Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The more research I do the more confused I get!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more research I do the more confused I get!

I've been reading grooming books from the library until I can get my hands on Notes From the Grooming Table & more trade DVD's. My school was one of the cheaper ones and she really didn't cover how to treat different coats. I've read about Hand-Stripping, it's in most of my library books and they seem even more in-depth than my school book was (which didn't mention hand-stripping at all). This is strongly recommended for any wire-haired breeds, or else their hair stands up when it's supposed to lay flat. I've seen before and after pictures, and wow, are they ever amazing. Such a huge difference-the dogs go from scruffy to polished looking.

Is this something I can start doing? I mean, I've plucked the extra-long hairs from my dogs a bit (the odd one just to try it) and they didn't seem to mind at all. Or should I just wait til I get an apprenticeship? I wouldn't jump in to something like that (time-consuming, expensive for the customers, & potentially harmful for dogs' skin) until I get some advice from you all so any advise would be welcome. I just want to do what's going to be good for my dogs.

Also, I've read that since coats are in worse shape due to shaving instead of hand-stripping, the best thing to do is dry-shampoo them, then use a spray-in conditioner with a brush. Is this a good alternative to hand-plucking?
    Last edited by my.cats.name.is.psycho; 04-05-10, 09:34 PM. Reason: more to add on

One book is "Grooming the Broken Haired Terrier" which you can get through White Dog Enterprises. Also, there is a really good video out there on the web showing a woman hand stripping a Westie. But the best thing you can do is attend a class with either Sarah Hawks or Lisa Leady. I went to a NDGGA workshop in Richmond recently and Sarah gave an excellent demonstration on hand stripping. Hope that helps.

Comment

that's a good idea

I could definitely check into something like that. So you're recommending getting training before doing them. I could even find a groomer who's willing to give me an hour of her time showing me how (I'd pay her of course) if there's nothing like that coming up. I live in a bigger city in Canada and there's not alot going on here for dogs.

Comment

Having someone to watch really helps, I think. Barkleigh.com has a dvd on handstripping and so does jodimurphy.net. I haven't seen either of them so can't say which is better, but perhaps someone else on the board has and give more info on them. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Max'sMom View Post
          Having someone to watch really helps, I think. Barkleigh.com has a dvd on handstripping and so does jodimurphy.net. I haven't seen either of them so can't say which is better, but perhaps someone else on the board has and give more info on them. Good luck!
          I just ordered Jodi's dvd I'll let you know how it is. I will be ordering the Barkleigh next.

I love all of Jodi's other dvd's

Comment

There is hand stripping and there is Hand Stripping. I got my first Cairn Terrier when I was 19 and I just became a groomer 3 years ago (I'm 40 so there is an 18 year gap). I am still trying to learn how to properly "roll" and strip the coat according to breed standard. But I've been plucking at their coats for years now. In it's simplest terms you are plucking out the dead hairs and you don't need any training to do that. I have a handful of mixed breeds that I only handstrip. They don't take me any longer to groom than if I was to take a clipper to them. So I charge the same amount.

I also pluck the frizzies of a lot of dogs, not just hard coated dogs. Even the dogs that I clipper I will "card" to try to get out the dead hair.

We have so many real experts on terriers and hand stripping on this site (i.e. Epilady/Sarah Hawks, Mr Terrier/Scott Wasserman, etc) and I am NOT an expert, but I think if you find a dog with the right hair to start practicing even if you are going to clip the dog after.

As for the dry shampoo. If you are being paid to groom a dog I would NEVER use a dry shampoo. I don't think that it will correct the damage that clipping the hair does and it won't get the dog as clean. There are many good shampoos that are specifically formulated for harsh coats. I even condition my dogs because there are many really really good conditioners that don't soften the hair.
            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
            X