HELP New stripping knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeveahsMommy View Post
    No, I drag it through the coat flat. So that the side of the knife is flat against the coat. I just copy the way Jodi Murphy does it in her DVDs.
    That is carding. A sharp knife will curl the hair an damage the cuticle. For stripping you are actually pulling out hair by the roots and use the knife as an extension o your .
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

So I'm not taking out the undercoat then? The terriers won't get their nicer, harsher coats if I continue doing this alone?
      amanda
      ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

Carding removes the undercoat (and loose bits of outer coat). Stripping removes the harsh outer coat (and a bit of undercoat too). Removing excess undercoat will make way for fuller healthier growth, but to truly reach the best potential you must do both. I will card both before and after the strip. So, you are helping w/ just the carding, but it would be much more effective if you did both. Carding is basically undercoat removal. This process when done often will help the coat quality of any shedding dog (goldens, collies, spaniels, wire haired breeds, etc) and I've even used it on some yorkies and shihs w/ some success. If a customer does not want stripping, I will still card because it still helps coat quality to a degree.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

Ok I'm new to grooming been doing it for 6 or so months, my boss taught me & I love it! However she is against striping.. And I've never heard of carding? Can someone please explain?

Comment

Why would anyone be against stripping? Explain that to me, please
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you, guys! I fully grasp it now
              amanda
              ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

Originally posted by groomerde View Post
                And I've never heard of carding? Can someone please explain?
                See the post directly above yours People who are against stripping pretty much don't understand it.
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

I have many stripping knives and all except my Chris Christensen knife had to be dulled. This being said you should NEVER put your knives into Kwik Stop...I am cringing at the thought! Kwik Stop contains Ferrous Sulfate, Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Aluminum Chloride, Copper Sulfate, and Ammonium Chloride, all of which are corrosive and attack metals. The idea is to dull the blade, not eat it up. I agree with the earlier post by Particentral about the brick etc. I also like to use a pumice stone to dull mine, which should be in your box if you hand strip anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X