Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standard Schnauzer puppy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Standard Schnauzer puppy!

    I got to strip this cute lil' bugger yesterday. He is a 10 week old standard schnauzer. He is such a big puppy for only 10 weeks, I had to ask her if she meant giant instead of standard. His grandfather is supposedly some champion from westminster. I don't know if his parents are finished, I'm assuming not as that wasn't brought up only the grandsire. She said she wants to get her daughter started in Junior showing w/ this pup. We'll see. I don't know a whole lot, but I do know that he is roached and has absolutely NO tail, not even a lump of fat covering his hiney. Nothing. Seems like that might be a fault of some kind. However, this puppy is beyond sweet and was super good for the entire thing. He did get tired at the end and wanted to nap while I finished! I have never gotten to strip on a pup younger then 6 months so this was a treat. The first couple of layers stripped out easily, but the lower ones were tougher and I ended up leaving him a little shaggier then I wanted due to it not being ready and me not wanting to make it a bad experience for him (or me). His head was really the worst part. It was fairly soft and rooted like no other. His eyebrows are all wonky,hopefully they will straighten out w/ the weight as they grow. He didn't have much in the way of feathering on his legs and it was fairly wiry, I don't know if that is normal or not, but anyway. I hope you can see these, black dogs are so hard to photo. Here he is, the cute lil' bugger!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0379.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1136336Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1136337Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0381.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1136338Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0382.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1136339Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0383.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1136340
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

  • #2
    Oh I love him. He's so beautiful. You lucky groomer you!

    Comment


    • #3
      they are only judging the handler's skill in Jr's, not the quality of the dog. Cute puppy


      Lisa

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dobesngsd View Post
        they are only judging the handler's skill in Jr's, not the quality of the dog. Cute puppy


        Lisa
        I had no idea, thanks for that. He would be good for that then. He seems to have a very even keel personality, good for a child to work with.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh look at that face! What a cute Schnauzer puppy! I especially love the blacks
          amanda
          ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

          Comment


          • #6
            First of all what a stinking adorable pup!

            I work at a petsomething too and no one there handstrips. I asked about it and I was told we don't have a way of charging for it in the computer program we use. But then I was told another groomer who used to work in the salon DID handstrip two request dogs. And that when she left she specifically made sure the owners wouldn't be able to contact her because she HATED doing it with a passion because it took so long she lost money.

            I want to learn at least the basics of handstripping but my coworkers have sort of scared me away from bothering at this time.

            So Dane... What are your thoughts? Have you ever been told you can't handstrip? I also heard a rumor that stripping knives weren't a "salon approved" tool so we're aren't even suppose to have them.



            (Posting with my so-called smartphone using the Tapatalk app.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Coming from a very aged out junior... Yes, the judge is supossed to ONLY be judging the handlers skills. But get a kid in there with a tailess schnauzer, & a kid with a retired champion... I can tell you who wins. Unfortunatly politics doesnt stay out of the juniors ring. He would probablly do great as a 4h dog.
              I always hate to see kids discouragred because the kid next to them was so & so's kid, or thry were in the jrs ring with last years top ten.

              He does look like a giant puppy, even in the head.... Very cute though

              Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
              If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Thru the Viewfinder View Post
                I work at a petsomething too and no one there handstrips. I asked about it and I was told we don't have a way of charging for it in the computer program we use. But then I was told another groomer who used to work in the salon DID handstrip two request dogs. And that when she left she specifically made sure the owners wouldn't be able to contact her because she HATED doing it with a passion because it took so long she lost money.

                I want to learn at least the basics of handstripping but my coworkers have sort of scared me away from bothering at this time.

                So Dane... What are your thoughts? Have you ever been told you can't handstrip? I also heard a rumor that stripping knives weren't a "salon approved" tool so we're aren't even suppose to have them.
                I have never been told I can't handstrip. My salon manager likes that I know how and will do it, just another service that puts us above the crowd, ya know? As far as not being able to use the stripping knife? Well, the stripping knife is essentially a carding blade, so if we can't use a stripping knife, then we shouldn't be able to use a furminator brush either. Even after that, you don't *need* to use a stripping knife, you can use just your fingers or even a stripping stone, I simply prefer the knife. The way I charge is to use the Brush/Dematt/Scissor (b/d/s) fee and add that to a bath & brush (b&b) if they want one. They have all wanted the b&b so far, but I always offer it as a way to cut costs for them if they don't mind bathing at home. This puppy took me 1.5 hours to strip, then got the b&b so I charged the b&b + b/d/s 1hr + (2) b/d/s 15min. I suppose I have gotten my speed up enough that this pricing works for me. I charged more for this groom then what our pricing for a full cut on a standard poodle would be and it took me about the same amount of time. Of course I still have to answer phones and such, so I don't charge for the whole time, I might miss out on a 15 b/d/s fee, but I am ok with that. My advice for you would be try to find someone who will let you use their dog as a guinea pig to learn on. I was fortunate in that a co-worker who has a few too many dogs had a black mini schnauzer puppy that I could learn on. I can tell you that schnauzers (more specifically minis) are probably one of the hardest to do, the hair is a harder pull. If anything you can always start out just by plucking the heads on westies and cairns when they come in for cuts. It is a small thing, doesn't take long and can make a huge difference in how the head looks, if not right away certainly over a couple of grooms. It is addictive and I always love the days when I have a handstrip coming in. Of all the things I do for grooming, nothing is as satisfying as the handstripping. One or 2 of my co-workers have shown a little bit of interest in learning it. One will do a little here and there anytime she gets a wiry dog just learn the feel of it. I think what turns some groomers off is the fact that they think it will hurt the dog. It shouldn't hurt the dog. If it is hurting, then the coat is not ready to be plucked, simply card it out and try again in another couple of weeks. I always shave the neck, potties and inside of ears (where applicable), those can be ouchy spots, but really they need to be very short anyway, so I just shave them. Down the backside of the rear legs can be a bit ouchy too, I pluck and card as much as the dog will allow and then blend that into the potties w/ my thinning shears. On schnauzers sometimes the chest is shaved as well to get that as flat as possible, especially if it is very soft fur there. I can tell you that after a while the dogs get sleepy and relaxed, so it can't be that bad.
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                  I have never been told I can't handstrip. My salon manager likes that I know how and will do it, just another service that puts us above the crowd, ya know? As far as not being able to use the stripping knife? Well, the stripping knife is essentially a carding blade, so if we can't use a stripping knife, then we shouldn't be able to use a furminator brush either. Even after that, you don't *need* to use a stripping knife, you can use just your fingers or even a stripping stone, I simply prefer the knife. The way I charge is to use the Brush/Dematt/Scissor (b/d/s) fee and add that to a bath & brush (b&b) if they want one. They have all wanted the b&b so far, but I always offer it as a way to cut costs for them if they don't mind bathing at home. This puppy took me 1.5 hours to strip, then got the b&b so I charged the b&b + b/d/s 1hr + (2) b/d/s 15min. I suppose I have gotten my speed up enough that this pricing works for me. I charged more for this groom then what our pricing for a full cut on a standard poodle would be and it took me about the same amount of time. Of course I still have to answer phones and such, so I don't charge for the whole time, I might miss out on a 15 b/d/s fee, but I am ok with that. My advice for you would be try to find someone who will let you use their dog as a guinea pig to learn on. I was fortunate in that a co-worker who has a few too many dogs had a black mini schnauzer puppy that I could learn on. I can tell you that schnauzers (more specifically minis) are probably one of the hardest to do, the hair is a harder pull. If anything you can always start out just by plucking the heads on westies and cairns when they come in for cuts. It is a small thing, doesn't take long and can make a huge difference in how the head looks, if not right away certainly over a couple of grooms. It is addictive and I always love the days when I have a handstrip coming in. Of all the things I do for grooming, nothing is as satisfying as the handstripping. One or 2 of my co-workers have shown a little bit of interest in learning it. One will do a little here and there anytime she gets a wiry dog just learn the feel of it. I think what turns some groomers off is the fact that they think it will hurt the dog. It shouldn't hurt the dog. If it is hurting, then the coat is not ready to be plucked, simply card it out and try again in another couple of weeks. I always shave the neck, potties and inside of ears (where applicable), those can be ouchy spots, but really they need to be very short anyway, so I just shave them. Down the backside of the rear legs can be a bit ouchy too, I pluck and card as much as the dog will allow and then blend that into the potties w/ my thinning shears. On schnauzers sometimes the chest is shaved as well to get that as flat as possible, especially if it is very soft fur there. I can tell you that after a while the dogs get sleepy and relaxed, so it can't be that bad.
                  I would just like to tell you that I GREATLY appreciate your response! I DO want to know how to do it, even if its not something I do all the time. I know I don't want someone to walk in, and request it and me feel totally overwhelmed or worse, displease the customer and make them leave because I don't got what they want. lol

                  I almost want to print out your reply and put it in my drawer, haha.

                  I've heard of the pumice stone, that its a good idea to start with it. Do you have to have the stripping powder? Is the ear powder bad for the other areas of their coat? Starting with heads only as practice sounds like a good game plan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You suggested taking a look at groomersmall.com/superior_quality.htm so I went and looked at it. OMG! I understand the process, but do pet parents need all that work? I didn't expect such drastic photos, I admit it shocked me and it comes off as very extreme to do! I am not sure that I could convince a pet parent to let me HS a dog and be happy when it leaves in a bald splotchy "mess" like the Schnauzer in those photos.

                    So, is there some difference to a HS for show dog and HS for a pet parent who has no knowledge of how "extreme" it looks in the process?

                    Sorry if I sound like some client who can't take your word for it, but I honestly am shocked by those photos!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is that really the website you wanted me to look at? I am confused. I don't see what you are referring to. Stripping for a pet shouldn't be so invasive. Sometimes at first you may have a bald spot or 2, this is something the client needs to be aware can happen, but I try to avoid it where possible. I have one mini schnauzer that is about 7 years old and had been clippered all her life. The first time I stripped her out she did have a few bald spots, but only because her hair was so thin to begin w/. She was one of those that would have looked almost bald being shaved w/ a #7 blade. The second time I stripped her, her coat was probably 3times as thick and had no bald spots after stripping. Stripping a coat is more of a process then clipper grooming. It can sometimes take a while to get the coat into the best condition, especially if it has been a very long time since a strip or has been clippered previously. Customers should be told this from the beginning. http://britmorschnauzers.com/handstrip.html This website outlines in very specific detail how to ready a mini schnauzer for show, but that is if you haven't been rolling the coat. If you are rolling the coat, there is no need for such drastic measures. She pulls her dogs completely down, at intervals, several weeks before a show so that they will be perfect for that show. I never strip them naked like that, again there may be a couple of balder spots (the size of a finger tip) if the hair is very thin, but there are never large bald areas.
                      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                      -Michelangelo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Thru the Viewfinder View Post
                        I've heard of the pumice stone, that its a good idea to start with it. Do you have to have the stripping powder? Is the ear powder bad for the other areas of their coat? Starting with heads only as practice sounds like a good game plan.
                        I use the ear powder, it contains an ingredient (tylosin?) to help you grip the hair, so it is perfect for stripping. I don't really know how the ear powder would be bad for other areas of the coat, I suppose if the owner was not diligent about the grooming, it might make the fur matt a bit sooner. When I strip, I have always bathed afterward, so it is gone when I am done. If I ever got a client that didn't want the bath after I'd blow the excess powder out w/ the hv dryer, the spritz w/ water or conditioning spray to add a little shine. Other groomers recommend witch hazel, I use this between baths on my dane, keeps her less greasy and shinier, but being corp I am limited w/ to their approved products at work.
                        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                        -Michelangelo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thru the Viewfinder View Post
                          First of all what a stinking adorable pup!

                          I work at a petsomething too and no one there handstrips. I asked about it and I was told we don't have a way of charging for it in the computer program we use. But then I was told another groomer who used to work in the salon DID handstrip two request dogs. And that when she left she specifically made sure the owners wouldn't be able to contact her because she HATED doing it with a passion because it took so long she lost money.

                          I want to learn at least the basics of handstripping but my coworkers have sort of scared me away from bothering at this time.

                          So Dane... What are your thoughts? Have you ever been told you can't handstrip? I also heard a rumor that stripping knives weren't a "salon approved" tool so we're aren't even suppose to have them.



                          (Posting with my so-called smartphone using the Tapatalk app.)
                          i dont think we really have restrictions on tools, just products, like gel.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My salon manager told me I was not allowed to handstrip. That is was against policy. Yeah...I ignored her and did it anyway. I just scheduled my stripped dogs on days that she wasn't there. None of the groomers who were under my managers knew what stripping even looked like, so I just them I was deshedding the dogs.

                            I just charged the premium price because I kept my stripped dogs on a strict 4 week schedule and none of them got stripped bare but were rolled. It didn't take me any longer than a clippered cut on the same breed so the price was fair.


                            ---
                            I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.536042,-81.184539

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X