Where can I learn to hand strip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I learn to hand strip?

In grooming academy we were told it took many hours to handstrip if not all day so it was out of the question for us to do.Leave it to the professional handlers is what my instructor told us.Where would I learn this technique?Also do you need the knives or can you just pluck with your fingers?

I use stripping knives as well as my fingers, and some other tools as well. The best way to get to learn is to research and get a basic understanding of the process. Then approach some show breeders in your area and ask if they would mind teaching you. You may end up as free labor for a while, but it's quite the education if you have the patience.

Comment

I use knives and my fingers. I have one client with a cairn that I just top the coat every few weeks, that's pretty easy. You just take out some of the coat evenly so you have different layers of hair coming through all the time and the dog is always in coat. My dandie dinmont had pups about 9 weeks ago, and as usual, her coat completely blew a couple of weeks ago. I pulled her down to her undercoat with my fingers (probably took an hour with the blown coat). She'll look nice by Christmas. I take a lot of short cuts that you can't do if you're showing like clipping ears and rears cause the dogs usually hate it.

Best thing to do if you really want to learn is read up on it and then get with whatever terrier breeders are in your local kennel club and see if you can work with them a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Briarpatch View Post
        My dandie dinmont had pups about 9 weeks ago, and as usual, her coat completely blew a couple of weeks ago.
        How do you tell if a coat has "blown"?
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

If you go to Pet Pro Classic in Dallas Scott Wasserman AKA Mr. Terrier is teaching four classes in terrier care. Part three is all about handstripping. I am going to be on the front row.

Comment

First off... I WANT A DANDIE! I've been dying for years for one! A good one is SO hard to find.. and when you do.. the breeders don't want to part with them, even when I SWEAR AND PROMISE to show it!

Secondly, YES I will be doing an intense 4 hour terrier program at the U. S. Pet Pro Classic! (check out petstylist.com for more details!)

I will be showing the difference between a completely blown coat and a new coat and how to deal with both!

(I'm waiting for my Dandie!!)

Comment

Scott, this may seem off the wall, but will we be able to touch the dog, to feel the difference between the coat ready to blow and that which is not ready? I am such a hands on learner that touching is the best way for me to learn. SO I was wondering.... look forward to the class.
              Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
                Scott, this may seem off the wall, but will we be able to touch the dog, to feel the difference between the coat ready to blow and that which is not ready?
                Hey, that is exactly what I was going to ask.

Comment

me too

I was going to ask the same question, I have been to so many seminars about breeds and they do not trim the dog all the way, or they do not let you get up and personal.... what up Scott? You gonna cut that dog or admire it?

Comment

Touchy feely!

Yes you can touch it! I like touchy feely seminars!

Me and my show DAWG can be touched! Nothing bothers me more than when some stylists come in with an already groomed dog, show you nothing and won't let you even touch the dog!

Go ahead... feel away!

Comment

Is there a particular place we should touch Mr. Terrier?

<<<<snickerin'>>>

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Terrier View Post
                        I like touchy feely seminars!
                        As long as you don't start crying or make us do a group hug.

Comment

Heehee

Well seeing as I am EXTREMELY ticklish...no where! But you can touch my dog all you want!

I won't shed a tear... but what's wrong with a group hug?? Maybe it will help spread good Karma and help with the flow of positive Chi!

Comment

OK...ROFL! If you insist, I will "rub the dog"....gee what we groomers do! LOL!
                            Last edited by hairdevil; 10-27-07, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Terrier View Post
                              but what's wrong with a group hug??
                              Tammy smells like wet dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X