Need Help Please! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Please! :)

So I have a customer coming in who wants this cut on their dog. http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...pszli1xkhb.jpg

I think I should be able to do it, but whenever I do something I haven't done before I have a mini panic attack, thinking I'm going to do it wrong. To me it looks like a doughnut mustache for the most part but I really don't know what to do with the sides or the top of the head. Is the entire top of the head put into a ponytail? If anyone has any tips please please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you have any pictures of the back of the head and the side of the face with a dog that has a cut that looks like this and could post it that would be so awesome! I think that hardest part about this kind of grooming for me is that I tend to like tight feet and I almost always shave the bridge of the nose.

Knowing that most of the dogs we do get teddy bear faces, and that the majority of the ones who want ponytails still have bangs that get trimmed because the owners don't want to take the time to grow the top of the head out, I don't expect that I will be able to do the head like this anyways, but just in case, I would like to be semi-prepared. Ive been watching grooming videos on youtube and studying pictures online, lol and my boyfriend (who is also a groomer) is laughing at me for "freaking out" so much over this.

If I remember correctly the top of the head and the ears are left long this is what creates that full look on top. you can do just about anything with it down the neck - you could make a mane, shave it from behind the skull and just leave the top part. Had it done before they won't know what is supposed to be right or wrong. I had a friend, an older Polish woman, who used to say about her recipes when ever anybody said oh it tasted different before, or seven so made it differently, she would just tell people that "this is how it's supposed to be".

Comment

Sides of the face usually with a seven or a five, and yes donut mustache but REALLY short on the chin. I always think I get there, but when I look at pictures it's not nearly short enough.

Pretty much need to grow out the topknot, and if there is a visor you can do what I did with this pup. Grow out the visor long enough to be able to make a tiny pony tail in front, include a longer piece of hair with that, and then attach it to the longer bigger topknot in back until it grows out. You just can't have a visor in this style, the eyes will not pop and that is usually what the owner finds so attractive about it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Okay, this sorta reminds me of the people who tell us they want their dog to look just like the dog on the Little Cesar's dog food cans. And you look at their dog and tell them (gently) you can do this if they bring you the dog that is actually on the dog food can. Otherwise, no.

That's like me going to a hairdresser and telling her to make me look just like Angelina Jolie. It ain't gonna happen. I ain't Angelina and I know it.

The first question I have is, does the dog that is coming in for you to groom even *remotely* resemble the dog in the photograph? Does it have the length of coat, the face, the thickness and texture of coat, and a million other details, to allow you to make it look just like that dog in the photo?

If it doesn't, the owners are asking the impossible of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post

The first question I have is, does the dog that is coming in for you to groom even *remotely* resemble the dog in the photograph? Does it have the length of coat, the face, the thickness and texture of coat, and a million other details, to allow you to make it look just like that dog in the photo?

If it doesn't, the owners are asking the impossible of you.
          I wish I knew. My boss was just like. "Hey I scheduled a dog with you that is getting a fun haircut. " then showed me a picture that the owner sent her. I asked my boss if the dog even has that kind of hair and she said "I don't know I guess we will see when they come in" I will have to post a picture of how it comes out once I do it, lol.

Comment

Trick is really in giving volume in the muzzle. Do not shave top of nose. Sides of face/ cheeks can be a #7. topknot or pullup is from corner of eye to corner of ear but I have seen slightly narrower topknot lines ( like in this Shihtzu)
            But even if they don't have long enough hair for huge topknot you can still band the very front. Lightly clip hairs right on eyelid rim ( lashes too). Makes eye pop. You might be tempted to shave hair from under eyes like a poodle moustache, but if you do just lightly skim and finish with thinners, it looks better. Print out your pic and draw your shapes on it. Notice how tight the muzzle is and how it doesn't droop. Pay attention to how much hair is on chin etc.
            I have the most trouble taking the muzzle that short and getting it to stand up enough this is as close as I've gotten

Please post pics.

Comment

Here is same dog but different groom where I took the sides of face much shorterhere is view of side of face, I should have gone shorter from outside corner of eye, and see how heavy the muzzle is and causes it to droop instead of standing out to sides? Remove some weight and probably need combo of volume shampoo( strip and light) and product to get hair to stand.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and pictures. I feel a little more confident that I will be able to do something similar to it (or inspired by it). I forget what day I am to have them...I think Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                  Trick is really in giving volume in the muzzle.
                  Judging by the texture of the rest of the coat, I have a feeling that dog's muzzle looks like it does because it has more "starch" in it than a tuxedo shirt. I'll bet you could bounce small change off it without making a dent.

They could do that because they wanted a specific look for the photograph. But for real life, it just won't work very well.

Comment

I do a similar muzzle on my Schauzer mix. The key is to first take the chin very short. Then comb the hair forward and thin off EVERYTHING that sticks past the nose. At this point your dog's muzzle will be squarish, so comb everything into place and use thinners to round it out. Bd very careful taking anything off the top of the muzzle--most dogs won't need any hair removed from up top at all. My Reboot has very thick hair so I do trim it slightly so he can see over it. On a silky Maltese you shouldn't need to trim anything off the top.

The sides of the face are taken down with a 7 blade (basically follow the Schnauzer pattern, from outside eye corner to whisker dots). Then use thinners to blend everything in smooth. Comb the hair in different directions to get rid of sticky-outies that could appear later.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423512038.058634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1122064

Comment

Ok so the customer came in today and of course there was absolutely no way that I was going to be able to make the dog look like the picture he showed me so I did my best lol.

This is the picture that he showed me: http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps5bnjj6bg.jpg

This is what the dog actually looked like (picture taken after bath and blow dry): http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...pszf2pgjk0.jpg
                      All I was thinking was "of course it would have some jacked up legs and a teddy bear face" lol but I think I did alright for being my first attempt at this style of groom and what I was given to work with.

This is what I did: http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...pstna9bqqu.jpg and http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps1o3frpia.jpg

It killed me to leave the legs like that but I told the customer that if he wanted his dog to look anything like the dog in the picture then I was going to leave her head, ears and legs this time and not touch them until they were grown out a bit. I did the face, and a #5F on the body because he didn't want the body as short as in the picture until the legs were grown out longer.

Comment

Very nice with what you were given. Shorten the chin and make sure it has that nice smile curve up. Can't wait to see the progress. Keep posting!

Comment

I think it looks great! You will want to scoop out the eye corners better though. When they're left long like that it looks like the dog is looking out from a tunnel and it shrinks the eyes. Clearing the hair well enlarges the eyes and gives that super cute cartoony effect.

Comment

Looks good considering you didn't have much to work with. I would take the sides of the face shorter and the chin. You want to get that rounded mustache look.

Comment

Thanks guys I hope that the owner keeps the hair brushed out and doesn't cut the dogs hair at home. I think once her hair grows out more, that her legs might actually look pretty good because she actually has nice hair. I definitely need to make the chin shorter and the eyes cleaner, and looking at the pictures I really wish I would have neatened up the legs but I didn't trim them at all because I want them to grow out. In the mean time I will keep reading up on the style because I feel like it's becoming more popular in my area and feel like I will be doing a lot more hair cuts like this in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X