• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canopener Sally
    Miniature Member
    • Dec 2008

Disagreeing with a Client

I have a client that just plainly seems to be a purist when it comes to hand stripping their dogs. They don't want anything clipped, no thinning shears, all plucking. My problem is, the dogs hate certain areas being stripped. I know it hurts around the tail, bum, belly. I've told them and told them, I will compromise if the dog is uncomfortable with it. Our first phone conversation, I went over my philosophy- I work with pet dogs, not show dogs, I "cheat" when necessary for the dog's comfort. Meaning, I will do some clipper work in sensitive areas. I will use thinning shears to shape up sensitive areas.

I'm really frustrated with this situation. The client saw me using thinning shears on an underline and seemed irritated. Saying they'd prefer me not do that. Keep in mine I'd already pulled that area but stopped because the dog was obviously sensitive and it was going to hurt. I'm starting to think someone else can best serve them. I tend to feel like I'm not doing a good job every time I leave the appointment.

I do feel I'm doing the right thing but feel beat down. How would you handle it?
    Last edited by Canopener Sally; 03-20-10, 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
    That Tenacious Terrier!
    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier
  • SwissNChow
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Jan 2007

Either groom the dogs in the method they desire, or let them go elsewhere if they do not like your services. If you are not comfortable with handstripping the way they want you to do it, then you should refuse.

Dogs can be conditioned with hand stripping so that they do get used to it, even in the sensitive areas, but this requires a little bit of work every day, not a strip them down every so many weeks schedule. I don't hand strip for the simple reason no client really wants to spend the money or bring the dog in often enough to really keep the dog groomed appropriately with hand stripping.

I'm suspicious they are bringing the dogs only every so often to be stripped out, and yes, that indeed hurts! Having a friend with Cairns and having witnessed her show grooming, the dogs were worked on at least every other day for just a little bit of work to keep their coats exactly where they should be for the ring. If the coat isn't ready, it isn't stripped. And if she misses a few days, she feels WAY behind schedule. Admittedly, my friend is a little neurotic about it, but the grooming is indeed impeccable. Every once in a while the dogs were truly stripped down, but most of it was simply maintenance on a very regular basis.

When the coat is actually ready to come out, the pain involved is minimal. If every time they get groomed it hurts, I can imagine the dogs are not only not fans of the process, but probably over react and never really get used to the way it should feel.

Comment

• Bearmtn
      • Jan 2007

You already told them where you stand, and they have the option to go down the road if they desire.

Comment

• HOTW
        Miniature Member
        • Jan 2007

You have told them your professional way of doing it if they want a professional show clip then they need to move on otherwise do not criticize that which they already know. I had a few hand strip clients but got tired of the only 6 months with them now only do one for my own pleasure (an Irish mox) and the owner is happy with my judegment.

Comment

• Canopener Sally
          Miniature Member
          • Dec 2008

SwissNChow, the problem is they want certain areas pulled/shorter when the hair does not want to come out. I know when coat is ready and when it's not. They even pick at the dog while I'm working on it. Why don't they do that in between grooms, I don't know.

FYI, they're every 4-6 weeks.
          That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

• fiveoclockdog
            • Jul 2008

"Kank" As "you know who" always says....
            "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

• Boxerfan
              • Jan 2007

Ask her to start plucking her armpits and bikini lines with tweezers instead of shaving maybe then she'll get the idea that it's uncomfortable. Stick to your guns, do only what you are comfortable with and move on.

Comment

• Smart-n-Pretty
                Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
                "Kank" As "you know who" always says....
                LMBO!!! I LOVE Y'all. I REALLY do.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

• SwissNChow
                  • Jan 2007

It's just my opinion, but a dog on a 4-6 week schedule for hand stripping is never going to look right. There will be areas that just don't want to cooperate. My suggestion, let them go somewhere else or educate them as to why you are going to use tools to achieve the look of the groom they want. If they don't want to listen, and want you to hurt their dog, then fire them!

Comment

• AuntieBeth
                    • Dec 2007

Who told them this and where

do they get the idea that is the only way? I have seen many times, thinning shears and scissors used to finish up even show dogs. I never strip pet butts- purist hell- more like sadists....

Comment

• Canopener Sally
                      Miniature Member
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
                      do they get the idea that is the only way? I have seen many times, thinning shears and scissors used to finish up even show dogs. I never strip pet butts- purist hell- more like sadists....
                      Sadistic, yeah, no kidding. The breeder tells them this stuff. I've told them finish work is done with shears. I guess it goes in one ear and out the other since I'm not the breeder. Despite what I say, they're thinking I'm ruining their dog's coat with my shears.
                      That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

• brownlikewoah
                        • Apr 2007

maybe they should learn to groom their own dog if they want it their way....

Comment

• sheilabgroomer
                          Champion Member & Club 1,000
                          • Jan 2007

Maybe you can do a little research for them in grooming books or on line (this board is a good start....lol) and hardcopy some info for them to read that backs up what you have been trying to tell them.

If that doesn't sway their rather narrow-minded way of thinking just stick to your guns and tell them that you do not get paid to TORTURE and TORMENT dogs!!!! You are the learned, ethical professional. Stick to your beliefs and if they can't accept that then KANK!!!! (did I do that right?????)

Don't hand stripped dog need to be stripped more often thatn 4-6 anyway???????
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

• epilady
                            Toy Member
                            • May 2007

The solution is simple

Leave it rough and don't touch it with shears at all. She said she would prefer if you did not do that, so ok , thats easy. Just leave it and let her deal with it.
                            We need a little Devil guy icon.

Comment

• Canopener Sally
                              Miniature Member
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post

Don't hand stripped dog need to be stripped more often thatn 4-6 anyway???????
                              Ideally, yes. It was every 3 weeks then they went to 4 then 6. Ultimately it's their decision. I do what I can.
                              That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Working...
                              X