Irish terrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish terrier

I got to finally hand strip my first Irish terrier today and I got to take him all the way down to just bareness and light fuzzies. It was such a transformation -you couldn't even tell what breed he was when he came in he looked like Benji. His owner said he was a retired champion. He acted like it he just stood like a statue for the 3 hours of stripping. Then a bath and then another 40 minutes to touch him up. His owner said he will look horrible, but in a few weeks he will look stunning. I sprinkled ear powder on him to help grip the hairs, and his coat was soo long it came right out. I used a few different knives, and my fingers are kind of irritated from the knife rubbing them, I should have used vet wrap. I wish
    I had a before and after pic. I just left a little beard, eyebrows, n legs. Most of the time when I Hand strip the owner doesn't want the dog to have bald spots or even thin spots, so I just strip a little and then skim with a #3 skip, This was much more work but I can't wait to see him next time.

Wow thats great Poodlefluff well done. Would love to see those pics?

You will have to get heim back really regularly now so that you can roll that coat to have him back to his former glory. You were right to leave all the furnishings as these you can lightly touch up as needs be when he comes back for a little more detailing. His coat will come through in lovely rich colour and it will be a dream of a dog to work on and expand your obvious skill at hand stripping. Well done - I love to hear that pet groomers are still getting the opportunity to do this.

Comment

Hand stripping

I have never worked with anyone who did hand stripping before. It sounds like you did a wonderful job. I would love to see the photos that you took of your work!

Comment

That's great, Poodlefluff. My family had Irish Terriers growing up and I learned how to hand strip on them. Such a great breed & that dog will be gorgeous when he comes back!

Comment

I'm hope to own an Irish Terrier some day. I used to groom one (clippered, not stripped) and he was all business and professional about standing there for me. I'm sure you had fun transforming the one you got to do, but I can't imagine working on one for FOUR HOURS! Do you charge by the hour? When's the next appointment?

Comment

Where does one learn to properly hanstrip a coat?

Comment

Here is a picture of an Irish that comes to my shop that I use all time. I never though this would be a breed I would love so much, and I love this dog like she was my own. Her name is Bailey..you know, like Bailey's Irish Cream
              Attached Files

Comment

groomer friend 1

I have an Irish Setter to do on Saturday. Any pointers? Do you recommend handstripping or clipper work? I don't know the condition of the dog because this will be my 1st attempt. I have not done many Irish Setters.

Comment

I had an Irish Terrier puppy in for her first grooming today. 13 weeks old, and cute as can be! I talked to her owner at check-in, and we're going to card/strip her coat; I got her back mostly done today before her "puppyness" kicked in and I had to stop. I put on her card for the receptionist to schedule her for next week to do a little more. It looks like she's going to have a nice coat; the fuzzy stuff came out really easily, and the hard coat is starting to come in on her back/rump.

Comment

Working...
                  X