Please correct me If anything is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please correct me If anything is wrong

1. You should not wash a dog before or after stripping the coat.
    2. Stripping involves removing the "Fuzzy undercoat" and keeping the top coat.
    3. Do you clip the sanitary area? Do you clip any other areas(ie ears, face)
    4. Do you leave the whole body the same lenght or create the breed standard by plucking specific areas?
    5. How often is this done? How do you know what to pluck?
    6.Do you pluck the whole undercoat at one time and then let it grow and then pluck whatever undercoat grows?
    7.How are you just able to grad the undercoat and not the coarse hair?
    8 Does the notes from the grooming table book have any notes?
    9. How do you remove the powder from the coat if you don't bathe them?
    10. How long till they can be washed?

Thankyou so much for any help on this or anything you can point out.

Example fox terrier.

Originally posted by groominglife View Post
    1. You should not wash a dog before or after stripping the coat.
    2. Stripping involves removing the "Fuzzy undercoat" and keeping the top coat.
    3. Do you clip the sanitary area? Do you clip any other areas(ie ears, face)
    4. Do you leave the whole body the same lenght or create the breed standard by plucking specific areas?
    5. How often is this done? How do you know what to pluck?
    6.Do you pluck the whole undercoat at one time and then let it grow and then pluck whatever undercoat grows?
    7.How are you just able to grad the undercoat and not the coarse hair?
    8 Does the notes from the grooming table book have any notes?
    9. How do you remove the powder from the coat if you don't bathe them?
    10. How long till they can be washed?

Thankyou so much for any help on this or anything you can point out.

Example fox terrier.

I think you might want to read about stripping a little more. You seem to have it backward. You don't strip the undercoat.
    Last edited by Alice; 10-30-07, 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

Hand Stripping

The entire coat is stripped including the top coat. The coat is staged with the areas to be left shorter such as head, butt, and neck stripped out after the top coat is pulled. I would suggest you go to some of the wire coated terrier parent club websites for their grooming instructions or booklets. NOTHING is clipped or scissored on wire coated dogs. Furnishings are bathed but are thinned and evened by stripping. Hope this helps, you really need to learn hand stripping from a professional, it isn't learned from books very easily. The concepts can be studied but you have to watch to learn.

Comment

Wow, I actually got this from a website of a breeder!
        A long while ago I was trained to pluck most of the hair and then the pet came back in about three months and we'd pluck the top coat again. After plucking each time we'd bathe it. I had stopped plucking do to hand pain. Then I read the website and I was just like "Was I doing it wrong this whole time????" This is why I asked Seriously thank you for clearing that up I thought I learned everything wrong.

Comment

My impression was that it is ok to bath them after. Not bathing them before is just to make the hair easier to pluck. Also they seem to be bathed less frequently because of not wanting to soften the coat or somthing but I not quiet clear on that point.

Comment

How much you pluck depends on what breed you're working with. The schnauzers my boss strips for show get plucked to absolutely nothing. Some of the other terriers she does only some of the coat gets plucked.
            She also bathes right after stripping if they need it.
            I would do a lot more research on it. Talk to several different people.

Comment

Depends on the reason the dog is being stripped.
              If its a pet that the owner just likes the idea of the dog being stripped to maintain coat colour and texture its up to you, the owner and how cooperative the dog is.
              If its a dog for the show ring it will need to be stricter in relation to how much is stripped and how often.
              I do all sorts of different stripping regimes depending on the dogs lifestyle.

With most harsh coated pets that are clipped I always try to card the coat before the bath and after clipping to remove dead hair and hopefully improve the health of the clipped coat.
              Some pets where the owner wants to preserve the coat texture and colour I card the dog before the bath. If the coat is totally blown (fully grown out and ready to come out) I will use a coat king before the bath also. Then wash the dog, get on latex gloves and pluck the saddle and tail. I usually clip the head and ears then scissor and thin the legs. I may pluck small amounts where needed off the legs, eyebrows etc.
              I also show several breeds of long-legged terriers particularly WH fox terriers. The coat is first staged and then rolled during show season. Staging means stripping back an area to the 'fuzzies' and allowing it to grow in. Start with the area on the body that you want to be the longest by the end of the staging rotation (hope this makes sense). For example if the show is in x number of weeks I want the saddle to be longest on the day of the show so I strip that back first and then the next week do the next longest area and so on until you are doing the head say two weeks from show day so it has a chance to grow in etc. Once the entire coat has been staged and rotated, rolling means to keep plucking away consistently to keep the coat in prime condition for show season.
              The furnishings e.g. the beard, legs and eyebrows are barely touched as these take the longest to grow and are the hardest ot maintain full.

We rarely (if ever) bathe show dogs even though several go shooting and when those white legs come back all dirty they are allowed to dry naturally and then combed out (no slickers).
              Pet dogs if the dog is pretty clean I will card and pluck as much as I can before the bath becaue you will have better grip on dirtier hair but if the dog is dirty I will card, coat king, bathe and then pluck.

How often this needs to be done will depend on the dogs coat growth cycle. Most adult dogs that I stage I will usually give 8-12 weeks to expect a full body of good coat.

You don;t have to take every thing. The best tip is to only take hair that is ready to come out - hair that comes away easily.
              If the dog is brought back to its fuzzies and then allowed to grow out you can take just the blown coat leaving beautiful coarse hair behind.

Yes try to pluck/strip areas as for the breed pattern as if you were clipping.

We use powder on dogs for the show ring and if its left in the coat may cause itchiness, hair loss and dryness. Straight after the dog has been exhibited I use a rubber brush and chamois to loosen and remove powder since we are unlikely to bathe the dog.

Phew that was a long explanation, hope it helps though. The old Stone Grooming guide gives some brief explanation of handstripping that is good to help you to understand how it works and I think there is a book on the Paragon website - its a compilation of hand stripping articles but I don't know how good it is.

Comment

Nice, Anner! Lots of info. :-)

Comment

Anner:
                  "If the dog is brought back to its fuzzies and then allowed to grow out you can take just the blown coat leaving beautiful coarse hair behind."

Thanks for all the info Anner! If a pet owner only has their dog HS about twice a year, should the whole body (not legs, etc...) be taken down to "its fuzzies" each time then since its only done a couple times?

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X