X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! Breeder site that is not half bad

in the grooming department at least.

http://laurelmountaindoodles.com/id57.html

I couldn't believe it. She actually tells people that the dogs can get matted and how to avoid it....
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Wow,all I can say is kudo's to her, She even retires her dogs and has the next expected litter totally rehomed. I never thought I would see this from a designer dog breeder.

Comment

Yes, but she does seem to put down groomers a bit. "They WILL shave your dog... They DON'T know what a labradoodle should look like" Well, they will shave your dog, because YOU don't properly take care of it and the breeder lied to you and told you it doesn't get matted. And show me the breed profile for a labradoodle!
      Other than that, it was pretty decent. Except that she spelled Bichon wrong!

Comment

Lots of good info,, but the part about the sharp scissors is kinda scarey. I don't even use real scissors to split mats. I use a tiny scissor from one of those mini travel sewing kits.

Comment

WOW is right! If every breeder was this responsible we would have far fewer problems with these dogs. Good job on their part. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I was also impressed with the health testing she does.....more than some show breeders I know.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
              Lots of good info,, but the part about the sharp scissors is kinda scarey. I don't even use real scissors to split mats. I use a tiny scissor from one of those mini travel sewing kits.
              Just a suggestion... I use a letter opener. Just the cheap little plastic ones with the razor thing. I pick up a few at a time at Walmart; they are with the office supplies. They work great! (I only use them on ears and tails though. I don't do much dematting beyond that unless it comes out with my mattzapper.)

Comment

Some of that info was scary! I also don't agree that a doodle should only be combed/brushed once a month! Especially at the length of hair this lady is talking about. Yes, we will shave your dog down if it is matted, and doodles tend to mat if you look @ them crosseyed!
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

When you consider that most doodle breeders say they dont need bathed, brushed or groomed, its not half bad. I dont agree with everything she says, but people disagree with some of my techniqeus as well. At least she acknowledges that they need brushing and combing and that matting is a problem.

Comment

Yep--that is really nice. And she even goes to the extent to explain proper combing and upkeep..Nice.. I am impressed. From what I read, you can tell that she has a good amount of grooming background. That likely accounts for her being honest!!
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

yes.

There ARE some people who take designer dog breeding serious. the australian labradoodle club of america has a list of rules and proper health testing that members must adhere to.

We wouldn't have many breeds if people didn't start cross breeding dogs at some stage, and there are those who feel we still need more new breeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                        I was also impressed with the health testing she does.....more than some show breeders I know.
                        I know, It was pretty cool. I was honestly very impressed.

Comment

Working...
                        X