodle" clips. I would imagine it would be different in different areas. Maybe a Lamb Cut or maybe the Sporting Clip. Most poodles around here get shaved down with #7 blade.

There is just too many different clips to know exactly what that particular owner wants. So maybe first clarify they want clean face/clean feet. Top knot and pom on the tail? Then find out if they want the body all one length or if they want more length left on the legs. The only way to tell is to ask "probing questions".
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Same as "puppy cut" ROFLMAO

The description "standard Poodle cut" has about as much definition as "puppy cut" - in other words, it's whatever the person THINKS it is, so you need details on what they have in mind!!

For most owners I have met, they want a shave-off with a Poodle face (clean) and topknot, and longish ears and a "ball" tail. Just like tons of people around here say "puppy cut" and have been taught that it's a shave-off. (screeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaamm.....lol).

So don't feel bad - new or not, there is NOT a defined version of a "standard Poodle cut".

Comment

Most of my customers that say standard poodle cut, want the poodle face, poodle feet, poodle tail, and the body one length. I learned it was a kennel cut, but I would just aske the customer exactly what they want and adjust accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by sheltielove View Post
          Hello everyone,
          What does the standard poodle cut mean to you?
          To me, it means bust out the poodle book and go from there. I've had so many different (owner) terms tacked on poodle cuts it makes my eyeballs cross.

Comment

Look at the dog and see what clip it's in and ask how long it's been since last grooming (paying particular attention to the length of the face/feet). I'd imagine that that's a term that one of the grooming shops around you uses to describe a short all over with clean face/feet and pom tail and top knot. I like to ask if they want about half off the body...that gives them a starting point to describe what they'd like.

Comment

Books, posters and pictures are your friends. Like everybody else here has said, there are as many ways to groom a poodle as there are poodles (that's why we love them!) Practice on your topknot scissor work. That's the part that really catches the parents eyes first. Good luck and many happy years of grooming to you.

Comment

Originally posted by celebpet View Post
                Most of my customers that say standard poodle cut, want the poodle face, poodle feet, poodle tail, and the body one length. I learned it was a kennel cut, but I would just aske the customer exactly what they want and adjust accordingly.
                This is exactly what they want around here too, I just make sure that their "one length all over" is the same as my "one length all over" and we can adjust from there. I tell new clients it takes up to 3 times grooming your guy before both our brains really meld and we both get exactly what the client wants. Some are very happy on the first groom, some on the second, but almost all are satisfied by the third. Most usually end up in some sort of lamb and didnt even know it was called that. And I take really detailed notes.

Comment

My standard answer...

Generally, when someone gives me a name for a clip, like standard poodle cut or puppy cut, I just start asking more specific questions. I had one client start to get annoyed with me, so he asked me what I thought a puppy cut meant (insinuating that I didn't know what I was doing). I told him that a "Puppy Cut" meant I had to ask more questions. We both laughed, he relaxed and I was able to get the info I needed to clip his dog how he wanted. When I first started, I too was concerned that people wouldn't think I know what I'm doing. Now, I just make sure that I'm providing the groom they expect.
                  "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

You guys are amazing! Thank you so, so, so much!!

Comment

Working...
                    X