Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodlemanic
    replied
    I think she's beautiful! Love how you managed to keep some length, and I love her ears. Incidentally I posted somewhere here that I never see cockers and out of nowhere I now have 3 that i see regularly! All sweethearts. There's nothing like a happy cocker wiggling their little bodies when they're happy...so easy to see why they were the most popular dog for years

Leave a comment:

• Debbie
    replied
    YAY Kat!! I don't think you're a snob.

Originally posted by kat05 View Post
    Rossi,

Unlike Funky I have been in this business for 37 years and I have exactly the same mentality as Cockerlvr and Funky. Its their shop they run it their way. I refuse to do some things on dogs such as hula skirts, shorts on backs, give dogs pointed feet etc. I will do Yak cuts and stupid high water poodle feet because mostly those are old people. But if I am not happy with the way the dogs are when they walk out the door then why do this? I send them right down the street when they want things done other then my way. I am the most expensive place in my town. In fact today, the local competitions groomer/bather asked me to have coffee with her today, I have no clue why, but I suspect she wants a job. The other groomer in town asked if I did private lessons?, when I called her to ask if she did once a year dogs, so I would have somewhere to refer dogs. Now I have been called a grooming snob, not by my customers but by people in here. I am a grooming snob, I spend hundreds of dollars a year perfecting my skill, I am the professional. I don't tell my vet how to do surgery, I don't tell the stucco guy how to do his job, I don't tell my dentist how to pull my teeth...because they are the professional. Even when I go into a beautician I tell them you do this for a living make me look like Jennifer Aniston....but unfortunately no one has been able to do that. I make a good living, my vet owner is happy with me. I have grown a non existent business into a living for 2 of us. I now have a bather. I now have 6-8 dogs per day most times, in the summer we did 13-15 per day. I plan to up this total this summer. This coming up summer I plan to move my bather to a rougher/fluffer and hire a bather/fluffer. Do I lose customers, yes of course I do we all do. Do I have people coming back begging me to take them back after going somewhere else? YES! Most of my clients know I compete and they are always asking when my next competition is. I really don't care how anyone else does their salon, it's their salon. I do my salon my way. And let's be honest I am glad others do it differently so I have somewhere to send customers that want it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Poodlepuppy
    replied
    I think she looks good. Maybe blend the pattern line more with thinners.

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Originally posted by MagikAshes View Post
    NO Think the opposite, she didn't want to see any brown! She wanted the dog white all over! The dog by the way was not lightly spotted like speckles he literally had really big patches of brown! And he was typically put into a scissor clip, the only times he was ever shorter than a #2 comb was when she asked for it or I had no choice at all. This person drove me nuts every time, every single appointment she would come in with a list of stuff she wanted differently this time and so on took me at least 1/2 hour just to check the dog in. I actually ended up telling her to find another groomer. Between all of the **** I've already noted on the dog he also was older, twice the size of a regular cocker, hated being groomed or even bathed, had a ****** coat and skin problems- which she actually tried to blame on me and she expected me to get him done completely asap when she would only bring him in every 3-4 months and of course no brushing by her.

Sounds like a typical PIA but I bet she didn't want to see the ticking that came up with a shorter clip. I know a lot of cocker people, and they either love to see the ticking or don't like it at all.

Leave a comment:

• MagikAshes
    replied
    I shave a lot of short haired dogs down, if its done right and your blade is keep cool and you don't continually go over it, it doesn't cause problems. I've had all kinds of short haired and double coated breeds ask to be shaved down. In some cases the owners just plain can't handle the hair and the shedding, in others the dog has skin problems and reacts actually worse if not short. As long as it doesn't hurt the dog and the owner is happy It's fine with me.

Leave a comment:

• MagikAshes
    replied
    Originally posted by JOLIE View Post
    Spots ha! Got any dog show chalk lying around? Make him brown allover.. Look no spots just like you wanted!
    NO Think the opposite, she didn't want to see any brown! She wanted the dog white all over! The dog by the way was not lightly spotted like speckles he literally had really big patches of brown! And he was typically put into a scissor clip, the only times he was ever shorter than a #2 comb was when she asked for it or I had no choice at all. This person drove me nuts every time, every single appointment she would come in with a list of stuff she wanted differently this time and so on took me at least 1/2 hour just to check the dog in. I actually ended up telling her to find another groomer. Between all of the **** I've already noted on the dog he also was older, twice the size of a regular cocker, hated being groomed or even bathed, had a ****** coat and skin problems- which she actually tried to blame on me and she expected me to get him done completely asap when she would only bring him in every 3-4 months and of course no brushing by her.

Leave a comment:

• Rossi
    replied
    Kat,

Point taken, Last week I had a customer that had just moved into this area request that her White Lab be shaven with a #10 blade because that is what her previous groomer had done. After I took a look at her dog, I saw that her dog had scarring which to me looked like it had been burned, so I asked her how the dog got that way. She said that every time she came back from getting groomed, her skin was always irritated and red, but she like the dogs cut short because it kept them from shedding everywhere. I refused to groom her dog because I will always refuse to groom a dog if I believe that it is detrimental to the dogs well being, however saying that, if it is not going to physically harm the dog, I almost always groom as the customer asks. It may not be my preference or the way I was taught, but it helps grow my business.
    The great thing about having your own salon, is that you can run it as you want. I just know that when I had previous groomers that tried to groom clients dogs the way they felt the particular breed should look like and it wasn't what the customer had asked for, I was the one that had to hear the complaints.

Leave a comment:

• OntheBRINKofDisaster
    replied
    Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
    Three words: black nail polish. Lol
    Honestly, I know exactly what's she's talking about, but that gray goes back to black in about one day. It was also re-black if you rub oil on the nails. Not exactly a career-ruiner.

Next time try grinding the nails before the bath--often simply washing off the nail powder really minimizes the gray.
    Vaseline will do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Originally posted by kat05 View Post
    Rossi,

Unlike Funky I have been in this business for 37 years and I have exactly the same mentality as Cockerlvr and Funky. Its their shop they run it their way. I refuse to do some things on dogs such as hula skirts, shorts on backs, give dogs pointed feet etc. I will do Yak cuts and stupid high water poodle feet because mostly those are old people. But if I am not happy with the way the dogs are when they walk out the door then why do this? I send them right down the street when they want things done other then my way. I am the most expensive place in my town. In fact today, the local competitions groomer/bather asked me to have coffee with her today, I have no clue why, but I suspect she wants a job. The other groomer in town asked if I did private lessons?, when I called her to ask if she did once a year dogs, so I would have somewhere to refer dogs. Now I have been called a grooming snob, not by my customers but by people in here. I am a grooming snob, I spend hundreds of dollars a year perfecting my skill, I am the professional. I don't tell my vet how to do surgery, I don't tell the stucco guy how to do his job, I don't tell my dentist how to pull my teeth...because they are the professional. Even when I go into a beautician I tell them you do this for a living make me look like Jennifer Aniston....but unfortunately no one has been able to do that. I make a good living, my vet owner is happy with me. I have grown a non existent business into a living for 2 of us. I now have a bather. I now have 6-8 dogs per day most times, in the summer we did 13-15 per day. I plan to up this total this summer. This coming up summer I plan to move my bather to a rougher/fluffer and hire a bather/fluffer. Do I lose customers, yes of course I do we all do. Do I have people coming back begging me to take them back after going somewhere else? YES! Most of my clients know I compete and they are always asking when my next competition is. I really don't care how anyone else does their salon, it's their salon. I do my salon my way. And let's be honest I am glad others do it differently so I have somewhere to send customers that want it that way.
    Woot woot!

Leave a comment:

• kat05
    replied
    Rossi,

Leave a comment:

• plaidjaguar
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiff View Post
    My manager originally said that on cockers that have short hair to use the high pattern and to drop it as they grow out. I keep wanting to drop it and even mentioned to my manage today about doing a lower pattern. She thought that it would look hula skirt like since the dog is a bit chunky. I've just recently completer my 100 dogs and got on commission, so I still defer to my manager quite a bit. Maybe next time I can get away with dropping the line.
    You have no idea how many patterns I've fixed by "accident." I just drop the pattern, say nothing, and if I get called out on it I say the dog moved. Lol

Leave a comment:

• plaidjaguar
    replied
    Originally posted by Moo View Post
    I had a lady complain about her walk-in nail grinding a few weeks ago. I did notice that the dog was a wiggly butt, and that my newer bather had done it, so I went out to take a look.

I asked her if they were left too long, and I knelt to look at the dog. She stated that they were "all wrong, she took all the black off the ends." What? The nails looked fine to me, but I like seriously short nails, so I would have personally done them shorter. I took the dog back, and did them in my incredibly OCD short and round way. Nope, still wrong. They were all grey. Yes. The nails were all grey. Well... yeah, I ground the ends off. She said that the other groom shop ground across the left, then across the right, leaving a point, and that was the correct way. Then she said "They have to be done right- he's a show dog."

I was sort of left speechless there. Who shows their dog with their nails GROUND TO A POINT? I explained why this was healthiest for the feet, and that I'd never done a show dog with pointy nails. And she finished by asking if I could grind them to a point next time, if she asked for it specially. Ummm hmmm...
    Three words: black nail polish. Lol
    Honestly, I know exactly what's she's talking about, but that gray goes back to black in about one day. It was also re-black if you rub oil on the nails. Not exactly a career-ruiner.

Next time try grinding the nails before the bath--often simply washing off the nail powder really minimizes the gray.

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Quoting Rossi "Well, Funky...I had a groomer who also listened to customer requests and then proceeded to do whatever cut he thought was appropriate and he found his way out of a job very quickly....I'm all for grooming to standards in competitions, but when your dealing with pets, you better cut the way a customer requests...IMO" end quote

Originally posted by funkypuppy View Post
    ya know, in my (admittedly few in comparison to some of my peers) years of grooming, through two different states, with two ENTIRELY different kinds of "local preference"... ive never had a problem slowly changing styles on a client's dog. very few have ever noticed when their schnauzer went from a 10 on the back to an 8.5. my LARGE westie clientele cant figure out what i do differently than other groomers (i use a 2 or 4 cc, not a 7, and i take that pattern down where it belongs!).

i guess maybe im just lucky.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Same here! People come to you because they like what you do. If they don't like it they can go down the street to the groomer who does 10's on cockers, schnauzers or Westies. People don't know what they want and I rarely if EVER get a request so specific I couldn't modify it.

I have had people say shorter shorter shorter. I simply tell them a 7 is as short as I go, period. Unless it's matted to the skin, that's it. Go down the road, I'm not doing it.

I refuse to shave labs. Even when I worked for a salon in Vegas where labs get shaved all the time I didn't lose my job. I flat out told the employer that I would not do them at the interview. It was not a problem, the other groomers just did it.
    Last edited by cockerlvr; 12-09-13, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• funkypuppy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rossi View Post
    Well, Funky...I had a groomer who also listened to customer requests and then proceeded to do whatever cut he thought was appropriate and he found his way out of a job very quickly....I'm all for grooming to standards in competitions, but when your dealing with pets, you better cut the way a customer requests...IMO
    ya know, in my (admittedly few in comparison to some of my peers) years of grooming, through two different states, with two ENTIRELY different kinds of "local preference"... ive never had a problem slowly changing styles on a client's dog. very few have ever noticed when their schnauzer went from a 10 on the back to an 8.5. my LARGE westie clientele cant figure out what i do differently than other groomers (i use a 2 or 4 cc, not a 7, and i take that pattern down where it belongs!).

i guess maybe im just lucky.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• JOLIE
    replied
    Spots ha! Got any dog show chalk lying around? Make him brown allover.. Look no spots just like you wanted!
    Last edited by JOLIE; 12-09-13, 12:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X