Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there another way to save the severely matted coat of a Golden Doodle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most humane way to 'save the coat' is in a plastic bag after shaving it off the dog.

We can't un-do someone not brushing the coat properly. If someone invents a time machine, perhaps we can use it to go back in time to when the coat needed brushing to begin with and brush the dog. But until then, shaving it off is the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
      If the owners can't keep up with the coat, I won't try to cram two months of brushing into two hours on the table. It isn't fair to the dog and all saving such a coat gets you is the same situation two months down the road because you are acting as an enabler for the owners.

I'll try to save ears, tail and enough on the face to cute 'em up. The rest gets taken off with whatever slides easily under the mats.

Groomers don't cause dogs to mat up and require shaving. Owners are the responsible parties in those cases and I won't let owners con me into thinking I'm the heavy because I took the dog's side and shaved the bugger down rather than torture the dog with an extensive brushing session all for the sake of vanity.
      AGREE!!!

The fact that you are saying you had to use a 7 and in some places a 10 says to me the coat was beyond help.
      The magic wand for groomers hasnt been invented yet and until it is (and you can charge 5x's the regular grooming price for having to use it) there is no reason to try to save the coat of a dog that belongs to an owner who doesnt care about anything but looks.
      If you have told them to come in every week or every other week for routine brushing and they are still not brushing the dog or coming in then you just have to shave it. That is the only way the dog is going to stay comfortable and easy to groom on the table.
      We all know there is nothing worse than a doodle who is bad on the table for the groom!

Comment

Just wanted to say I had this exact situation come up and I used that logic wolfy and it worked.

Originally posted by wolfy-hound View Post
        The most humane way to 'save the coat' is in a plastic bag after shaving it off the dog.

We can't un-do someone not brushing the coat properly. If someone invents a time machine, perhaps we can use it to go back in time to when the coat needed brushing to begin with and brush the dog. But until then, shaving it off is the best bet.

Comment

OMG!!! People that actually think like I do, how nice! I do all of the doodles (anything from cockapoo to goldendoodle and everything in-between) . And I am so sick of idiot people wanting the dog just "neatened up and bathed or only an inch off (dog has a foot of hair) because they like the natural look and he's ugly shaved and then doesn't look like the breed then" when they refuse to comb, won't bring the dog in but twice a year and it's matted to the skin and so on. Of course they also expect this all done for the same price of a dog that was done every 6 weeks and isn't matted and to take the same amount of time. What complete ****! I won't do it, if you can't show me that you actually can and will maintain the coat then I will shave it. I might give you one chance if I can and you will be told how to maintain and shown how to maintain and if you don't next time fluffy won't be so fluffy and you then call him slick.

It is not fair to the dog, not fair to me and if the owner actually cared about the dog and not just how the dog looks the dog first of all wouldn't be in that condition to begin with and second wouldn't be asking me to brush it out which when its that bad yeah its painful period. I have had many bring in this type of dog when its been 6 months or more and ask for long pretty scissor clips and tell me that he's not matted (Really??? my 10 and 40 blade told a different story!). I've told a couple of people to go 6 months without doing anything to their hair (no brushing, no washing ect) and then try to brush it out and see how bad that hurts and how bad it looks and how long it takes because that's what they are doing or want to do to their poor dog who doesn't just have hair on the top of his head.

Not to mention the fact that doodles are not an actual breed! they are after all just mixes and have many variations in size, coat type, temperament, conformation and so on are drastically different from one to another.

Comment

Working...
          X