Brussels Griffon Stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussels Griffon Stripping

A friend of mine recently came to me about her Wirehaired Brussels Griffon. The Brussels has been clippered since it was a pup and she is about 2.5 years old now. She asked me if I could start stripping her coat because its unpleasantly soft and she would like to get that wirey tecture back.

Now, I'm more comfortable with Cairn Terriers... never stripped a Brussels. In fact I've never stripped a dog who has been clippered previously. I've been doing some research and I pretty much have the pattern down, it's the technique I'm wondering about.

Would I strip the dead guard hairs, leaving the soft undercoat until the guard hairs come back in, and then go through and remove the undercoat? From the looks of it she is pretty plush, so I'm not sure how this is going to work out. Any opinions or pointers much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Can you post photos? She may be a "fluffy" in which case no amount of stripping will fix it...but generally you pull them ALL THE WAY to the skin. Not Pjs, SKIN. (at least the one I had and the ones we groomed for a handler we did that way until we could get a nice rolled coat)
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I've brought a couple terriers back from being clippered, but it's not always possible. But parti is right. The dog needs to be nekkid. No fur left, because you won't be able to tell the guard hair from the undercoat because its all the same texture now. It's a slow process and you have to be careful because the soft hair breaks very easily. It will probably have to be done in short sessions over a week or two. Then let it grow in, and repeat until a wire texture comes back. Then you can start building the layers.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
        Can you post photos? She may be a "fluffy" in which case no amount of stripping will fix it...but generally you pull them ALL THE WAY to the skin. Not Pjs, SKIN. (at least the one I had and the ones we groomed for a handler we did that way until we could get a nice rolled coat)
        Ill ask her for a pic and I appreciate the info. I'm not sure of she'll go through with it if it involves taking her baby girl to nakedness. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdays04 View Post
          I've brought a couple terriers back from being clippered, but it's not always possible. But parti is right. The dog needs to be nekkid. No fur left, because you won't be able to tell the guard hair from the undercoat because its all the same texture now. It's a slow process and you have to be careful because the soft hair breaks very easily. It will probably have to be done in short sessions over a week or two. Then let it grow in, and repeat until a wire texture comes back. Then you can start building the layers.
          You explained that very well dark. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X