Why don't more groomers do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't more groomers do this?

I love hand stripping. Granted, a lot of times I do a combination of hand strip/card/clip for general pet grooms - but the dogs turn out so much better! Even the darn westies where their owners want a #10 or #7 on their back. Hand stripping can actually be so much easier than clipping all of the time and the dogs repel dirt better and look more natural (rather than have that line down their side where the skirt starts!)

Because no one wants to pay for it!
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I would love to learn!

Comment

I think owners get sticker shock after they've gotten behind on their dog's grooming. The groomer has more work to do than if the dog had been maintained and thus the groomer needs to be paid for their time. Once on a regular schedule (4-6 weeks), a hand strip is comparable to or just slightly higher than a regular groom. At least for me. It's up to the groomer to educate. If an owner only gets their dog stripped once or twice a year, $100++ is a bargain.
        That Tenacious Terrier!
        www.thattenaciousterrier.com
        https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Hand issues

Many, MANY groomers get hand/wrist/finger/joint issues, some early on, most later. So they often find that stripping is too hard on these areas that give them problems.

So that is another reason that more groomers don't hand-strip, besides the time/money equation.

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
            Yup. Exactly. Owners don't feel the added expense justifies the outcome. That's why "more groomers don't do this".
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Sally you are right about it beingeasy once on a 4-6 wks schedule. On this schedule I charge about 15% more than a clip. The results are worth it. I do alot of stripping and carding and on mix breeds too.

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
                agreed, no one wants to pay, and I am too slow, which makes the price even higher since we do hourly. Sure do like the look of it though!

Comment

I have a different take on it. Many groomers are never taught HOW to do it and are told it hurts the dogs. SInce they dont know how and it is faster to clipper, and besides, HS HURTS and clipping doesn't, then why WOULD they do it?

AS for hand, wrist and arm injuries, hogwash! The scissoring incorrectly and clippering with heavy, illfitting equipment and brushing with inefficeint brushes does way more damage to our bodies than HS does. There are fewer incidences of carpal tunnel in the European countries where HS is more common. If it is done correctly, with a straight wrist and straight, not twisting motion, there is nothing to damage.

I do it, I am fat and they are well maintained. I do not charge out the nose cause I charge for my time. I can do most dogs in 30-45 minutes. Not much different than a clipper job. I charge MORE because its specialized, but not so much more that it is not affordable.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

For me its lack of requests, clients dont seem to be that interested when I tell them about it. I was taught how to to it and I do card alot of my terriers for my own benefit. but the clients dont want to bother.

Comment

[QUOTE=Particentral;386182]
                      AS for hand, wrist and arm injuries, hogwash! The scissoring incorrectly and clippering with heavy, illfitting equipment and brushing with inefficeint brushes does way more damage to our bodies than HS does. There are fewer incidences of carpal tunnel in the European countries where HS is more common. If it is done correctly, with a straight wrist and straight, not twisting motion, there is nothing to damage.

[QUOTE]

I agree. I never found that handstripping hurt. but hand me a pair of clippers all day and my wrists are throbbing and my fingers are buzzing.
                      I love handstripping. I used to do it on a 4 - 6 week basis. they got an hour, i charged my hourly rate, if they needed more thn that the pay doubled after the first hour. and then they needed to reschedule sooner the next time

Comment

I too have heard the argument that it hurts the dog, but any dogs I HS do not seem to mind at all. Gee, the one I'm getting ready to test with tolerates HS anywhere - butt, eyes, and feet included!

So far, with regularly maintained dogs, I charge about the same as a regular groom - in part because I don't have too many clients interested in it, I like the practice, and think the dogs turn out better. I guess if interest increases I may increase the price just a little since it is a special service. A lot of dogs I HS are only kinda hand stripped. It's my version of a pet groom with some HS, some thinning shear work, some mars tools - but they turn out more natural looking. I always card out the backs on terriers, even the ones where the owner wants a #10 on the back.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I wanted to see some different thoughts about it. Those of you that want to learn - convince a client that comes in with a Westie puppy or the like to let you start that way if it hasn't been clipped before. This is how I've gotten a few of my HS clients. Once they see how nice it looks and if you explain that the rough terrier hair stays clean longer and knots less they are likely to let you give it a go.

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                        I have a different take on it. Many groomers are never taught HOW to do it and are told it hurts the dogs. SInce they dont know how and it is faster to clipper, and besides, HS HURTS and clipping doesn't, then why WOULD they do it?

I do it, I am fat and they are well maintained. I do not charge out the nose cause I charge for my time. I can do most dogs in 30-45 minutes. Not much different than a clipper job. I charge MORE because its specialized, but not so much more that it is not affordable.

Comment

Working...
                        X