Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild4westies
    replied
    I have many stripping knives and all except my Chris Christensen knife had to be dulled. This being said you should NEVER put your knives into Kwik Stop...I am cringing at the thought! Kwik Stop contains Ferrous Sulfate, Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Aluminum Chloride, Copper Sulfate, and Ammonium Chloride, all of which are corrosive and attack metals. The idea is to dull the blade, not eat it up. I agree with the earlier post by Particentral about the brick etc. I also like to use a pumice stone to dull mine, which should be in your box if you hand strip anyway.

Leave a comment:

• gr8danlvr1
    replied
    Originally posted by groomerde View Post
    And I've never heard of carding? Can someone please explain?
    See the post directly above yours People who are against stripping pretty much don't understand it.

Leave a comment:

• NeveahsMommy
    replied
    Thank you, guys! I fully grasp it now

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    Why would anyone be against stripping? Explain that to me, please

Leave a comment:

• groomerde
    replied
    Ok I'm new to grooming been doing it for 6 or so months, my boss taught me & I love it! However she is against striping.. And I've never heard of carding? Can someone please explain?

Leave a comment:

• gr8danlvr1
    replied
    Carding removes the undercoat (and loose bits of outer coat). Stripping removes the harsh outer coat (and a bit of undercoat too). Removing excess undercoat will make way for fuller healthier growth, but to truly reach the best potential you must do both. I will card both before and after the strip. So, you are helping w/ just the carding, but it would be much more effective if you did both. Carding is basically undercoat removal. This process when done often will help the coat quality of any shedding dog (goldens, collies, spaniels, wire haired breeds, etc) and I've even used it on some yorkies and shihs w/ some success. If a customer does not want stripping, I will still card because it still helps coat quality to a degree.

Leave a comment:

• NeveahsMommy
    replied
    So I'm not taking out the undercoat then? The terriers won't get their nicer, harsher coats if I continue doing this alone?

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    Originally posted by NeveahsMommy View Post
    No, I drag it through the coat flat. So that the side of the knife is flat against the coat. I just copy the way Jodi Murphy does it in her DVDs.
    That is carding. A sharp knife will curl the hair an damage the cuticle. For stripping you are actually pulling out hair by the roots and use the knife as an extension o your .

Leave a comment:

• NeveahsMommy
    replied
    Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
    are you raking it over the coat the way you use the furminator?
    No, I drag it through the coat flat. So that the side of the knife is flat against the coat. I just copy the way Jodi Murphy does it in her DVDs.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    A knife that is too sharp WILL damage coat even when carding. It pulls the outer cuticle of the hair and makes it frizzy and frayed looking. JFYI

Leave a comment:

• Dayzeemay
    replied
    Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
    are you raking it over the coat the way you use the furminator? If so this is called carding a too sharp knife is a little less important when used in this way. In fact this method will help to dull the blade a bit more. I don't use my stripping knife for that. The way I was talking of using it was to pinch the hair between my and the blade and physically pluck the hair out of the skin, this is stripping. When the knife is too sharp it will cut the hair where you hold it against the blade instead of allowing you to pluck the whole length of hair out. Hope that helps.
    Ah! Makes sense to me. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gr8danlvr1
    replied
    are you raking it over the coat the way you use the furminator? If so this is called carding a too sharp knife is a little less important when used in this way. In fact this method will help to dull the blade a bit more. I don't use my stripping knife for that. The way I was talking of using it was to pinch the hair between my and the blade and physically pluck the hair out of the skin, this is stripping. When the knife is too sharp it will cut the hair where you hold it against the blade instead of allowing you to pluck the whole length of hair out. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• NeveahsMommy
    replied
    Oh, okay. It does feel different, but I don't know if that's because the furminator and stripping knife are used differently. I'm used to the furminator, which you use almost perpendicular the blade to the hair. The stripping knife I use flat, so maybe that is why it feels different? Idk!! Does it matter how dull you make the blade? As in, if I am already using it correctly and not cutting the hair rather than plucking it out, will it still work well if I dull it in qwick stop? Which brings me to yet another question - If they dull out, do you have to replace them?

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    You an tell cut hair by looking at it. If its layered and breaking where the knife sits its cutting or breaking hair. Otherwise its fine. Dont fix what aint broke!

Leave a comment:

• gr8danlvr1
    replied
    Originally posted by NeveahsMommy View Post
    Shoot! I just bought one at the tradeshow, and have been using it without dulling it thinking I'm doing wonders for their coat. Oops! Will put in a bag with qwick stop tomorrow!
    You will know if you are doing it correctly by looking at the base of the hair you are plucking. If you see the bulb (I don't really know what the term for this is) at the base of the hair, then you HAVE been doing wonders for their coat. Once you have been doing it for a while you will just know the feel of it. Cutting the hair has a different feel from plucking the hair. Just because your knife is new, doesn't mean you have been doing it wrong or that your knife is too sharp-some are and some aren't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X