Brussels Grif ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussels Grif ears

This is the second time I have seen this. Unfortunately.
    Cropping ears has really kinda disappeared in BG's but I still get the occasional one. For those of you that don't know this about the process, a template is used in order to get that crooked point. It's really easy to pluck the hair on the outside of the ear and shave the inside with a #30 or 40.
    However if you are whacking away and don't pay attention or don't know what you are doing you risk losing the end of the ear.
    Twice this year, I have taken over grooming this breed where the person who said they knew what they were doing, left the hair on the ear and when trimming the edge, went straight up the out side and took the whole end of the ear right off. Pretty nasty - not to mention making the dog look pretty goofy. Now I have to fake the ears by leaving the hair long enough to create a fake crook on the end.
    What I don't get is how they could not feel the resistance in the blade. You gotta be flying way too fast not to be able to lighten up the pressure when you cut like that.
    Speed is one thing that needs to be tempered with sensitivity...

Heck, we have a Golden that comes in with part of its tail gone because her previous groomer chopped it off while trimming the tail...

Comment

Poor little mites with their lopsided ears. That's got to hurt! I like to pluck ears by hand anyway when I can, it leaves such a beautiful finish.

Comment

we have a maltese mix that comes in and she has alot of peices of of her tongue missing..
        We counted 10 missing chunks!
        We are the only groomer that has not cut her tongue..Seriously how can people do that 10 times??

Anyways that is really sad..Poor dogs!

Comment

10 times!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=BoscoandKoda;412548]we have a maltese mix that comes in and she has alot of peices of of her tongue missing..
          We counted 10 missing chunks!
          We are the only groomer that has not cut her tongue..Seriously how can people do that 10 times??

that is beyond explicable!

Comment

I groomed a Westie for 10 years, starting when he was 3. I was a little quick to judge, based on all the missing chunks and slits in his tongue, and the fact that he was really, really, hyper.
            Turns out he stuck his tongue in the rear derail-er on Mom's exercise bike while she was on it, w/ headphones and the TV on.
            Poor woman got so teary eyed when I inquired......

One more good reason not to exercise if you ask me.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I had a client drop off two little dogs - a Maltese and a Yorkie - both getting cut down short. While working on the Maltese's head I noticed she had a sizable split in her tongue - put me in mind of the Nightingale story - I asked about it at pick-up and the owner confessed she'd done it herself when she tried to groom the dog at home. It put her off home grooming, that's for sure.

Comment

I agree, great post, too. I see some dogs from time to time with ear knicks and it makes me wince everytime..youch!
                Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Poor Griffy

My little Griffy, natural ears thank you got into a fight w/my cat and got his eye scratched pretty bad, think of us while I get up every two hours to put his eye medicine in, his eye already looks a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                  X