Handstripping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handstripping question

Im grooming 2 wech terriers and I was looking at some pics to get a better idea of some varriation anyhow I came acress this video and have to think this is wrong.Ive never stripped a dog but I dont see this looking quite right.,am I wrong ? is this how its done? if so Im not interested.i thought you were only supposed to pull the loose hair out not all of it.someone please le tme know.this is buggin me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDcHfm0YBw

OMG...very disturbing video, seems that man has some issues.

I'm no hand stripping expert, but from what I've learned....I never learned THAT method....and If I did, I SURE wouldn't do it that way.

Comment

Wow, check out his twisty-wrist. I am surprised he isn't cutting hairs. Must be using a very, very dull knife?

Comment

I can't really blame "lucy" for not liking it. Her whole body moves with every pull.

Comment

Looks painful

to me. I couldn't even watch all of that.

Comment

rofl!

How many of the grooming video's on Youtube showing what's being portrayed as proper grooming is done by people SITTING ON THE FLOOR!!!! It really bothers me that people that don't know any better would think these types of video's are the correct way to do it.

Comment

I think I know this guy. I haven't seen him in years, but if it's the same person I'm thinking about. He had a couple of Scotties many years ago and never could finish them.

Started a shop and it went belly up and then worked for a local Petsoemthing.

Comment

It is why people think handstriping is cruel. It is totally wrong but it is how many people who do not know any better handstrip.

Comment

http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/1...t-terrier.html

Check out BBirds blog. She's fabulous. I'll tell ya, what a tolerant dog this idiot has!

Comment

So, this IS wrong-
                    so,you do just pull out whats loose? n ot all of it ?

Comment

I've seen this video before and it did make me cringe. If the coat is totally blown all the guards can come out, leaving the undercoat behind. This looks like he's pulling all the guard hairs and undercoat. Leaving her bald.

His technique is WHACK. He is rolling his wrists, the wrists should be stationary, straight.
                      That Tenacious Terrier!
                      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                        So, this IS wrong-
                        so,you do just pull out whats loose? n ot all of it ?
                        If the hair doesn't pull easily, it's not ready to come out. Dead, blown hair can be pulled out very easily and the dog doesn't even notice.

I don't like doing full, complete strips (twice a year kinda thing). I like to work dogs far more often than that.
                        That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Don't flame me, because I am not an expert. I don't think this technique (taking her to the skin) is that uncommon. I've talked with a handful of terrier breeders and it sounds like that is what a lot of them do. They will figure out how long it takes for a coat to grow out and that amount of time before a show they will completely strip the dog. By the show its a perfect length. I've asked about "rolling" a coat (working on it a little bit on a set interval) and none of the ones I talked to do it that way.

Someone email Scott or Sarah and get their input.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Taking the dog down to nothing is not uncommon in show world if the dog is out of coat but it doesn't mean that he is doing it right! The proper technique is what maters.
                            There is no need to take down pet dog like this and there is no need to rip out chunks of hair like he does. Besides when you do it and pull hair out like he does, it grows sticking out not laying flat to the body. He is litterally ripping hair out of that poor dog. If he took time to card out undercoat and dead hair, stripping process would have been much easier on both him and the dog. I have seem show handlers pull dogs down but it was done very carefully and with regard to coat growth direction.

Comment

Breeders may take dogs down to nothing but I don't see any reason to do it to a pet dog. Not that anyone is disagreeing with that.

Obviously the dog in this video isn't a show dog.
                              That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Working...
                              X