Eng Springer Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eng Springer Quest

Im a newbie and need some advice. My mother doesn't want her 4 yr old english springer spaniel clipped any more. She has always been clipped short by a groomer in her area. Mom thinks the clipping irritates the dog's skin. This little girl does have skin issues caused mostly by allergies.
    Her hair is very thin and I did card w/little undercoat coming out, but she has this spot right on her back about 4 in. long, that sticks straight up. The rest of her body coat is growing beautifully, wrapping her body except this spot and it's driving me crazy. Is this a cowlick? How do I fix this? I don't have much experience and afraid to take to much off w/the thinning scissors creating a hole of punked hair--Ha Ha. I would like to clip a pattern, all w/the lay, but thought I'd ask everyone here before I call Mom. Im dog sitting. Thanks for any suggestions.

You can strip it-- with your fingers or a stripping knife.

I do some springers that I just use a coatking on to help the hair lay and not shed as much, don't take length off because they don't grow much.

Comment

I use a #5 wahl snap on comb, and it looks like it was never clipped! Then card with a 40 blade upside down. I have a springer that had skin issues with another groomer that used a 5 or 7 blade. Her owner was adamant that I not "cut" her. I convinced her after 2 grooms to let me try my technique. Finally the dog looked like a wooly mammoth, and she agreed. Now she looks smooth as silk, and no skin issues. It's a technique that a groom team member showed me. The first grooming looks ok, but the second one looks awesome! Their coat will shine!

Comment

Thanks

Great advice. I'll have to order some more snap on combs. I only have a 1". Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X