Holistic grooming and care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holistic grooming and care

Loved reading about this here and I see the controversies, but that is how we learn, just be nice. Holistic pet grooming is a new concept and potential. If it is real we will make it real and learn and define what it is, or isn't. I think holistic grooming will certainly take the pre groom inspection to a new depth of professional practice. It takes observation, look keenly for skin issues, ear issues, weight issues or lack of, lumps, bumps, eye checks, physical constraints etc. So it is a more timely formal approach to say does this pet have any conditions that would affect how I groom the pet, record that info for the owner, recommend vet care etc. We sort of do that already but we are then looking at the dog or cat even as a picture of their state of being and then saying, is the grooming process for the order given by the pet owner appropriate, and advising not medically what the owner needs to be concerned of. Perhaps the pet needs a simpler groom due to its condition and not enduring a more complicated groom, or it needs special even vet shampoos and treatments as part of the groom. Again I know we sort of do this already to varying degrees, but I think it could be more formalized and even our software made more custom for this type of recording of observations and report printing. There is a lot of potential here.

What does this mean?
    "advising not medically what the owner needs to be concerned of."

Comment

Yep, pretty lousy words huh? I meant not making medical diagnoses but descriptions of conditions.

Other than the thoughts in original post and this what would holistic grooming be.

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
      What does this mean?
      "advising not medically what the owner needs to be concerned of."

Comment

I don't see how making observations and recommendations to seek vetrinary care is holistic. It's just run-of-the-mill grooming reports.

Holistic is using supplements and natural remedies to treat medical conditions. Like tea tree oil for hot spots. Or sugar scrubs and vinegar rinses for yeastiness. Adding glucosamine for arthritis.

Just saying "your dog has a yeast infection, you need to see the vet" isn't holistic. Saying "your dog has a yeast infection and this is what we can do about it" then recommending various natural remedies IS holistic. BUT you are walking a fine line with practicing vetrinary medicine because while you are giving the dog drugs or surgeries, you ARE treating a dogs medical issue.

I consider reiki and crystal therapy as holistic, but generally not something that would run the risk of law enforcement intervention. So is canine massage. Things that DO treat various ailments AFTER they have been diagnosed by a licensed vet. Acupuncture I wouldn't mess with because there are needles involved and that seems too close to practicing medicine.

Comment

I think any grooming that wants to do a true "holisitc" approach in grooming should work directly with vet referrals. There are a lot of holistic vets out there. We have therapy places that offer a holistic approach to joint disease and programs are done by prescription only, I don't see why this can't be done with grooming. I think having a good relationship with the vet would be even better for the grooming to be able to charge a premium.

Comment

Vets dont know everything

Veterinarians do not spend their lives bathing dogs and going over every square inch of the dogs skin and every hair every few months.
            Also how many of us hear every little detail of the life of the dog and owners which makes it easier to help them.

I would say that my clients are family and I care for them WHOLE heartedly so I am totally in agreement that the subject is important. True wholistic grooming is a term that should not offend anyone and if they are against the concept then maybe they are missing the point.

Many of us can just look at a dog and know there are certain issues going on, or we can tell by the expression of our own dogs when they don't feel well. I love the concept and when you look at wholistic Veterinarians, the concept is obviously just as new and controversial yet welcomed and embraced by pet parents.

Comment

Kindred Spirits!

I'm so excited about this forum! Holistic grooming is what I strive for in every encounter. I work exclusively with cats and know they respond best to this type of care. The concept has certainly been met with criticism, doubt, and even ridicule. I don't care what the naysayers think and agree they are totally missing the point.

Along with some incredibly talented groomers, I am so pleased to announce we are hosting a cat grooming educational conference with the focus on holistic grooming practices. It's happening in Portland, Maine on August 2-3, 2014. I'll start another thread about so I don't hijack this one entirely.

Thank you all for working to get the word out about holistic care.

Comment

seems interesting and too old hope this forum is active and I love to know more about Holistic grooming and care

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  seems interesting and too old hope this forum is active and I love to know more about Holistic grooming and care
                  It has been written about in some magazines. Actually look at the new Petco commercial on TV. They don't use the word holistic, but they talk about they help owners with entire care grooming, food, health.

Comment

Working...
                  X