Bichon Poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bichon Poodle

I posted this in the other board. I groom a Bichon Poodle mix and he's the cutest little thing. His mom likes him to be left long but curly. So I brush him, bathe him, dry him straight, give him his cut and bathe him again. Then I put him in a crate with a fresh air dryer on him. I feel bad because it's cold air and it takes a while for him to dry but that's how his mom likes him. I used to have a pic, but not anymore.
    Becky

Have you ever tried just spritzing the coat with water instead of rebathing? That's what I would do...

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
      Have you ever tried just spritzing the coat with water instead of rebathing? That's what I would do...
      That's what my daughter does with a dog she does. It seems like to me it can't be good the wet the dog down again and dry it with cold air.

Comment

Yeah I've tried just spritzing, but his hair stays straight. Then I tried just wetting him down, same thing. I actually have to completely rebathe him. We just got our other cage dryer working again. It's warm air and doesn't have any force to it, so next time I'm going to use that along with the fresh air dryer just in case the warm air dryer gets to hot. That's why it was fixed to begin with, it kept overheating and also caused the cord to become extremely hot. Plus I never leave the dogs anyways that do cage dry. If I do have to go help with boarding, I'm checking in on the every couple minutes. Most of the time if I have to leave the room, I turn off the dryers.
        Becky

Comment

That just doesn't make sense to me, Becky. Putting shampoo and/or conditioner or not on the coat shouldn't make any difference on how it dries as those coats kink up, anyway! Do you charge for the second bath?

Comment

Yes...that seems like a lot of wasted time to me too, especially if you arent charging for that 2nd bath...does the coat knot up more quickly that way?
            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Try a product called Crown Royal (not the liquer) water it down a little, and spritz it on the coat to dampen it. It is what Kerry Blue show groomers use to get that wave down their back after they have been groomed fluffy. It will not make the dog oily or greasy either.

Comment

Yes, my boss charges for the second bath. His coat is strange, I used to do another dog this way and I only had to spritz him and comb the water thru and he's be a curly cue, but for some reason this dogs coat wont do it. I never worry about him knotting up because his mom combs him at home. I think in the year I've been doing him, I've combed out one mat, and it was little at that.

I'm gonna have to try that Crown Royal, because now the Goldendoodle I do, the owner wants him left curly too. Course just water would probably work on that guy. There is no way I'm going to stick him back in the tub. He's bigger than a Dane. Plus a handful to groom, he's always matted. His owner is 4'11" and he fights her the whole time while she brushes him. She gets everything except his belly and back legs. Everything else is never matted.
                Becky

Comment

If the dog is not too dirty when he comes in can you trim him first, them bathe, cage dry and then trim scraggles?
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

That just doesn't make sense to me, Becky. Putting shampoo and/or conditioner or not on the coat shouldn't make any difference on how it dries as those coats kink up, anyway! Do you charge for the second bath?
                    I figured just spraying him with water again would make him curl, Its the drying theat takes the curl out?????
                    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                    Nancy

Comment

I think I would try both kinds of Crown Royal if I had to completely rebath a dog just to get curl... LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Comment

I think I would try both kinds of Crown Royal if I had to completely rebath a dog just to get curl... LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist!
                        This way both of you can get curled hair....lol
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have one like that.........

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                          Yeah I've tried just spritzing, but his hair stays straight. Then I tried just wetting him down, same thing. I actually have to completely rebathe him.

It's supposed to be a labradoodle, but it looks like an oversized mini-poo to me. Anyhow, my solution is to completely groom this dog BEFORE I bathe him. Yup, I do everything that has to be done, with the exception of cologne, then into the tub he goes. Technically he's done, he just has to sit until he's dry. Oh, I do HV him a bit after the bath so he's not sopping wet. He's the only unbathed dog my equipment ever touches, and I've found it makes both of our lives easier when I do it that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X