Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Introducing Handstripping

Hi,
    I work at a shop that offers no handstripping. I've been taught how to do it at school and would love to do it more. My terrier mix I can handstip a little but just enough to make his back hairs lay flat. How would you go about introducing handstripping when it not an established service at the shop?
    Kirsten

I would start with new customers. When a terrier comes in ask if they want it clipped or Stripped and then educate them about the differences. It will likely be a slow start but once you become know I sure you will get more and more.

Comment

Good suggestion to practice on customers. Even clipped dogs, take a little extra time to practice stripping/carding them before you clip. I know it's not the same as really stripping, but it will get you more used to the tools and different hair types.

Comment

I always talk to new clients of Border terriers, Norwiches/Norfolks as if stripping is the way it is done i.e. the 'normal' thing to do and that clipping is the alternative, especially if the owner wants a light trimming/tidy up rather than 'everything off' kind of client.
        You could do a real brief little info leaflet on the benefits of stripping, the difference between clipping and stripping etc. and give it to new and existing clients. You could include photos of your own terrier mix and use this as a 'before and after' etc. My terrier mix is in the shop with me and I use him as a model to help to illustrate the difference as he is stripped and plucked.
        On existing clients you could card and rake (with a knife) and disuss the benefits of doing this in combination with clipping. Try plucking/stripping the tail and saddle area and explain the process to the owner - this is especillay effective on dark saddled dogs or WH foxes with larger dark patches.

Keep practicing on your dog and hopefully you will get some stripping clients soon - best of luck!

Comment

RE: Handstripping

Hi,
          Thanks for all the good feedback from everyone. I talked to my boss about it and unfortunately she doesn't want to add handstripping. My boss says it takes too much time. I will continue to do it on my dog though. I have an Irish Setter I have to do this weekend. Maybe I'll try a little bit on him. He's a good dog and has been in a calendar.
          Kirsten

Comment

Working...
          X