Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItzaClip!
    replied
    Thanks, I finally ordered a stripping video(haha) so hopefully it can teach me more until I get a chance to get one on one lessons.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• sassy14830
    replied
    I agree a good pumice stone is a nice starter until you perfect your technique. Great job. I love doing mix strips

Leave a comment:

• gr8danlvr1
    replied
    It looks like the whole hair is coming out, that is the goal. For the most part you really only need to worry about cutting instead of plucking when you are using a stripping knife. Stripping stones and/or fingers lack the sharper edge that would be cutting the hair. I also agree w/ the border terrier mix, the ears are huge though, very cute!

Leave a comment:

• ItzaClip!
    replied
    Another mixed rescue. Looks borderx to me. She took 3 grooms to be able to comb, brush, and do nails with out a huge flip out. I pulled a little hair each time as she was more tolerant to that then a clipper. I finished with thinning shears every where that was an issue. I hope to be able to do more each time. The last shot is a close up of what comes out(very easily) so I can get feedback on if I am doing it right.

Leave a comment:

• fireislandmuffin
    replied
    It looks like you have the right idea and when you do it again you'll do more where you left more. You should see if he'll come back soon and you can do more for just an hour. I have a dvd too. I don't know where it is at the moment but I think it's from Melissa Verplank.

Leave a comment:

• Lavarocks
    replied
    I have the Zecco/Scruggs stripping DVD and it helped me so much.

Leave a comment:

• AuntieBeth
    replied
    Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
    That means doing it in layers right? And I was planning on buying Jodi Murphy stripping dvd, does it teach this?
    Having never seen those videos I can't say what they teach but the object is to take some leave some and each time what you left last time is what you will pull next time so there is an overall look of fullness and pattern.

Leave a comment:

• BernieD
    replied
    I think he looks great! Awesome job

Leave a comment:

• ItzaClip!
    replied
    Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
    a hand stripped dog is NOT going to be perfect. Nor should it be unless it is a show dog. Most clients do not want the look of a show dog anyway. I know it is hard for a lot of pet groomers to get the relaxed look of pet stripping- especially as it grows in but really- that's what the owners love about it.
    Machine cutting is so exact that it is a completely different look.
    I think that little cairn mix looks perfect for what you did but wait till you see it in 4 weeks- the jacket will be harder and shinier. The look will be softer and and less manicured and bet you dimes to donuts the owner will want you to keep like that. Then you have to learn how to roll it...
    That means doing it in layers right? And I was planning on buying Jodi Murphy stripping dvd, does it teach this?

Leave a comment:

• AuntieBeth
    replied
    heres the thing

a hand stripped dog is NOT going to be perfect. Nor should it be unless it is a show dog. Most clients do not want the look of a show dog anyway. I know it is hard for a lot of pet groomers to get the relaxed look of pet stripping- especially as it grows in but really- that's what the owners love about it.
    Machine cutting is so exact that it is a completely different look.
    I think that little cairn mix looks perfect for what you did but wait till you see it in 4 weeks- the jacket will be harder and shinier. The look will be softer and and less manicured and bet you dimes to donuts the owner will want you to keep like that. Then you have to learn how to roll it...

Leave a comment:

• ItzaClip!
    replied
    Originally posted by woofus View Post
    I think he looks good, considering he's basically a mutt and has no actual form to follow. A Scottchi?? Who comes up with these names and mixes? He kind of looks like a weird Cairn...

I'd say with stripping, especially on a young dog, he looks good. Sometimes I find it hard to work on certain parts of puppies like the chest and face. They just don't like it. Looks like you did a nice job though, and if the owner liked it, you're golden
    When he first called I actually thought he meant scotch collie. Then he said Chihuahua size mix, then said he was 20lbs. He also said leave his brows and beard,I didn't know what to expect. I didn't pull hair on his face ears or head,I used thinning shears. I really wanted him to enjoy his groom. He was so happy with the stripping just stood they're, his hair came out so easy.

Leave a comment:

• woofus
    replied
    I think he looks good, considering he's basically a mutt and has no actual form to follow. A Scottchi?? Who comes up with these names and mixes? He kind of looks like a weird Cairn...

I'd say with stripping, especially on a young dog, he looks good. Sometimes I find it hard to work on certain parts of puppies like the chest and face. They just don't like it. Looks like you did a nice job though, and if the owner liked it, you're golden

Leave a comment:

• Robin613
    replied
    I think he looks great, I have never tried it myself.

Leave a comment:

• GentleHands
    replied
    Sorry I meant to say I have no experience hand stripping

Leave a comment:

• ItzaClip!
    replied
    I feel its not even, and should be shorter. The Pic isn't probably good enough to see if I damaged the hair or anything right? I just really want to improve and do this right. I would love to get faster at it to help my wiry breeds stay wiry. No critique? I can handle it honest!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X