Handstripping a labradoodle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handstripping a labradoodle.

OK, guys, I'm really not crazy, and this is a really strange question, but I was wondering, so I thought I'd ask. I groomed a labradoodle the other day. (He was a sweetheart by the way). His coat was so course...just like a terrier. When I bathed, HV, and brushed him, he didn't lose much hair. Just out of curiousity I grabbed a hair and it came out extremely easily. I continued to do a few more and it was the same. I don't have any experience in handstripping, but has anyone ever tried to handstrip a dog with a coat like this? Do you think it would have any effect on the coat if it was?
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

I'm not really familiar with these mixes as we do not have them over here. If the coat is harsh it can be plucked - i strip and pluck setters, spaniels and terriers for the show ring. If stripped and rolled properly the coat will retain its natural texture and colour.
    Sometimes coarse Coat Kings work nicely and I have got some good results that I would not necessarily expect. Be aware that they will cut as well as strip but if this dog is already being clipped I can't see that as a problem. You could still hand scissor the legs and face to give a nice and neat appearance.

Comment

I have a doodle that I use the coat king on to pull out the loose hair, and just lightly sciss his feet/leggs and head. He looks really nice like this to. He is the only one of my doodles that has the course terrier like coat. The others have a softer texture and look better w/either a comb or scissor cut.
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I've done a labradoodle by carding with a 30 blade, here are some pics:

Before:
        http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...braDooB4-1.jpg
        After:
        http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...raDoo-Aft1.jpg

(p.s. My computer is giving me problems so I apologize if this comes up 15 times haha)

Comment

Wow...I guess it wasn't such an out of this world question afterall. Thanks guys!
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I would try a stripping knife...

Great pictures, Maggy.

Comment

I was taught with Mixed Breeds, style it like it most looks like. Does that make sense? Meaning if it has wired hair, strip it, if the customer agrees to it. Remember most charge double the cost of grooming for hand stipping. Great pictures. Perfect hair for stipping. Good job!

Comment

Wow those doodles really do come in every possible shape imagineable. He's like some sort of hound! ANyway great coat for stripping - well done Maggy

Comment

But labradoodles are non-shedding, hypo-allergenic dogs, why would you hand strip them, it might "ruin" their coat. LOLOLOL

Sorry, had to say that.

I think anything that has that kind of coat can be hand stripped, but of course it really needs to be stipped to "look" like something, or I suppose it could be for the health of the coat and skin.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I didn't charge extra since it took me less time to card the fuzzies than to go from one snap on down to another until I found one that took JUST the wispies off. haha

Comment

I do a labradoodle with a coat like the one you're talking about. In fact if you saw it, you'd think it was some kind of large terrier mix. I use a stripping knife like a carding blade and get tons of hair off of her. Non shedding-HA!

Comment

Working...
                      X