Ear Cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Cleaning question

I was taught to wet cotton ball with cleaner and gently wipe out ears. However, I read where other groomers fill ear with cleaner, massage then wipe out excess after dog shakes its head. Would like to get feed back on how you all do it!

It depends on the cleaner I think?

I was taught early on to never put the cleaner in the ears but later on instructed by my mentor groomer to flush the ears.

I use epi-otic advanced which has drying agents in it and the bottle instructs to "apply liberally into the ear canal".

Comment

Thanks Rik

Comment

I learned from this forum, I think it may have been Double Dog Dare, to never flush the ears out with anything. We don’t know if there is a ruptured ear drum that could be made worse by flushing.

I heeded her advice. Let the vet do it. I only clean what I can see. And I use non-Alcohol baby wipes.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
          I learned from this forum, I think it may have been Double Dog Dare, to never flush the ears out with anything. We don’t know if there is a ruptured ear drum that could be made worse by flushing.

I heeded her advice. Let the vet do it. I only clean what I can see. And I use non-Alcohol baby wipes.
          I miss DDD
          I have never thought to use non alcohol baby wipes....might just try that
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yes, Its a Best Dog Ear Cleaner Solution. It will clean the ear without any issue. So you can clean the ear from home without vet easily.
            You can see how to use the ear clean at home - how to treat dog ear infection without vet

Comment

I don't flush ears either. I clean the ear leather well but that's it. I found an aloe based product and it really soothes and cools those warm or hot ears that need vet attention. No flushing though. In fact I am old school where I was trained to put cotton ball in each year to let absolutely no moisture get down in the ears.

Comment

I flush in the tub with shampoo and water. Funny. We almost never have ear infections come in.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

I'm an ear filler. No matter the cleaner, I fill it, squish it, let the dog shake and clean out any excess with cotton. I also put cotton in the ear during the bath.

Comment

Working...
                    X