Stripping out schanuzer legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping out schanuzer legs?

As I understand you are not supposed to strip a schnauzers legs, it is supposed to be the harsh wire coat over the soft full furninshings. I have one (fairly new) handstrip client that has asked for her schnauzer legs stripped. Her dog used to be completely black, years of clipping turned it gunmetal gray. Of course the stripping has turned her jacket back to black, but the furnishings are still the gray color. For some reason this woman is a little obsessed about her once black schnauzer being black all over again. I have told her that typically a schnauzers legs are not stripped. Last time the dog came in though, she had been chewing a little on the side of one foot and the new growth hair where she pulled it out was coal black. I have seen hyperpigmentation due to trauma, but there was no trauma to the skin in that area. Would you even attempt this? Have you done this? What do you think it would do to the texture of the coat?
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

how about a temp dye..would last about 6 weeks..or so. Mostly you would make the leg hair coarse like the body hair, it would take awhile for it to soften up, of course it would depend on how the furnishings look now. You still would have grey undercoat...unless you continue to strip but they are not like other long legged coarse coated terriers hair.

Comment

I work corporate, so no dyeing, unless they do it at home.
      -Michelangelo

Comment

Buehler? Buehler? Anyone (else)?
        -Michelangelo

Comment

It sounds like it looks cool being two colors but I guess not. I am just learning how to strip and the nuances of it. I think if you strip them out it will change the texture and turn her into having more of a Scottie texture on her legs but they will be the correct color she is looking for. Maybe you could do some layering using a coat king to card out the softer discolored stuff? That's my guess but again I'm not a snz expert like kat. She would be my best bet.

Comment

First off, does your client understand that to fully strip the furnishings, her dog would have no long hair left on it's legs, if it would even let you do this (which I'm thinking it wouldn't!)? I would probably go the conservative route and pluck several random hairs from each leg on every visit to gradually train the dog tolerance for the procedure and to observe the regrowth.

Comment

I would try the coat king on the furnishings. Do it after a good brush out and go the direction of the coat to reduce cutting.

Comment

I wouldn't strip them out completely all in one sitting. I would roll the leg coat, taking out a thirdish each visit he will look a little ridiculous as it grows in, but it will be less intense for the dog, and he won't have naked legs

Comment

Thanks all! I wouldn't strip them all out in one setting, I didn't do her back that way either. This dog is 7 or 8 and had been clippered her whole life. It was suggested to her by my co-worker that she could try stripping, her dog had pulled out some coat (on the jacket) due to allergies and it grew back in harsh and black, like when the dog was a puppy and she was excited that it could maybe be that way again. I talked to her about the process and and she called me back about 3-4 month later and made an appointment. I had explained that we just pulled the jacket and the legs were left fluffier, but I guess she just forgot everything in that 3 months and was freaked out that I hadn't pulled the legs too. I didn't pull the dog bald, but she was so thin already that by the time I took out about half she was super thin. I showed her a pic of a hand stripped schnauzer the second time she came in (I thought she knew what a schnauzer should look like, but didn't) and she looked disappointed that the legs were a little different even on a salt & pepper. This dog is amazing for the process. The first time she came in she was a little nervous, but the second time she ran right over to me and really enjoyed being up on the table looking at everybody. Even though she had never been stripped b4 she didn't seem like it bothered her, and it seemed like it should have. I think it looks kinda neat personally, I like the black and steel gray combo, but she just really seems hung up on the legs being the same color like when the dog was younger. I did tell them that we should at least get the jacket in good shape before we worry about the legs, so in the mean time I will just keep raking the legs and hope that makes a difference. I don't think she would really care if the legs were a different texture though, they are always chopping on them and making them shorter between grooms, so I think she would probably be happier if they were shorter and more wiry, and of course BLACK!
                  -Michelangelo

Comment

lol. It makes me laugh when they focus on one thing they think makes the dog look weird, but have no problem hacking away. .
                    Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X