what age to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what age to start

A coworker is soon to get a mini schnauzer puppy, it is actually a sister (same parents, different litter) to one I already groom for another coworker. She wants me to get her started on stripping her dog. My question is how young do you start? I know you don't want to go whole hog the first time out. I would work up to doing everything, but do you start @ 8 weeks, or do you wait until the coat is a little more blown? I am excited about starting out a puppy who hasn't been clipped yet! Smooches, the one I have been stripping was clippered a couple of times by mom before I started on her, so it was tough getting the wire back. I stripped her jacket down pretty much bald last time and according to mom she is really growing in harsh wire now, I have her on a 4 week schedule, so don't get to see her for another week. Anyway, when would you start w/ a puppy? I will have to make sure the new owner doesn't let the breeder touch her w/ clippers before we can get to her!
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

well, I'd bump this up except it is already at the top! Any insights?
    -Michelangelo

Comment

I'd try every week or so until it comes out easily. The first couple of coats can be a nightmare to strip. Gets much easier after that. Pup won't complain much if the coat is ready!

Comment

8 weeks is too early

most breeders do clip off the first coat- I haven't found that it does much damage since it is not a real coat. I try to get them in at 5 months just to get my hands on them and lay down the law of the land. Table, loop, mechanical noises.
        Peel off the puppy fuzz and let it grow till it blows then it is less stressful for the big strip. every 4-8 weeks once you are rolling.
        Schnauzers are a tough pull but worth the look - salt and pepper instead washed out gray fluff.
        JMOHO

Comment

I'd never seen a HS schnauzer until I went to a grooming show. Wow! It was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen! This was a standard. I could see how it would be a lot of work but what a difference from getting clipped.
          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

thanks guys. So you go ahead and clip off the puppy coat, then start to strip once it is blown and ready? Do you do a complete shave down or just the pattern? Do you clip @ 8 weeks, or wait a little later? The older sister to this puppy was clipped a couple of times when I started stripping her @ 6 months. She has been an incredibly tough pull, I don't know if the blacks are harder than the salt & pepper, but I could tell it was very sensitive in some areas. I was doing a little @ a time, but last time decided to just go ahead and strip her jacket all the way down. After 4 weeks she now has the most amazing, shiny flat, wiry hair. I have also noticed the wiry hair grows incredibly fast! It has also made her schnauzer bumps basically disappear. I had told mom this might help w/ that and we have been pleasantly surprised to see that it has.
            -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
            X