How much is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

I have a Mini WH Doxie that comes in every....3ish months. Her owners specifically requested that I strip her, and they do understand the process and the hair growth patterns, they just don't like bringing her in every 4 weeks to be stripped on a regular basis, and they travel a lot. Well, Maggie came in today with pretty blown coat. She has pretty thin hair as it is, and since she is a pet, I don't want to bald out the poor dog every time she comes in. She sits alright for most of the stripping except her chest and head, which I don't strip very intensely because they are sensitive to her and she has very fine hair there anyway. I charge them a B&B and 25mins of stripping which equals about a cocker price, which they are fine with. My question is this:

On a pet that gets hand stripping, where the owners do not bring her in for a proper rotation, should I bald out the dog every time she comes in, or do as I have been and strip enough to shape her and give a definite improvement, but still leave her with some hair?

I would ask the owner. Explain the benefits of a full strip, and warn them the dog will look fairly bald for awhile. They'll let you know if they'd prefer the fuzzier version.

Comment

Plaidjag is right - talk to the owners.

We have one wirehaired mutt - and it IS a mutt - that comes in once in a while and gets stripped down to his union suit. I mean bar as naked.

The owners don't want to bring him in every few weeks and are fine with the bar as naked look so that's what he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
        I would ask the owner. Explain the benefits of a full strip, and warn them the dog will look fairly bald for awhile. They'll let you know if they'd prefer the fuzzier version.
        Yes, this. Simply explain that being on such a long schedule is not leaving her any layers underneath and to truly do a thorough job you would have to bald her down every time. They may just prefer the not so thorough but fluffier version, they might be ok w/ a bald dog or they might just start scheduling it at 2 months instead of 3.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

I've talked to them, and they don't want her balded out, but can't bring her on a more set schedule, as they are out of town a lot and have a ton of other things they need to take care of. I guess I wasn't clear on my question... For those of you who do hand stripping on a regular basis, would you bald out the dog, or leave enough hair to make the (PET) dog look presentable, if the owners are kind of middle of the road and don't really care. What is in the dog's best interest, IMO is to leave some coat so as not to traumatize her, and not give the owners back a bald dog when that's not what they asked for in the first place. I guess, in simpler terms, is it acceptable to leave coat on a dog if I could have plucked it all out?

Comment

I have rules

I make it a rule if you want to me to strip the dog it has to come in every 4 weeks. If they dont it will be bald. That just my way. To be honest if they go that long in between It probably almost comes out in clumps.

Comment

I don't really like handing back a bald, pink dog (or even partially bald). It might not be as thorough a strip as it could be, the hair might not be as nice as it could be, but you aren't working w/ a show dog. If the owners can't get on a better schedule then they end up w/ a result that is ok, but could be better. In this situation, I'd rake out as much as possible, strip out as much as I can and still leave a bit of fluff, then I'd run a guard comb over the rest just to neaten it up a bit. Doesn't have to be a short guard comb, just one that will make it lay a bit nicer. Again, this isn't ideal, but you can only work w/i the constraints given to you.
              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
              -Michelangelo

Comment

If I have a committed owner who will rotate the coat on a regular basis then I will strip the dog naked, but if it is a blown coat that comes in every few months or so, then I will strip a pattern and do the best I can without balding them.

Comment

The rule at our shop

Is to come every 4-5 weeks, or the dog will start being clipped. No ifs ands or buts.

Comment

Working...
                  X