My first time hand stripping entire dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first time hand stripping entire dog

So I fit in a dog today. Scottchi is what he called it, scottie Chihuahua mix. He wanted the longer hair short, dog is 9 months old. Been to 1 groomer that shaved him all over. His hair was wiry and 2-3"on his tuff and topline. His legs barely grow. I convinced him to let me strip out instead of shave as his coat is wonderful wiry texture. He was shy, but a nice boy. I washed him first, and then started playing with his hair, seeing how much he would let me do. He was wonderful, better than expected, was terrified of the clipper being 4 feet away from him, so I scrapped my idea of a combo strip/ clip, and used my dull classic strip knife and my wrapped in vet wrap, I tried to be methodical and not jump around. I tidyed with thinning shears. I didn't have as much time since he was a fit in(he knew that) so my goal is to do more and better next time.
    I should have stripped dirty, and I will next time. I checked to make sure I was getting root and not just cutting.
    I don't think its very good, but am very excited to have a dog tolerant of it.
    Any suggestions would be wonderful. I am going to buy Jodi Murphy stripping dvd.
    Before

After

That looks real good!!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.993034,-115.135503

Comment

I think he looks great . I have experience with hand stripping so I cannot offer advice.

Comment

Fantastic!!!!

Looks wonderful!! Bet owner was THRILLED!!!!

Comment

I feel its not even, and should be shorter. The Pic isn't probably good enough to see if I damaged the hair or anything right? I just really want to improve and do this right. I would love to get faster at it to help my wiry breeds stay wiry. No critique? I can handle it honest!

Comment

Sorry I meant to say I have no experience hand stripping

Comment

I think he looks great, I have never tried it myself.

Comment

I think he looks good, considering he's basically a mutt and has no actual form to follow. A Scottchi?? Who comes up with these names and mixes? He kind of looks like a weird Cairn...

I'd say with stripping, especially on a young dog, he looks good. Sometimes I find it hard to work on certain parts of puppies like the chest and face. They just don't like it. Looks like you did a nice job though, and if the owner liked it, you're golden

Comment

Originally posted by woofus View Post
                  I think he looks good, considering he's basically a mutt and has no actual form to follow. A Scottchi?? Who comes up with these names and mixes? He kind of looks like a weird Cairn...

I'd say with stripping, especially on a young dog, he looks good. Sometimes I find it hard to work on certain parts of puppies like the chest and face. They just don't like it. Looks like you did a nice job though, and if the owner liked it, you're golden
                  When he first called I actually thought he meant scotch collie. Then he said Chihuahua size mix, then said he was 20lbs. He also said leave his brows and beard,I didn't know what to expect. I didn't pull hair on his face ears or head,I used thinning shears. I really wanted him to enjoy his groom. He was so happy with the stripping just stood they're, his hair came out so easy.

Comment

heres the thing

a hand stripped dog is NOT going to be perfect. Nor should it be unless it is a show dog. Most clients do not want the look of a show dog anyway. I know it is hard for a lot of pet groomers to get the relaxed look of pet stripping- especially as it grows in but really- that's what the owners love about it.
                    Machine cutting is so exact that it is a completely different look.
                    I think that little cairn mix looks perfect for what you did but wait till you see it in 4 weeks- the jacket will be harder and shinier. The look will be softer and and less manicured and bet you dimes to donuts the owner will want you to keep like that. Then you have to learn how to roll it...

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
                      a hand stripped dog is NOT going to be perfect. Nor should it be unless it is a show dog. Most clients do not want the look of a show dog anyway. I know it is hard for a lot of pet groomers to get the relaxed look of pet stripping- especially as it grows in but really- that's what the owners love about it.
                      Machine cutting is so exact that it is a completely different look.
                      I think that little cairn mix looks perfect for what you did but wait till you see it in 4 weeks- the jacket will be harder and shinier. The look will be softer and and less manicured and bet you dimes to donuts the owner will want you to keep like that. Then you have to learn how to roll it...
                      That means doing it in layers right? And I was planning on buying Jodi Murphy stripping dvd, does it teach this?

Comment

I think he looks great! Awesome job

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                          That means doing it in layers right? And I was planning on buying Jodi Murphy stripping dvd, does it teach this?
                          Having never seen those videos I can't say what they teach but the object is to take some leave some and each time what you left last time is what you will pull next time so there is an overall look of fullness and pattern.

Comment

I have the Zecco/Scruggs stripping DVD and it helped me so much.

Comment

It looks like you have the right idea and when you do it again you'll do more where you left more. You should see if he'll come back soon and you can do more for just an hour. I have a dvd too. I don't know where it is at the moment but I think it's from Melissa Verplank.

Comment

Working...
                              X