How would you handle this client...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you handle this client...

Calls in after hearing about the handstripping i do. ( Pet style carding MOSTLY with only light plucking)
    The cairn is super greasy and I am using alot of powder but still only a small bunch is coming off at a time. She stayed for the groom ( my mistake) and was constantly comparing me to the "other" groomer that was doing it before. So the dog after about 45 minutes crawled up to "mom" with the save me face. I asked how long it had been since a groom and it has been 6 months since the a bath and a year since stripping.

My issue is that she claimed I was distressing the dog, "she is never this upset", again the dog didnt make a noise only crawled up to the owner while on the table.

Secondly after all the videos I have watched and read about handstripping I belive it should be done a little more consistantly.

She left making me feel like and idiot. She left with only the dogs back done and paid only $30

Any advice only handling there types of clients.

Don't let them stay and watch and if you are going to let them stay and watch they have to be told not to baby talk the dog or pick it up like a baby.

As long as you are not hurting the dog and it is not screaming in pain people need to get a clue.

Comment

Did you get to wash it? If the dog only gets stripped once a year, the coat should have been soooo blown. I'm thinking that the grease is what made it difficult to strip. I would have insisted on washing it before stripping and I think that with just some powder on my fingers, it should have come out.

Now for the customer, she obviously doesn't understand stripping and I would suggest that the dog be clipped and then carded. I won't work on a strip dog that doesn't come in at least 4-5 weeks.

Comment

Jeez...what a frustrating experience. I'm sorry.
        I don't let clients stay.
        They can leave a video cam, hide a double-secret bug, pay my assistant for "the inside scoop", I don't care...but they can NOT stay because they are a distraction and they do NOT know how to behave. It's dangerous and throws everything out of whack.
        For the dogs there is hope...for the clients..not so much.
        Heck...I'm a royal PITA when I take MY pets to the vet. I make myself leave the room...I'm that irritating, but at least I know it.
        That's just my take on clients staying.

Handstripping and the confidence that goes with being able to accomplish it.... is a whole 'nuther chapter...but do everything you can to brush up/continue to educate yourself on that skill. Attend seminars, go to dog shows and watch them touch up the dogs in the grooming areas, contact a local fancier that is involved. It is truly an art and takes a while to get the hang of it. You really can't get the entire "grasp" of it by viewing videos and reading books.
        Do NOT give up.
        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

How would I treat her? I would chase her out into the street waving my scissors wildly while screaming, "Pay me the rest of my fee, Loser!"
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
          X